• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rightstuf changes Free Shipping policy for Canadians.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEFFMAN219

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
so what happens if I order only $90 worth of stuff will i get charged duty fees too with shipping and do i pay for the shipping to canada post when they deliver my package to me
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
*bangs head against wall*

Canadians - there are no duty fees on TRSI packages.

As I've already said, about a billion times in this thread alone, you pay A EFFING HANDLING FEE OF $9.95 AND YOU WILL PAY EFFING SALES TAX DEPENDING ON YOUR PROVINCE.

HOLY SHIT, HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND???

If you order less than $250 of stuff from TRSI they will charge you shipping. Look at their FAQ to see what the rates are.

Jesus Christ.
JEFFMAN219

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Lool ok my bad because someone told me that u get charged with duty fees when you order from rightstuf. And are you sure that you get charged provincial taxes when canada post delivers your package to you because during the summer i bought the dragonballz dragon box five from an american seller on Amazon.ca and I didn't get charged with provincial taxes.
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
They could called them "Convenience fees" or whatever, every time I see that big ugly yellow sticker on my opened box, I know I must pay at least the equivalent of an extra boxset. I couldn't care less if they're really duty fees or not, I just know that I just got ripped by the CBSA.

In my case, it means that a $ 50 purchase will come to about $ 67.50 ( 33 % charge !), $100 = 125 and a $ 250 = nearly $ 300.

Canada Post is going down the drain so of course the government must find other ways to compensate their losses.
manicli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand why you guys are so pissed about the taxes and handling. You pay the same taxes on everything you buy so I really don't see a problem there unless you think the taxes are too high. As for the $10 handling fee, that is a bit much. It really should be $5.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Sensei Terry Silver wrote:
Making smaller orders, maybe 1 or 2 boxsets at a time to keep the bill under $ 50 in order to escape the claws of the customs agents but pay $10-14 shipping. Add maybe an extra $ 15 if the package gets delayed at the customs.

I don't think this will save you any money. Even if it does let you avoid any customs fees* you're going to be paying $50-75 in shipping fees per every $250 with of merchandise.

For a single $250 order you'd pay $10 handling and at worst 14% tax (depending where you live) so that's another $35 for a total of $45. So yeah. This is absolutely the way to go.

*and I don't know that it will. Everything from Rightstuf seems to get charged these days.
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I dont understand why people are complaining to be honest.

Here is what you should do:

1) Make Bigger orders in terms of dollar value and less orders over the year (So instead of making 12 orders/year you only make 4 or 6 orders per year). This will allow you to get free shipping from righstuf.

2) By following 1 you should also be able to pay less Handling fees ($10/order) over to Canadian Post.

3) The tax you can do nothing about given it will all probably add up to practically the same amount in the end. No matter how you do it.

Here is an example (The numbers used are just for easy of understanding). Also can I just point out that I live in Australia and I dont know about the appropriate tax rates for customs, etc.

Big order

Basket amount = $1200
Shipping = FREE
Handling Fee = $10
Tax (approx 14%) = $168

Total = $1378

12 smaller orders- Assuming each item is worth $50

Basket amount = $1200 (12 orders x $100)
Shipping = $168 ($14 X 12 orders)
Handling Fee = $120 ($10 x 12)
Tax (approx 14%) = $168

Total = $1656

Difference = $278

Make your own excel spreadsheet and work out what works best for you and do your own research
JEFFMAN219

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
so would it be better for canaidans just to buy anime from amazon.ca
because theres no hassle
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
It's true that in hindsight, the whole tax issue is silly because they're the same taxes that we pay for everything else, with an extra 10 bucks added to them.

It's just the "spend more to save more" logic that baffles me. $250 purchases are harder to fit (and to justify !) in the monthly budget than $150.
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Sensei Terry Silver wrote:
It's true that in hindsight, the whole tax issue is silly because they're the same taxes that we pay for everything else, with an extra 10 bucks added to them.

It's just the "spend more to save more" logic that baffles me. $250 purchases are harder to fit (and to justify !) in the monthly budget than $150.

Hence making LESS ORDERS PER YEAR.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
I live in the States, so I'm not feeling this, but a good trick is simply to pad out your order with items that aren't available yet, and which are being released on dates that are vastly spread apart. Wall scrolls, lithographs, figurines, manga, manhwa, whatever. Actually, you could think of this as an excuse to make all those pre-orders that you want to make.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
I really don't understand why you guys are so pissed about the taxes and handling. You pay the same taxes on everything you buy so I really don't see a problem there unless you think the taxes are too high.

