• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Umineko - When They Cry (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

Oh well, the anime's not getting a season 2, I heard most of the DVDs are barely making 200 copy's a release.

Not that it really makes much of a difference at the moment, because they're still quite low, but according to these figures initial sales were 1,170 for the first DVD and 612 for the Blu-ray. If you have an actual source for the "barely 200" claim then it would be interesting to check that out. Either way, I also believe a second season is rather unlikely but there's little harm in waiting to see how things turn out.

Other than the above...there's not much else I can say. Haven't actually started reading the visual novels yet, though listening to the soundtrack reveals quite a few tracks that either didn't show up in the anime or they were remixed.
quoththeraven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry of this is considered necroposting, but i'm over at a friend's house who frequents these forums and he baited me into finishing up Umineko. And he really couldn't answer the question on my mind, so hopefully someone here whose less speculative and more fanatical about the series.

Like so far, is the point of this series

"Believe in your Delusions because Reality Sucks and Everything will be Ok?"

I'm referring to the last story arc with Maria as a witch. I mean, in what you folks refer to as "meta world" she is a witch.

But back in "reality," she's a girl so starved for attention that she talks to a stuffed animal and brings little rabbit figurines around with her. And none of her magic is capable of "saving Sakutaro" from his initial death at the hands of crazy momma.

I mean the invitation to believe in Magic, and by extension the existence of Beatrice, in this series seems to be something to the effect of willing oneself into a form of psychosis. Laughing
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote
Damn, I thought this was a brand new series. I was gonna say something like "Comparisons between the two series are going to be inevitable."
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
@ quoththeraven

Magic is a way to make the truth look better. Maria wanted to believe that Rosa would be home early and would love her. When she was hurt Maria said it was "the black witch" who took over Rosa.

She believed magic was the cause due to her own interest in the subject. So Maria decided to make the truth of what was happening seem like it was all magic on her part. Even when it really wasn't, it was just Rosa getting mad at her and beating her, and ripping Sakutaro. (Which latter Ange is able to talk to him due to the fact she was part of the group Maria made with Beatrice )

It's explained a little more in the VNs how magic and fantasy fit in to the truth. (I believe episode 5 with spoiler[the gold truth] explains things a bit more )

Any way the TIPs drama CD comes out with volume 6 of the anime DVDs.

I'm looking foreword to Beato's White day getting fully voiced
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Why does every post seem as ambiguous as the series? I dont get why spam like this is here. useless thread indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
Seriously why are people rating this series so harshly? Sure it doesn't add up to the games, but in terms of anime , it blows away almost any show you can think of.

I gave it a 10. It doesn't deserve a 7.21... Thats only reserved for perverted ecchi's and old 60s & 70s animes mainly.

I honestly think the average user should be rating it at least between an 8 and a 9.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote
I agree with you, Aoi. Umineko is one of my favorite series. I think it is a complex masterpiece filled with intrigue, deception, desperation, and extreme desire along with a lot of gore. Smile

I watched it simply because it was part of the Higurashi franchise and was definitely not disappointed. I would love to see a second season as many things were left a little open. I've never played the games, but I had no difficulty following the series, no problems with pacing or animation quality, and, for me, that's a big deal. If the series has an interesting concept and meets my ridiculously high standards for script, pacing, music, and voice acting, it's an amazing series. Even if the concept weren't there and it had enough going for it to keep me interested and engaged, that would still be a big factor in how I rate it. There's something to be said about a well structured and paced show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
I actually think the 5th arc/game would adapt really well into an anime.... probably the best arc to adapt imo.. and it's also the peak of the Umineko VN's as well I have to say...

Ending is totally awesome, new characters introduced really added to things as well and some things start to fall in place (than the 6th just went lol) Though I could be biased since I'm a big Battler/Beato fan I still think unbiased that it's the peak of Umineko.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
I agree with you, Aoi. Umineko is one of my favorite series. I think it is a complex masterpiece filled with intrigue, deception, desperation, and extreme desire along with a lot of gore. Smile

Thank you. I think the character designs made this anime just lovely. Unlike Higurashi, which took a while to get used to (youngins), I was in love pretty soon. It was hard to understand (since I watched it before Higurashi), but by no means a train wreck.
I'd probably rank Deen as one of my favorite studios. But going by what they did with Higurashi, the second season (if it existed) would've been great and even better than season 1.

Umineko is one of my favorites (not top 10), and its design is one of my top favorites. It would most likely be part of my top 10 if it had a continuation and a conclusion.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote
Same here. If there was a conclusion I would have this in my top ten, pushing out The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (minus the second season. LOL) I do have this snugly inserted in my top 20 though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:

Thank you. I think the character designs made this anime just lovely. Unlike Higurashi, which took a while to get used to (youngins), I was in love pretty soon. It was hard to understand (since I watched it before Higurashi), but by no means a train wreck.
I'd probably rank Deen as one of my favorite studios. But going by what they did with Higurashi, the second season (if it existed) would've been great and even better than season 1.

Umineko is one of my favorites (not top 10), and its design is one of my top favorites. It would most likely be part of my top 10 if it had a continuation and a conclusion.

Higurashi does have a second season. It makes sense of everything that happens in season 1. For Higurashi look at it like this:
Higurashi season 1 is the question series, and season 2 is the answer series.

The character designs really had me attached to. I really love Maria Very Happy, even though the spoiler[ The whole reason why she went into magic I predicted early on ]. That doesn't change anything though Smile
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
I gave it a 10. It doesn't deserve a 7.21... Thats only reserved for perverted ecchi's and old 60s & 70s animes mainly.

I honestly think the average user should be rating it at least between an 8 and a 9.

You're clearly not using the same scale as everyone else in regards to ratings. A 7.2 is not a bad score, it is the middle of the road (top 1/3, actually). And for a ridiculously over-the-top and incomplete story, it's fairly generous, IMO.

(A score between 8 and 9 would be between rank 250 and 3.)
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:

You're clearly not using the same scale as everyone else in regards to ratings. A 7.2 is not a bad score, it is the middle of the road (top 1/3, actually). And for a ridiculously over-the-top and incomplete story, it's fairly generous, IMO.

(A score between 8 and 9 would be between rank 250 and 3.)

Actually we're are both correct. What you said is still valid. But what I'm saying is that Umineko is top 250 quality. (in my opinion top 100, at par with higurashi)
Tachibana Hirou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
i'd say more of different sequel to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. It has happened during Tsukihime before Fate/Stay Night in these sequels.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
Seriously why are people rating this series so harshly?

As I said in my previous post that a Moderator turned down for some unknowable reason:

I rated this as Not Really Good because it had a plot that didn't finish and was not continued in a second season, the plot was inherently self-contradictory (Battler must disprove the existence of magic by playing games with a real witch *facepalm*), the multiple timelines and games were a bad idea and the writing failed to link them together properly, it had characters whose motivations and allegiances were not properly explained, and I was so confused about everything that I couldn't enjoy the series. The music was nice, the visuals were nice, but that's about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 41