• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Anime's Full Trailer Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Divineking wrote:
I'm curious as to how many of the people complaining actually know how this part of the manga worked...I wasn't expecting it to be ridiculously high budget and for what they've shown so far it looks decent in my opinion. Not amazing but certainly not worth the some of the complaints here. Part 1 of the series doesn't really get into flashy battles till the second half, and even then it's nowhere near as over the top as the rest of the franchise. I'd think it would be best to at least withhold judgement till we see the actual fight scenes.

Exactly. The problem is that most people know of JoJo as that crazy & flashy action title that features outrageous stands that everyone fights with... And when they see Part 1 footage, which is almost completely different in execution, they complain that it isn't what they were expecting. Well, everything has to start somewhere, and with JoJo it started with a focus on slow-paced, horror-inspired storytelling with little action scenes, and those that were there weren't in the same style as what the series became known for.

Also, like you said, Part 1 doesn't go into crazy action until the second half, and everything that's shown in the trailer is from the first half of Part 1, which is slow, somewhat brooding, & nowhere the same type of style that JoJo would end up being known as. For all we know, the studio could be holding back on the budget for these slower early scenes so that they can save the money for the action sequences in the second half of Part 1. It's too early to really judge the entire thing, but for what the trailer was covering it looked good. Honestly, it's like people are treating this worse than when Bee Train animated Blade of the Immortal.

But, then again, people seem to love over-hyping themselves & getting disappointed, since it happens time & time again to the point where people have made jokes about that very behavior. For me, just being able to see JoJo animated as a TV series was awesome enough; the fact that there's stuff like Takehito Koyasu voicing Dio, a Yes song being used for an ending theme, and animation that actually looks good and similar to the early days of Araki's style (i.e. crazy poses & metrosexuality are at a bare minimum) just makes me all the happier.

I am in the same boat. I am real glad that JOJO is getting animated in general and that the song "Roundabout" by YES is getting used as the ending.
And just like you both mentioned, Part 1 is so different from what JOJO is later known for. Also how Phantom Blood plays out as this subtle horror inspired story slowly building the foundation to a long battle between the Joestar Family and DIO.
I really don't know what else to say, since the both of you have said so much already lol.......oh maybe I should say this, this series asks for something many viewers might have lost...which is patience. This is a story that will ask for some of our patience and I hope it will pay off.

So please enjoy Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, ARRIVEDERCI!
Oraculo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Production values look pretty crummy there, but I guess everyone will give it a pass due it being Jojo.

Yeah it didn't really look good,but voice acting sounds rather impressive.

Two words. "Takehito Koyasu."
Anyway, for me, VA quality always trumps video quality, so I'll be watching regardless.
aereus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
As others have admitted: This is an old franchise, and one they know will probably not move a lot of units -- hence WHY the budget is low.

You can't just be happy that you're getting the story animated?

Go watch Violinist of Hameln and then talk to me about low budgets Wink
ridiculus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

Actually most of the fans of Jojo are now obsessed fangirls I believe,pretty much all the stuff that was published after part 4 was followed by its female fanbase.I seriously don't know any guy(expect from Jason Thompson) who followed it with enthusiasm from then on.

You should not talk about things you don't know Wink .

Sorry, I was sort of joking, but I had to do that.

There is a lot (and I mean a LOT) of misinterpetation and disinformation in this thread, and by that I don't allude to opinions on the quality of the anime based on the trailer, but the general attitude toward JoJo's position in the today's market (excluding a few knowledgable fans).

There is much differance between JoJo's position in Japan and USA. I am pretty much surrounded by Japanese media and I can assure you that there is no shonen manga with higher reputation (not to be confused with 'popularity', measured in the commercial terms of copies sold) and cultural (not to be confused with SUBcultural) relevance in Japan than JJBA. And nevermind it isn't 'shonen' anymore, because its origins are. There are many famous artists, writers and fellow manga-authors who regard JJBA as their favorite or one of the favorite manga ever, from Banana Yoshimoto and Otsuichi to Sho-u Tajima and many Capcom video-game designers. Do you know who, from all the Japanese comic artists, was selected last year by Nikkei Business (a respected financial magazine) as one of the 100 most influential people in Japan? Araki, of course.

Many JoJo's fans are more than happy to give 5000 yen or more for a 'mere' T-shirt with some JoJo motif, but they are generally not anime fans, so you may be right about the targeted public for this show.

Last edited by ridiculus on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
JoJo can regarded as very influencial and very popular, but it doesn't mean anything when it comes to sales. Lupins new series just went on sale, and its one of those "Super influential series", yet its projected to be outsold by the Spit fetish show. Theres a major difference between being very popular and actually making money. When you got a late night TV slot like this new JoJo show has, you need to be popular among the otaku fanbase to make money, not the mainstream.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Theres a major difference between being very popular and actually making money. When you got a late night TV slot like this new JoJo show has, you need to be popular among the otaku fanbase to make money, not the mainstream.
And yet someone keeps buying all the JoJo's merchandise they're putting out every single month, otherwise they wouldn't keep producing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ridiculus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
JoJo can regarded as very influencial and very popular, but it doesn't mean anything when it comes to sales. Lupins new series just went on sale, and its one of those "Super influential series", yet its projected to be outsold by the Spit fetish show. Theres a major difference between being very popular and actually making money. When you got a late night TV slot like this new JoJo show has, you need to be popular among the otaku fanbase to make money, not the mainstream.

