• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
More Nyaruko? Most excellent.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
polemarch wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
kanechin wrote:
F**k no! (rest of rant omitted)

This will make a good copypasta for /a/. Thank you.

On-Topic:

This is the Spring 2012 rankings (only 3 shows made it past 10,000. What a crappy season.)

Temporal Blu-ray + DVD Sales Rankings for Spring 2012 (the first volumes)
*1, 41,121 Fate/Zero 2nd Season
*2, 21,997 Kuroko no Basket
*3, 10,424 Accel World

There seems to be a lot of data missing, considering that each volume of Nisemonogatari sold around 45,000 copies. This weeks Blu-Ray rnaking according to Oricon is: 1. Fate/Zero (41,121 copies), 2. Kyokai no Horizon 2 vol. 1 (17,825 copies), Gundam Seed HD Remaster Box 3 (10,078 copies).

And to get on-topic Nyaruko vol. 4 is at the third place of yesterdays (09/27) daily Blu-Ray charts.

source: https://ranking.oricon.co.jp/index.asp?cat_id=rank

None of those shows are Spring anime other than Fate/Zero (which he did list), so why would they be on the list he posted?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I'd say that not only does Binbougami-ga! match it in humour (the Death Note parody in a recent episode was hilarious), but it also has far more heart than Nyarko-san.

There have been quite a few good Anime Comedies lately. Polar Bear Cafe is consistently funny, SKET Dance has been an enjoyable 'Dramedy', and Acchi Kocchi was an extremely adorable Slice-of-Life Comedy.

All of which were thoroughly trounced by

Too bad Good Game is slow with this one.

I would agree with DTM about bimbogami and joshiraku is easily the most under valued comedy of the past year.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
More adorable Shantak-kun is good news.
And yes, I've love Polar bear cafe- a comedy anime without fanservice...and Joshriaku is surprisingly good as well.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
With this DxD, Nyrako, TLR are all getting sequels. Now I just need IS season 2 and Id be set.

At the angry guy chill out. You make it sound like Nyrako doing well takes away from another show. Just because a show did well does not mean it took anything away from a show you liked. If a show you liked did not do well, it would not have done any better had Nyrako not existed.

And if it wasnt for those otaku who pretty much hold up the anime industry, I would wager the only anime ever made would be the occasional ghibli film, which have managed to find relatively main stream support. It only because core otaku shows do well that there is room for experimentation with other shows.

I am not a terribly big fan of Durarara, I like Celty and a couple of other characters but because its an ensemble we dont get enough focus on certain characters. Besides I thought Bacanno was a much better show. But just goes to show, apparently Durarara sold well in Japan and all we get in the US are overpriced set releases, while Baccano got singles and then a cheap set release.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
All of which were thoroughly trounced by

I knew I was forgetting one. In fact, two, as there's also Seitokai Yakuindomo.

At the moment - Joshiraku and Polar Bear Cafe aren't finished yet - these would be my rankings in order from best to worst:

Binbougami-ga - mixed funny parodies in with actual heart and great characters (rated as Excellent)
Nyarko-san - Kuko is hilarious, also good parodies and references, but the lead male is fairly lame (rated as Excellent)
Acchi Kocchi - frickin' adorable, great Slice-of-Life show as well as a Comedy, but there isn't much of a resolution (rated this as Very Good)
Seitokai Yakuindomo - crass it may be, it is also very funny although I've been finding the OVAs aren't as funny as the T.V. series. (maybe the humour is getting stale?) (I rated the T.V. series as Very Good)
Joshiraku - it's witty and has great banter, and the fansubbers have done a fantastic job translating the puns across, but much of the humour is still lost on me
Polar Bear Cafe - on the surface this show should not be funny but I always find myself enjoying it and I laugh out loud at least once per episode
SKET Dance - it has heart and the Manga-ka obviously is better at writing Drama than Comedy, which sometimes leads to supposedly funny episodes just falling completely flat (I've finished this and rated it as Good)

scineram wrote:
Too bad Good Game is slow with this one.

Speaking of which, they released the ninth episode. I need to go watch that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Joshiraku - it's witty and has great banter, and the fansubbers have done a fantastic job translating the puns across, but much of the humour is still lost on me

Not being Japanese and inherently understanding pop culture references that never make it here, or little things in society that don't stand out are problems that you could associate with Gintama's humor as well, at times. There's tons of lost jokes in that series, but most of it tends to be universal enough, and I find the same holds true with Joshiraku.

Nyaruko relies on tons of game, anime, and Lovecraft references, so it's all about knowing what to look out for ahead of time, and catching them as they fly by. If you weren't familiar with Lovecraft's works, even some his short stories, you'd miss the jokes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you weren't familiar with Lovecraft's works, even some his short stories, you'd miss the jokes.

Not knowing anything about Lovecraft I may have missed some of the jokes, but I still found it funny.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you weren't familiar with Lovecraft's works, even some his short stories, you'd miss the jokes.

Not knowing anything about Lovecraft I may have missed some of the jokes, but I still found it funny.

^this
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Same here, although it was better when I did get the references, I really loved the episode with all the Haruhi references when they were trapped in a game.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
F**k no! Why this s**t. I tried not to release my anger, I thought it wouldn't get worse but I'm fed up. I'm tired of this f*****g otaku pandering. I do enjoy a little bit of moe, ecchi and lolis ONCE IN A WHILE but I like plot & interesting characters not constantly released cliche crap with s*****y romance and flat characters who happen to strip. Why not Durarara season 2 or animate the rest of Full Metal Panic. How about the part of the Rurouni manga that wasn't animated? No we get more moes**t, bet we'll get k-on movie 2 & 3 and yuru yuri season 3 & 4. I hate your otakus now Japan. If I find out there won't be a 2nd season of Danshinichijyo (bad enough it's manga was cancelled) I'm gonna break s**t.

I feel you man, well maybe not on the alternatives, but you know... just let it go. Really, it isn't worth it.
Ermat_46 wrote:
kanechin wrote:

On-Topic:

This is the Spring 2012 rankings (only 3 shows made it past 10,000. What a crappy season.)

*3, 10,424 Accel World
*2, *9,455 Hyouka

I will be anticipating my new season of Kuroko no Basuke next spring, Glorious Nippon!!!
yu3lora

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
Awesome! Great news!
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
kanechin wrote:
F**k no! Why this s**t. I tried not to release my anger, I thought it wouldn't get worse but I'm fed up. I'm tired of this f*****g otaku pandering. I do enjoy a little bit of moe, ecchi and lolis ONCE IN A WHILE but I like plot & interesting characters not constantly released cliche crap with s*****y romance and flat characters who happen to strip. Why not Durarara season 2 or animate the rest of Full Metal Panic. How about the part of the Rurouni manga that wasn't animated? No we get more moes**t, bet we'll get k-on movie 2 & 3 and yuru yuri season 3 & 4. I hate your otakus now Japan. If I find out there won't be a 2nd season of Danshinichijyo (bad enough it's manga was cancelled) I'm gonna break s**t.

I feel you man, well maybe not on the alternatives, but you know... just let it go. Really, it isn't worth it.
Ermat_46 wrote:
kanechin wrote:

On-Topic:

*3, 10,424 Accel World
*2, *9,455 Hyouka

I will be anticipating my new season of Kuroko no Basuke next spring, Glorious Nippon!!!

Yes on kuroko please no on everything else, they either ended well or I have had enough of them already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3