• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fan Expo 2009 Guests

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhuhn

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, many guests from previous cons in Toronto are returning, but two will make their first appearences to a con in Canada.

- Scott McNeil (Made several appearences in Toronto with the last one in March 2006)
- Crispin Freeman (Attended Fan Expo 2007)
- Brad Swaile (Made a few appearences in Toronto, get your Death Note books ready for him.)
- Colleen Clinkenbeard (Didn't I mention she would make it up for her postponed appearence last March?)
- Aaron Dismuke (Attended Fan Expo in 2006)
- Monica Rial (First visit to Canada, Tsubasa fans might know her as Sakura)
- Brina Palencia (First visit to Fan Expo and outside the United States; does Juliet in Romeo X Juliet)
- Derek Stephen Prince (Attended last year's Fan Expo)
- Lee Tockar (Recently added, had minor roles in some anime shows including Gundam, Inuyasha and Death Note.)
- Yoshinori Ono (Producer for Street Fighter IV from Japan)

Remember that more could be attended in the next couple of months, where some could cancel their appearence. Keep watching for any new updates.

Last edited by jhuhn on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:48 pm; edited 6 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Excellent! I get to tell Monica how much I adore her, and I get to tell Crispin that his Kyon almost ruined TMoHS for me.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
CRISPINNNNN!!!!! How could Kyon almost ruin it for you, the character or crispin? If it wasn't Crispin he would've just been some gay school kid like the rest of them on the show. Anyways, I saw Crispin at Fan Expo 2007 but unfortunately he left just before I got to meet him Sad And as I followed him, the guy who owns my local comic shop stood right in my way and started talking to me as I was freaking out, lol. If I go, I'm gonna try to not miss him again, although I probably will with the staff at that stupid convention, last year they allowed everybody as much time as they wanted at the voice actor signing panel, and omg the wait was horrendous because they wouldn't kick anybody out, and after waiting for 3 hours in line, some people didn't even get to meet them because the convention building closed, I feel bad for them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, in fairness to Freeman, I don't think my objection to Kyon had so much to do with his performance as it was the character itself and, in particular, his virtually non-stop voice-over narration. After the 300th sardonic, monotone, not-always terribly funny or interesting "observation" in any given two minute span of the series, the schtick got a little annoying.

I would have loved to have watched one episode - JUST ONE EPISODE - free of the Kyon filter.

I had no problem with Freeman's Haji in Blood+ which further leads me to think my burning hatred of Kyon has more to do with the character than the dub performance.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, in fairness to Freeman, I don't think my objection to Kyon had so much to do with his performance as it was the character itself and, in particular, his virtually non-stop voice-over narration. After the 300th sardonic, monotone, not-always terribly funny or interesting "observation" in any given two minute span of the series, the schtick got a little annoying.

I would have loved to have watched one episode - JUST ONE EPISODE - free of the Kyon filter.

I had no problem with Freeman's Haji in Blood+ which further leads me to think my burning hatred of Kyon has more to do with the character than the dub performance.

Ah, personally everyone in Haruhi annoyed me to some degree, so I don't really care if you found Kyon annoying, haha. If you had said Crispin was annoying in Wolf's Rain or Scrapped Princess, I would've said something is wrong with you Wink
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Colleen back. Having Brina and Monica show up for the first time is neat, too.

But can we please have a Japanese guest this year, Hobbystar? Please?
jhuhn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
To get to the Fan Expo as quickly as possible, it's best to get an advance pass like I did since it will have goodies and a reusable bag. The pass would also be good to all Hobbystar events right to July 2010.

Of course, it may not worek for those that have taken the long trek to this event, as I have been seeing fans that have travelled from the US, and even from the Atlantic Canada region.

This year should be another thrilling event with costumes, including Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, and even DVDs and video games that are on sale before its official release in stores. I'm guessing that Beatles Rock Band might be one of them. Last year, I was one of the first to obtain a copy of Mario Super Sluggers.

I myself will be looking forward to seeing Monica to get me to complete my Tsubasa poster with the exception of Mokona, which I have yet to acquire from Carrie Savage, as I did not attend Anime North 2009. I hope she attends next year's Fan Expo though.

It's too bad no seiyuu from Japan attended at this year's event again. But I'll do my best to see if someone there will help me out if they are free for that weekend and enjoy their visit to Canada. Maybe someone from Fresh Pretty Cure, Bleach, Inuyasha Final Act or Naruto Shippuuden might be willing to attend Fan Expo 2010...we shall see.

We had about 59,000 fans attending this year's Fan Expo. We hope to break the 60,000 mark when we do this all again for Fan Expo 2010 in Toronto for August 27-29, 2010.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1