• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken - Bleach Girls DX Nell

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
It's a shame you didn't bear through the Bount Arc, Rob. It got better towards the end, plus the manga Arrancar arc started immediately after it ended, and it's pretty nice. Still no Nell on AS though, no idea when she shows up.

I like the toy too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the Arrancar names, if I remember correctly, they're based around Spanish stuff, hence the rather exotic names, sort of like the Bount's were based on German.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I could buy the Spanish-sounding arrancar names idea, except their swords use actual Spanish, but their names are incomprehensible.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
In regards to the Arrancar names, if I remember correctly, they're based around Spanish stuff, hence the rather exotic names, sort of like the Bount's were based on German.

I never noticed the Bounts' names being based in German. Interesting catch there.

The Spanish original of everything Arrancar and Hollow seemed obvious though. Heck, they're from a place called Heuco Mundo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:31 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I never noticed the Bounts' names being based in German.

That's because they're not. I mean, Kariya Jin, Souma Yoshino, Udagawa Ryou, etc.? It's their dolls and techniques that have names. (Mostly.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:08 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
It's a shame you didn't bear through the Bount Arc, Rob. It got better towards the end, plus the manga Arrancar arc started immediately after it ended, and it's pretty nice. Still no Nell on AS though, no idea when she shows up.

I like the toy too!

I'd say somewhere in September cause that's when the Hueco Mundo Starts,though it'll be small nell though. As for who'll palay as both versions of nell in the english dub version i have some ideas on older nell but it sound too farfetched even for me though for small nell it might be the same girl who played as younger version of naruto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Not a Bleach fan, but I love this figure! The character design is neat and looks like its been sculpted nicely.

I came across these put-together UFO figures at the last con I went to, and for $20ish, they don't dissapoint!
http://uselessthoughts.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/banp_cc.jpg (Not my site >_>)
Managed to get that C.C. (although my boyfriend helped put it together for fear that I would snap something off >_>) but its sure nice! I want to look for more UFOs of my favorite characters now Smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
it sound too farfetched even for me though for small nell it might be the same girl who played as younger version of naruto.

That would be the same person who plays older Naruto now, Maile Flanagan. It's the only anime voice she does, I'm not sure if she's interested in branching out. However, both are handled through STUDIOPOLIS so I guess anything is possible.

I have to say, these UFO catcher PVC statues have been exceptional lately. They've become very dynamic and well detailed over the years and are quite large. It's getting so that there's little advantage in buying a $80 statue over one of these $15 statues. I'm a big fan of articulation, but even I've been getting bit by the UFO bug lately.

They still need to work on their assortments. At their size and price they should be able to churn out more characters more often, but then that would take away some of their point as prize items. However, i think they could make even more money as prizes if they had the sense of being part of a series you'd want to complete rather than just the typical pairings.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
well those UFO catcher statues wern't that special, compared to those BCZ battle scared statues and those of Cooler,but this new nell statue is interesting.

Hopefully it's price will be some what smaller if it ever comes out in the US.

Also the voiceover was farfetched even for me.Who you think might end up as nell for both versions???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
it sound too farfetched even for me though for small nell it might be the same girl who played as younger version of naruto.

That would be the same person who plays older Naruto now, Maile Flanagan. It's the only anime voice she does, I'm not sure if she's interested in branching out. However, both are handled through STUDIOPOLIS so I guess anything is possible. Emerje

I don't think that'd be easy. Naruto is a union dub, but Bleach is non-union. That's why you never see big names like Steve Blum, Crispin Freeman, Dave Wittenberg, Kari Wahlgren, or Mary Elizabeth McGlynn voicing characters on Bleach. I think Steve Blum was Ulqiorra in the games, but Tony Oliver took over for the anime because the games were union but not the anime. But Maile Flanagan doesn't do much anime though; so for all I know, she does both union and non-union like Johnny Yong Bosch and others.

I can't think of a good female VA for Nell though, especially since I don't know the character nor how her Japanese voice sounds. There's a few English VAs who do the little girl niche, I assume one of them would do it.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I can't think of a good female VA for Nell though, especially since I don't know the character nor how her Japanese voice sounds. There's a few English VAs who do the little girl niche, I assume one of them would do it.

We're diverging from the topic, but...

Nel (that's the accepted short form) as a child spoiler[has a very loud and shrill voice, kinda tomboy-ish. She also slurs her speech badly (calls Itchigo "Itsygo") and is very raunchy and considers herself a masochist. ]

As an adult in the Japanese dub there's a major change. Her voice is soft and exceedingly high, it's very shocking when you first hear it, it's such a sharp contrast. You expect something more like Orihime, but it's possibly even more childish than her child voice.

Both voices are kinda hard to picture coming from the same actress, but if I was to pick one I'd probably go with Maryke Hendrikse. Her resume isn't very long yet, but she's shown that she can do a surprising range from bubbly and girly (Tabby from .Hack//Roots) to loud and vulgar (Revy from Black Lagoon). Neither voice sounds like the other and to be honest I don't want Nel in the English dub to have that whispering voice. I think under the right direction she could pull out a really great version of both forms.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
the thing that really got to me was... Rob's married?
lol
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

I don't think that'd be easy. Naruto is a union dub, but Bleach is non-union. That's why you never see big names like Steve Blum, Crispin Freeman, Dave Wittenberg, Kari Wahlgren, or Mary Elizabeth McGlynn voicing characters on Bleach. I think Steve Blum was Ulqiorra in the games, but Tony Oliver took over for the anime because the games were union but not the anime. But Maile Flanagan doesn't do much anime though; so for all I know, she does both union and non-union like Johnny Yong Bosch and others.

actually everyone who watches bleach knows crispin played as Rukia's older brother in the anime series since i'm probably the only one who still watches AS. However everyone was really disapointed they didn't use blum for that arrancar.

And depending on how the union does this when the late epsiodes of the huceo mundo arc start getting into production,you may be right about they using a orihime style voice for young nell,which isn;t bad but does leave question for older nell. Hope that isnt the case.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

actually everyone who watches bleach knows crispin played as Rukia's older brother in the anime series since i'm probably the only one who still watches AS. However everyone was really disapointed they didn't use blum for that arrancar.

Dan Woren voices Byakuya Kuchiki, not Crispin Freeman. And I have watched Bleach on AS throughout the entire run, including the Bount Arc. So have many others, judging by its recent domination of the Saturday Ratings.

Everyone on Bleach we can assume is either non-union or dual-status somehow. My bet is they'll recycle a VA from the show to voice Nel, like how the Visored Hiyori is voiced by the G. K. Bowes, who voiced Senna in the first Bleach movie. Maybe Kate Higgins? Now we're just speculating about voices and not actually discussing the toy. Razz
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
At 25 dollars, this is a steal. Instead of buying all those "sexy" loli figures anime fans buy, this would look somehow alot more sane. I might look into buying this, despite not liking Bleach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2