Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kokoro Connect BDs/DVDs to Use Different Opening Theme


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4034

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
While I agree that costumers should have influence on what they buy, why punish the rest of the production stuff? The ones that started this mess was the PR team of Kokoro Connect. It is not fair that other members of the stuff, who were not involved in this mess, are going to pay for the mistakes of others if Kokoro Connect releases are boycotted.


If people thought like this nothing would ever change in business. If no supported the Montgomery Bus boycott just because "well, those innocent accountants/janitors/drivers would get a paycut/let go to compensate for the loss in sales", then nothing would have changed and blacks would still be forced to sit at the back of buses because people we're too 'considerate' to make waves. Yeah, it sucks for those people, but that's how it goes when it comes to boycotting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 1183
Location: Iscandar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
While I agree that costumers should have influence on what they buy, why punish the rest of the production stuff? The ones that started this mess was the PR team of Kokoro Connect. It is not fair that other members of the stuff, who were not involved in this mess, are going to pay for the mistakes of others if Kokoro Connect releases are boycotted.


If people thought like this nothing would ever change in business. If no supported the Montgomery Bus boycott just because "well, those innocent accountants/janitors/drivers would get a paycut/let go to compensate for the loss in sales", then nothing would have changed and blacks would still be forced to sit at the back of buses because people we're too 'considerate' to make waves. Yeah, it sucks for those people, but that's how it goes when it comes to boycotting.



With all due respect, you analogy is stupid. The Montgomery Bus boycott was needed because blacks in the south were being mistreated and in some cases killed. You cannot compare the suffering of African Americans with a bunch of butthurt, crazed Japanese otaku.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Surrender Artist
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 01 May 2011
Posts: 2971
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, TitanXL, you really should use a more appropriate metaphor, like how if the Nazis hadn't proclaimed, "Kauf nicht bei Juden!" Their campaign of antisemitic terror and systematic oppression might not have gotten off the ground.

Edit: Upon consideration, invoking the Nazi boycott of Jewish businesses and ensuing events for trivial rhetorical purposes is not really more acceptable than what I have criticized TitanXL for doing. I regret and apologize for that.


Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4034

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
With all due respect, you analogy is stupid. The Montgomery Bus boycott was needed because blacks in the south were being mistreated and in some cases killed. You cannot compare the suffering of African Americans with a bunch of butthurt, crazed Japanese otaku.


Or perhaps you say that because it makes you rethink your stance on the subject to see it applied to a more relatable case to you? That is the purpose of analogies, after all.

Funny how you use the word 'buttmad' and 'crazed' though. I imagine that word is used in most boycotts so people could be dismissive towards an opposing side.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 1183
Location: Iscandar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
With all due respect, you analogy is stupid. The Montgomery Bus boycott was needed because blacks in the south were being mistreated and in some cases killed. You cannot compare the suffering of African Americans with a bunch of butthurt, crazed Japanese otaku.


Or perhaps you say that because it makes you rethink your stance on the subject to see it applied to a more relatable case to you? That is the purpose of analogies, after all.

Funny how you use the word 'crazed' though. I imagine that word was used in most boycotts so people could be dismissive towards an opposing side.


I suppose you are happy that, according to Wikipedia, the last 4 episodes of Kokoro Connect will not be televised.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4034

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
What I'm happy with is of no importance to the bigger picture. That's why most so-called boycotts fail. People want their cake and to eat it as well. For all the people who complain about video game companies like EA or Activision they still buy their products because "oh, well, we want to play the games.. we just wont be happy about it." As if companies care so long as they get the consumer's money. No, I'm not 'happy' if the series is cut short, delayed, or whatever, but it's a sacrifice one makes to send a message. An unfortunate situation to be in, but if it helps reinforce the consumer's control over the market and to not stand for certain practices, then so be. It's not like I'm hurting for stuff to watch or anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 1183
Location: Iscandar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
What I'm happy with is of no importance to the bigger picture. That's why most so-called boycotts fail. People want their cake and to eat it as well. For all the people who complain about video game companies like EA or Activision they still buy their products because "oh, well, we want to play the games.. we just wont be happy about it." As if companies care so long as they get the consumer's money. No, I'm not 'happy' if the series is cut short, delayed, or whatever, but it's a sacrifice one makes to send a message. An unfortunate situation to be in, but if it helps reinforce the consumer's control over the market and to not stand for certain practices, then so be. It's not like I'm hurting for stuff to watch or anything.


So, the big lesson learned from this is: anime production companies do not piss off the angry otaku mob if you do not want your series to be cancelled.

I would not be mad at the boycotters if they were defending something important. They are wrong in punishing the production staff because they disliked a tasteless promotional stunt.

Sure, costumers can protest with their wallets, but they do not have the right to harass innocent people online.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5085

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Sure, costumers can protest with their wallets, but they do not have the right to harass innocent people online.


