• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Aniplex of America Announces the Garden of Sinners Limited Edition DVD Box Set Details and Relea

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
if it was in theatres it was probably a super limited screening

Originally it was shown at one cinema in Shinjuku only. Once it became more famous it was apparently shown in 8 cinemas around the country. Actually lots of anime movies get very limited theater runs in Japan.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
I really don't understand all the hate about this set. I understand that people want a lower priced BD set. Considering the original MSRP was almost $800, because it was an import, but some got it for around $400. Then there was the issue as to whether the quality was any good. That is a concern when you're spending that type of money. My question was buying the $800 the same as buying it at $400?

I also understand that technology has to move forward, but what I don't like is how the companies are "baiting" people in doing so. By limiting what is put on a standard in exchange of something better. You have to admit it works. But then again they've been doing this when it was just VHS vs Beta, or VHS vs DVD. Then later HD vs BD now it's just BD. But let's not forget streaming which is the new thing but unfortunately you don't get extras (correct me if I'm wrong on that part).

I'm one of those people that doesn't own a BD player. If I had one then I'd have no problem shelling out $400 or $800 for that matter. But I try to stay away from buying pricy imports like this because I've already shelled out hundreds of dollars (in the past) for imports that are now sitting on my shelves taking up space, because who knew that the odds were in favor of releasing the ones I thought never would've made it stateside?

I do have to admit the LE BD set was gorgeous. The only complaint anyone had is that it wasn't dubbed to reach a wider audience (personally I prefer subs anyway, but I will accept a good dub in the company of those that don't watch subtitles). In the future maybe one day I'll have one, but for now I don't. All I have cared about was to ONE day own this series and enjoy it on a TV instead of a computer screen (fansubs). My only concern is how this release will stack up against the BD. Since people kept complaining about the quality after shelling out $400. Will the quality be good? Will there be any problems with the disc? For $150, it's steal but it isn't if the DVDs don't hold up to standards. As tech always has flaws no matter how good someone thinks it is.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
@Chrno2

A Blu-ray player is dirt cheap these days ($39 for LG, Sony, Samsung BD players) and US BDs are also cheap, so you've got no excuse man! Smile

I'm sure they're just reusing the Japanese encode so I think the DVDs will look fine.. for DVDs that is. It will still suck to upscale them to 1080p and your BD fansubs will still look better (especially if they were filtered). Nonetheless I've resigned to getting these since I missed my chance. Maybe Aniplex will release a US BD version in a few years or license it out to someone else who will do a BD release with dub perhaps
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I've been one who has cracked the sads at Aniplex's pricing for things like Fate / Zero and Garden of Sinners BDs so, in fairness, I have to say, at $20 per movie, I think the price is very reasonable. If Madman doesn't release it in Australia on DVD then I may well import it via Right Stuf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't think you would be able to do that. As far as I can understand Rightstuf will only ship this product to US or Canadian addresses.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't think you would be able to do that. As far as I can understand Rightstuf will only ship this product to US or Canadian addresses.

How sad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
@Chrno2

A Blu-ray player is dirt cheap these days ($39 for LG, Sony, Samsung BD players) and US BDs are also cheap, so you've got no excuse man! Smile

I'm sure they're just reusing the Japanese encode so I think the DVDs will look fine.. for DVDs that is. It will still suck to upscale them to 1080p and your BD fansubs will still look better (especially if they were filtered). Nonetheless I've resigned to getting these since I missed my chance. Maybe Aniplex will release a US BD version in a few years or license it out to someone else who will do a BD release with dub perhaps

Yeah, I guess your right. I may have to invest eventually. I was just over at NIS' side because they're releasing Umineko, and it seems it's almost a BD only. Not to mention some companies are kinda bending over backwards to give you 2 sets of DVDs, BD and standard to help make the transition. But I just wasn't ready to leave the old format behind yet. Mainly because I didn't have a BD player and I felt I was being denied a series. Plus, I had a wait and see attitude about the format itself. Because let's be honest they are sort of forcing you to buy something by denying it somewhere else. Hey it's what made Sony king when Nintendo didn't do FF7 right. And did folks buy a Playstation just to play? But it's not just me that feels this way. But I'm fully aware, that this is the way things are done. So to some degree it may be time to get one. It's funny I rave over this but yet I did go out of my way to buy LD and a region free player just for import DVDs, but at this time I just don't want to spend that type of money anymore unless I know for a FACT the series isn't coming over. But it looks like that fad might start up again once some old titles start going BD. Laughing Laughing But since I already will be getting this I probably will have to decide if I want the series again on BD should that occur. I hate redundancy but sometimes you can't help it.