Well, there used to be a day when you didn't. Once upon a time I was able to order everything from Rightstuf and completely avoid paying any tax. I guess I can't complain that they've closed that loophole but I find it irritating none the less.

JEFFMAN219 wrote:
so would it be better for canaidans just to buy anime from amazon.ca
because theres no hassle

Sure, if you like paying literally twice the price. For whatever reason, anime on Amazon.ca is ridiculously overpriced. I mean, forget deals like Rightstuf has, you're lucky if you pay much less than MRSP, especially for BDs.

Timesplitter 01 wrote:
I don't understand why people are complaining to be honest.

Not everyone spends thousands of dollars a year on anime. Unless they're willing to wait a very long time between orders, many people will find it quite difficult to reach that $250 number. At best it's a big pain in the ass. I mean, I really don't want to wait half a year to get a show I want.

Gatherum wrote:
I live in the States, so I'm not feeling this, but a good trick is simply to pad out your order with items that aren't available yet, and which are being released on dates that are vastly spread apart. Wall scrolls, lithographs, figurines, manga, manhwa, whatever. Actually, you could think of this as an excuse to make all those pre-orders that you want to make.

To what end? Rightstuf only ships Canadian orders once all items are in stock. So yeah, you could do this but only if you want to wait ages for everything to actually be available.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Gatherum wrote:

To what end? Rightstuf only ships Canadian orders once all items are in stock. So yeah, you could do this but only if you want to wait ages for everything to actually be available.
Well....actually.....no......they recently burned me on that. I did a bunch of pre-orders and threw in some stuff already in stock to my pre-orders (plus so I could get the free shipping). I had all my orders nicely portioned out so I could afford them by the time the pre-ordered items became available. However, 2 nights ago, they decided to take ALL of the In Stock items I had on order and ship it all in one go (leaving behind my pre-ordered items because they weren't available yet). I was basically charged almost $1500, I kid you not. I called to complain and to see if they could stop the shipment but it was already too late.

I was super SUPER choked that they did that to me. I buy a few hundred dollars worth of Anime a month so I have no idea on what possessed them to think I could afford over $1.4 worth of Anime/Manga. Thankfully I have been working a bunch this past month so I should be able to pay off half of my orders this coming pay day, but I will definitely have to sell off a portion of my things to get my money back. So angry that they pulled that crap on me.

But anyway, I would be very very careful with how many In Stock items you put in with your pre-orders, if you plan to do more than one, to get the free shipping deal. You don't want to get burned like I did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote
@ Rukiia - yeah, I found out the hard way that in-stock items get cut loose after about 4 months too. My bill was only a little more than a third of yours, though. Ultimately, however, that saved me some cash. I had something like five orders which would have meant five handling fees. By shipping a ton at once in one big package, plus one of the super helpful reps there (big shout-out to Shayna!) collected the remaining items as they became available and then sent them as one package too, I only had 2 handling fees.

After thinking about it, this TRSI change will save me money too. As someone already pointed out: fewer orders, fewer $10 handling fees. But it also works like this:

Let's say I have a $1000 TRSI budget. And let's say to avoid having a whopping all at once total to pay, I spread that amount out over the year with four $250 packages to get free shipping. That's $40 in handling charges.

Under the old $150 system, to stay within the $1,000 budget, I could get 6 packages for a total of $900 and have $100 left over. The reality is that I would spend another $50 to get a seventh free shipping package. So my total cost for the year is $1050 + $70 in handling fees. In other words, $1,125 under the old $150 system, versus $1,000 under the new. I'll take it.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Timesplitter 01 wrote:
I don't understand why people are complaining to be honest.

That's all very true and accurate, but what bums me out the most is I learnt from experience that the best way to convince new people to buy anime was to make them aware that Rightstuf exists, so they can realize that anime is cheaper than they expected. But with the minimum now bumped to 250$, the incentive for potential new (Canadian) customers is just not there anymore.

Maybe this change is a good thing for those who buy thousands of dollars worth of anime a year, but it's definitely a deal breaker for those who buy only once (or want to buy for the first time). Just trying to see the big picture here, and honestly I just can't think of it as a good idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10