• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What will happen to the future of anime dubs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Domayv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Quote:
I think Scott turned union or he wasn't able to get back to the Funimation studio to reprise his role in FMA: BH, and I'm pretty sure that man resides in Canada, since he voiced in Gundam 00.

He was always with Ocean since the founding of that studio.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
I'll tell you right now that Ko-n was a non-union dub because Laura Bailey voiced in it and she still does work with Funimation (non-union).

Could the fact that she is non-union be why Laura Bailey's name was never in the credits on the K-On! or K-On!! discs?
I know that her work on those is not supposed to be a secret because she has them listed on her own web site. I was always curious about why she was not in the credits.

As for the future of dubs, as long as dubs are profitable there will be dubs. When dubs stop being profitable there will be no more dubs.
Personally, I will support dubs as long as they are made, assuming that I want to watch the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
mostly likely.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
As I've said before, my reluctance to use the term 'anime' may be weird for some of you, but here's my $2. Considering if Bandai get revitalized in the next 10 months or so, then we may see AGE dubbed(not South East Asia) and maybe see Victory, X, Turn A, Igloo, ZZ(Not Hong Kong) and that will be all of Gundam dubbed. Unicorn for obvious reasons is technically not a dub.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Could the fact that she is non-union be why Laura Bailey's name was never in the credits on the K-On! or K-On!! discs? I know that her work on those is not supposed to be a secret because she has them listed on her own web site. I was always curious about why she was not in the credits.

I posted on here (this topic), that if it's a non-union project and a union actor works on it, they won't be listed in the credits, so not to get in trouble. I'm sure Yuri Low does it a lot, he loves working on anime, he's not going to let union get int he way of something he loves. Steven Blum did a few times, he's not listed in the Bleach games, but he did the voice for Ulquiorra and didn't return to do the voice in the anime. Freeman won't work non-union, not sure what he did for Naruto.

I think a lot of anime is non-union work and I think VAs expect that because it's such a niche market, and they have another job to cover for them and/or live with someone to pay their way through life. Couldn't tell you why Funimtion or Sentai wouldn't out-source more if the cost about the same, it might be because they don't see a reason since they have their own directors, engineers, ect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4