But this is a series that does deserve a good dub to reach a wider audience.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:07 am Reply with quote
The Japanese BD box retailed without tax for roughly $650. $800 is too much even at the worst possible time for JPY to USD exchange rates.

This DVD box looks awesome as far as North American limited editions go. I'll totally be picking it up so I don't have to go through the trouble of opening the BDs to watch a film anymore. It's such a tedious process because of the felt wrapping.

I'm thinking they will do an non-limited release for this also so everyone has a shot. I'll buy that one up as well!
Ahasuerus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I seem to recall that the first LE sold out incredibly fast. As far as "Limited Edition" and pre-orders go, how "limited" will this set be, and how long to you think I can reasonably wait before ordering this LE?

I've long regretted missing out on the first and don't want to lose this chance; it's my favorite anime. The money is not an issue (aside from not having it); I consider it fair trade for having all of KnK Cool

I figure it'll take a couple of weeks to put the $$$ together; can I wait that long or is it likely they'll stop taking pre-orders before then?

I really hate leaving anything to chance Laughing
Neon_Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how difficult the Japanese is in these movies? It's not GITS hard is it?

If it's not too bad, I might pick up the (at about 75 euros) much more reasonably priced French release...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
@ Ahasuerus (and sorry I'm late with an answer) - first, it is impossible to predict how long the title will be available. Some AoA LEs have gone OOP incredibly quickly, others are still available even after a year or more.

If I were you I'd keep an eye on ANN's retail forum. If, for example, the KnK DVD LE sprouts a counter at TRSI, that is generally a sign that supplies are getting low and you'd be advised to act quickly. There is an AoA solicitation thread in the forum already ... check it occasionally because that's where you'd probably see news of the type of talking about, first.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
While the set is not exactly cheap, it balances out to approx $20 a movie - a price point comparable to what Discotek media charges for older anime movies and OVA's. Not a bargain but I think it's fair, and I'm seriously considering this set if I feel finances can pull it off.
Ahasuerus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Ahasuerus (and sorry I'm late with an answer) - first, it is impossible to predict how long the title will be available. Some AoA LEs have gone OOP incredibly quickly, others are still available even after a year or more.

If I were you I'd keep an eye on ANN's retail forum. If, for example, the KnK DVD LE sprouts a counter at TRSI, that is generally a sign that supplies are getting low and you'd be advised to act quickly. There is an AoA solicitation thread in the forum already ... check it occasionally because that's where you'd probably see news of the type of talking about, first.

Thanks for your reply Smile

I called TRS yesterday and they couldn't estimate its chances of being sold out at pre-order. But they did say that they don't BILL the customer until the item ships. Which means that while you can pre-pay now, you'll have to make sure that you have that $150 in the account on November 20th!

Not sure at this point if I can plan that far ahead, but this set is something I Need To Have Now Laughing

I also feel that way about Madoka and Stein's;Gate's LEs, but I figure they'll always be available in some format. But with KnK I can't take that chance on, even though I'll bet they'll release the individual movies eventually. Just not betting money LOL
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
@ Ahasuerus - yep, that's true that TRSI doesn't bill you until they ship, but you have to be a bit careful. Sometimes items are available and shipped out before their "official" street date. So if you are thinking with KnK, for example, "oh, I'm safe until November 20th," you might be, but it could ship earlier than that. I don't expect this with KnK, but I've heard of items shipping a month ahead of their official release date.
manicli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
@ Ahasuerus

What blood said is true though a month is rare, of all the preorders I've had I've only had one ship before the street date and that was only a week in advance. Also I heard that if you credit card is declined you have a chance to call them and make it right Smile So it should be just fine if you preorder now I would think. Also credit card companies give you usually atleast 2 weeks to pay your bills.

I personally hope they'll be a bit late since my budget is already overboard with the sale of Heaven's memo pad on today's daily deal. If anything I'll pay my bill in December since I got 20 days to pay it anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5