While the morons who harassed KitaEri are, quite frankly, morons, Kikuchi Hajime has no one to blame this on but himself, it was his being a dick to Momoi Halko that originally brought all this to light.

Yes, some fans (like half a dozen, on /a/) acted like idiots, but that doesn't excuse what actually happened.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Surrender Artist
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 01 May 2011
Posts: 2971
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
With all due respect, you analogy is stupid. The Montgomery Bus boycott was needed because blacks in the south were being mistreated and in some cases killed. You cannot compare the suffering of African Americans with a bunch of butthurt, crazed Japanese otaku.


Or perhaps you say that because it makes you rethink your stance on the subject to see it applied to a more relatable case to you? That is the purpose of analogies, after all.

Funny how you use the word 'buttmad' and 'crazed' though. I imagine that word is used in most boycotts so people could be dismissive towards an opposing side.


Seriously? Holy... Oh my go... I... Je.... What the...

Nooooooo!

No.

You don't get to act indignant and righteous, at all. What you did there, that drawing of an analogy between the Kokoro Connect controversy and the civil rights movement is wrong. It is a bad thing and you make yourself a worse person by doing it. It trivializes something serious and important to make a cheap point about something ultimately petty in comparison.

The people who took part in the Montgomery Bus Boycott were members of a socially and legally marginalized group descended from people who were forcibly torn from their lives to be crammed into horrible ships, surviving an arduous voyage across an ocean to be sold into a lifetime of forced hard labor with no real rights. They won freedom only after centuries at the cost of more than a half a million lives, only to be met with widespread scorn by people to whom they were supposedly now equals and subjugated again by law, forced to accept inferior conditions under the pretense that they were equal, political disenfranchised and afforded scarce protection by the judicial system. The Montgomery Bus Boycott was a fight on behalf of a millions for some real and important that people risked their safety, stability and lives for. By contrast, this strange, sad little controversy involves a handful of staff who did a pretty lousy thing to Mitsuhiro Ichiki, who might be unhappy for a while, quite justifiably so, but not much more. Otaku are not an oppressed underclass drug down by centuries of brutal enslavement who are inferiors before the law, deprived of opportunity by society and isolated from civil society by laws that prevent them from voting or attaining office.

There is no great historical injustice here. The stakes are quite small. The two are not in any acceptable sense comparable. Putting a major historical event with serious implications and consequences on par with something destined to become an obscure trivia question for rhetorical convenient is not right. It is reprehensible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa



Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 928

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
This is sad, I actually liked "Paradigm," though not as good as "Hiyoku no Hane" from Yosuga no Sora.

I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced the OP theme with the second OP. In fact, OP2 came in at such an odd time that it wouldn't surprise me if that sudden change was also a result of this issue.

Regardless, could this mean that recording/owning the TV release could be a gem for the future?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hypeathon



Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Posts: 937

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Seriously? Holy... Oh my go... I... Je.... What the...

Nooooooo!

No.

It's like one of those sitcom moments where a character is speechless and the laugh track or studio audience laughs on hysterically for 30 seconds.

But seriously, though I am also quite baffled by what TitanXL said. ANY event regarding fighting for civil rights in the 50s and 60s due to oppression is not the same as this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5085

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
So can we put aside the horrible analogies and discuss the actual situation at hand, which people keep trying to minimize and dismiss?

Anyone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4034

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
So can we put aside the horrible analogies and discuss the actual situation at hand, which people keep trying to minimize and dismiss?

Anyone?


What else is there to discuss? Seems open and shut to me. Some staff messed up and now they're paying for it, despite a few people's claims that consumers should have no say or right to boycott.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 460

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
With all due respect, you analogy is stupid. The Montgomery Bus boycott was needed because blacks in the south were being mistreated and in some cases killed. You cannot compare the suffering of African Americans with a bunch of butthurt, crazed Japanese otaku.


Or perhaps you say that because it makes you rethink your stance on the subject to see it applied to a more relatable case to you? That is the purpose of analogies, after all.

Funny how you use the word 'buttmad' and 'crazed' though. I imagine that word is used in most boycotts so people could be dismissive towards an opposing side.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but, as angelmcazares and Surrender Artist already mentioned, you're making a really travestial mistake equating the Kokoro Connect publicity stunt fallout to the Montgomery Bus Boycott, as the former features the tabloid-themed controversy of a publicity stunt gone wrong, while the latter displays a historical event of injustice. Make no mistake, I don't defend what the production staff did to Mitsuhiro in their publicity stunt; in fact, I found their actions to be reprehensible. However, I'm pretty sure that it won't be too long before the folks will put this small controversy to bed and move on. Besides, last time I recalled, the underground group of otaku hasn't been on the receiving end of human rights violations of any sort.


Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5085

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Kokoro (Mind) Connect


Err...I hate to diverge again, but...what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group