That's true, but as I said, I was refering to the JoJo franchise as a whole, not the anime series.

JoJolion sold more than 200 thousand copies in its first week, and that is pretty impressive for a seinen series with monthly rhythm of publication. And there are tons and tons of merchandising stuff, from clothes and food to figures and even smartphones, and many of those things are the cream of the crop in their categories. Very expensive, that is.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Not really this is first time that Jojo is adapted in TV series unlike Lupin who has already has 100 adaptations of its work.Not to mention that the newest Lupin is a bit different kind Lupin.Also that spit fetish show is awesome.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I'm here in Japan and I'm seeing the complete opposite. It's people who have grown up who still buy and read Jojo stuff. The day slot is for kids and people who don't have jobs here, like many housewives and older senior citizens and such. Jojo is a mainstream series, but it seems to have enough of a niche of people who are willing to spend their time and money on the nostalgia that I can bet the anime won't be relying on just its DVD sales. Besides, as I can tell, Jojo just SCREAMS figures and toys and such if they actually do end up making enough to convince the broadcasting companies to move its time-slot up.

It's still borderline in terms of predicting the outcome of the sales, for sure. But I just don't see it failing. Lupin III is a bad example because it actually doesn't have many figures and other merchandise commonly being sold here outside of the Miyazaki movie-based stuff.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
Well regarding the sales, 2ch predicted the Fall sales using about 400 members estimating the sales, and they've got Jojo at around 3500 sales... a bit higher than I'd expect, but not setting the world on fire or anything.

Here are the rest:

19,786 - Little Busters!
16,624 - Magi
12,315 - K
11,740 - Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
10,703 - Gintama (2012) [reruns plus some new episodes]
10,668 - Psycho-Pass
*7,986 - Initial D Fifth Stage
*7,640 - Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
*6,847- To LOVE-Ru Darkness
*6,379 - Robotics;Notes
*5,816 - Busou Shinki
*5,419 - Zetsuen no Tempest
*4,921 - Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo
*4,608 - Shin Sekai Yori
*3,770 - Girls und Panzer
*3,645 - Code:Breaker
*3,463 - Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken
*3,291 - Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
*2,968 - Hayate no Gotoku: can't Take My Eyes Off you
*2,740 - Oniichan Dakedo Ai sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!
*2,686 - BTOOOM!
*2,647 - Jormungand Perfect Order
*2,254 - Seitokai no Ichizon (2012)
*1,974 - Sukitte Ii na yo
*1,767 - Hiiro no Kakera 2
*1,685 - Kami-sama Hajimemashita
*1,200 - Bakuman. 3
*1,100 - Ixion Saga DT
*1,028 - Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de
**,785 - Teekyuu
**,523 - Medaka Box Abnormal
**,465 - Ebiten: Kouritsu Ebisugawa Koukou Tenmonbu
**,357 - Litchi Hikari Club

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
opn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
In a normal season jojo might of had a chance of doing quite well...but this season is different. Fall has 4 big fujoshi shows (K,magi, gintama 3 and psycho pass) and the chances of jojo out preforming those four are slim to none. The older crowd might buy it but that didn't work well with hxh but since its taking kurokos timeslot maybe it'll increase manga sales. And personally i thought the PV was great but eh whatever.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
opn wrote:
In a normal season jojo might of had a chance of doing quite well...but this season is different. Fall has 4 big fujoshi shows (K,magi, gintama 3 and psycho pass) and the chances of jojo out preforming those four are slim to none. The older crowd might buy it but that didn't work well with hxh but since its taking kurokos timeslot maybe it'll increase manga sales. And personally i thought the PV was great but eh whatever.

Jojo isn't not taking Kurokos timeslot, its taking Accel Worlds timeslot (and being paired up next to To Love Ru Darkness), which is a late nighter. I'm not sure exactly what is taking Kurokos timeslot though.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
opn wrote:

Jojo isn't not taking Kurokos timeslot, its taking Accel Worlds timeslot, which is a late nighter. I'm not sure exactly what is taking Kurokos timeslot though.

It will be airing on MBS too and the timeslot its taking from there is kurokos. Dont know about the tokyo MX slot though.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
opn wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
opn wrote:

Jojo isn't not taking Kurokos timeslot, its taking Accel Worlds timeslot, which is a late nighter. I'm not sure exactly what is taking Kurokos timeslot though.

It will be airing on MBS too and the timeslot its taking from there is kurokos. don't know about the tokyo MX slot though.

http://randomc.net/2012/09/15/fall-2012-preview/

JoJo’s Bizzare Adventure The Animation
24:30 MX (10/5)

The initial airing is the most important thing for the demographics its aiming at, since they are the station on the production committee and will be doing the ads and stuff.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
opn wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
opn wrote:

It will be airing on MBS too and the timeslot its taking from there is kurokos. don't know about the tokyo MX slot though.

http://randomc.net/2012/09/15/fall-2012-preview/

JoJo’s Bizzare Adventure The Animation
24:30 MX (10/5)

The initial airing is the most important thing for the demographics its aiming at, since they are the station on the production committee and will be doing the ads and stuff.

I dont get why they had the first airing be the otaku timeslot (AW) and not the fujoshi one (kurokos MBS timeslot) where it would be the only possible demographic it could appeal too at late night but eh whatever i doubt that wouldda done much though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4