• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - More Than Meets The Eye

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Zump wrote:
That OmniProductions dub is nothing less than a gift from God, and I'm quite sad that they didn't include it on any of Shout! Factory's releases. Just the fact that they mispronounce ("Roadimus Prime") and even change (Soundblaster --> New Soundwave) some of the names makes it a barrel of laughs.

Brian Ward from Shout! Factory did admit that they tried to include the OmniPro dubs, but Hasbro denied them because of how bad they were. Apparently, Hasbro doesn't get the concept of "So bad it's godly".
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Showing off my nerd cred a little, I do have a episode of the GoBots toon on 16mm! Not sure why I bothered to buy it but I have it!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Hey, I remember the Gobots, had those Valkyries and SDF-1, and even the transforming Daimos truck! Laughing

Murder, She wrote:

Like, in the 80s, robots turned into vehicles first. Later, dinosaurs, insects, and animals would be added. This all made a certain kind of sense; you could pretty much envision meetings of toy execs and designers all agreeing that the only things kids would love more than robots that turn into trucks and planes are robots that turn into dinosaurs and tigers. But man, the Rock Lords? They turn into rocks.

Oh c'mon, even Tom Hanks character in his breakout movie BIG had the transforming skycraper! Laughing

As he put it:

• After he gets a job at the toy company, there's a scene where Josh is in a meeting and they're discussing a new Transformers toy. It's a giant skyscraper that turns into a robot. After playing with it for a little while, Josh announces, "I don't get it. It turns from a building into a robot, right? Well, what's fun about that? What's so fun about playing with a building? That's not any fun!" and he then goes on to brainstorm ideas for a new line of Transformers based on insects.

Zalis116 wrote:
Allow me to comment more on the introduction than the body of the article...

Quote:
Last week, I was talking to translator extraordinaire Neil Nadelman, who happens to be a good friend of mine. He'd recently wrapped up a long series (Sentai's Psychic Squad) and was ruminating on the pretty extreme volume of translation and subtitling work he's completed over the years.

And he's not a translator extraordinaire merely by sheer volume, either. I view him as one of the best in terms of actual script writing -- not in terms of "inventing/changing stuff", but in terms of producing scripts that let the material shine in English, far better than a straight/standard translation ever could.

I recall the "battles" between Trish Ledoux and Neil about what a professional translator and a fansubber should be! Laughing
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
I didn't know that car was from space cobra. machine robo was different with seasons. they toys are cool, but the show is pretty bad.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
hey Mike, how old are you?
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
For Shout's Transformers anime DVDs? I'm surprised to hear this.

From everything I've seen, Shout simply took the subtitles as used on the UK/Australian sets (translated by others), and simply inserted in a whole bunch of anachronistic terminology that isn't in the Japanese dialogue, like AllSpark some 12 years before the term was actually coined, etc. By all accounts, the PAL sets, while hardly perfect, have far more accurate subtitles.

Point of clarification: Neil was involved in fixing some technical aspects of the subtitles, and mentioned this in passing to me. I don't believe he did any translation or rewriting. I've been told a lot of that weird jargon was due to Hasbro.

SD Maruko-kun wrote:

Well, that seems to be a small error there. From the looks of it, it has 2 micro-missile launchers, so it's a Super Valkyrie, not a Strike Valkyrie.

Same difference!! :D

Also, a pal from twitter pointed out that, while most of the Gobots we know and love only fleetingly appeared in Machine Robo, at best (you can spot some of them in the background of the 2nd ED animation), Cy-Kill actually had a small role late in the series:

The more you know, etc.

Joe Carpenter wrote:

I'm 36.

And yeah, I'm bummed that none of the Shout Factory sets included that amazing dub, featuring Six-Shot, the Ninja Consultant for the Decepticons! The original TRANSFORMERS TAKARA UK dvd yielded some of the earliest DUBS THAT TIME FORGOT clips that I would run at con panels back in 2002, and it always got some big laughs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I've got another question. Did the cartoon series "Challenge of the GoBots" ever make it to Japan? And if it did,I wonder what they thought of it?
Brack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
To further confuse things, in the UK, the Machine Robo toy line was called Robo Machines and IPC produced a Robo Machines comic strip in the revival of classic anthology comic, Eagle.

This had a different continuity/characterisations again to both Machine Robo AND Challenge of the Gobots.
vermilionone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Thanks Mike!

After reading this, I want to find my old Go-Bots and maybe buy Psycho on eBay. I'm not sure if I should go for a MIB or a loose one though.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Oh c'mon, even Tom Hanks character in his breakout movie BIG had the transforming skycraper! Laughing

As he put it:

• After he gets a job at the toy company, there's a scene where Josh is in a meeting and they're discussing a new Transformers toy. It's a giant skyscraper that turns into a robot. After playing with it for a little while, Josh announces, "I don't get it. It turns from a building into a robot, right? Well, what's fun about that? What's so fun about playing with a building? That's not any fun!" and he then goes on to brainstorm ideas for a new line of Transformers based on insects.

And then had an idea for a digital comic book that gets shot down for being too early to the party! Twisted Evil

Mike Toole wrote:
Point of clarification: Neil was involved in fixing some technical aspects of the subtitles, and mentioned this in passing to me. I don't believe he did any translation or rewriting. I've been told a lot of that weird jargon was due to Hasbro.

Oh Hasbro, why do you mock us?

Quote:
Also, a pal from twitter pointed out that, while most of the Gobots we know and love only fleetingly appeared in Machine Robo, at best (you can spot some of them in the background of the 2nd ED animation), Cy-Kill actually had a small role late in the series:

The more you know, etc.

And knowing's half the battle they say!

I'm still amused Machine Robo did find a way over to France where it was aired as a Gobots sequel. Not that the same could've happened over here then, but sad they didn't go that far.

Quote:
Joe Carpenter wrote:

I'm 36.

I'm getting up there!

Quote:
And yeah, I'm bummed that none of the Shout Factory sets included that amazing dub, featuring Six-Shot, the Ninja Consultant for the Decepticons! The original TRANSFORMERS TAKARA UK dvd yielded some of the earliest DUBS THAT TIME FORGOT clips that I would run at con panels back in 2002, and it always got some big laughs.

A shame if they didn't get them.

A "what-if" I often have about the dubs there is wondering how different it would've been had it got sent to someone else (say Intersound)? The world may never know!

And because I teased about it earlier, here's some pics of the 16mm episode of GoBots I had to grab out of storage! What's interesting is that the print's leader was labeled "Challenge of the Machine Men", and I wasn't sure if that was a goof or the guy who labeled it simply didn't care to know the title alone but after unspooling it a little, I got my answer. Apparently this was some alternate title for the show, perhaps for international release where they might not be able to use the "GoBots" name or such, though the episode title itself still uses "GoBots" anyway so go figure!

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2