• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
CANAAN (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Allright, sorry for trying to do a detailed breakdown of first impressions instead of shouting "OMG its soooo great I'm in love".

First impressions are great, it's just odd to find such a negative reaction to a show that many would agree has a lot going for it. But be my guest. However, realize that if you're going to blatantly say you don't like something in a crowd of people who consider that something quality, you have to be prepared for some debate. There's no need to get upset about it. In fact, for first impressions it's wonderful to get a wide range of impressions. What's annoying is having people continue to watch a show they think is bad and then write tangents to annoy the rest of us (not you).

What is not so subjective, however, is animation quality. I know slim to none about techniques involved in animation (I wish I knew more, and I think I'm starting to pick some things up) so I tend to leave that out of my comments unless it's a generalization. I think that's the comment people are most upset about. It's fine if you think the characters, plot, etc. are average. However there were tons of well-animated details, such as the crowd and even the dexterity of Canaan's hands when she's switching cartridges. You just don't see that kind of detail or fluidness every day.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
So far this series is hit with me. I'm looking forward to seeing where this all goes. Lots of good action and an intriguing storyline.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:14 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Allright, sorry for trying to do a detailed breakdown of first impressions instead of shouting "OMG its soooo great I'm in love".

First impressions are great, it's just odd to find such a negative reaction to a show that many would agree has a lot going for it. But be my guest. However, realize that if you're going to blatantly say you don't like something in a crowd of people who consider that something quality, you have to be prepared for some debate. There's no need to get upset about it. In fact, for first impressions it's wonderful to get a wide range of impressions. What's annoying is having people continue to watch a show they think is bad and then write tangents to annoy the rest of us (not you).

Well, I never once said the show was bad, and I did say I'd give it a few more eps to develop the story that it might have but never really showed off in ep 1. I like debate when people present a wide range of views and impressions, not jump at each other without saying anything themselves. I mean, how many people did a detailed breakdown/preview of ep 1 here? Maybe 1, 2 Rolling Eyes

Quote:
What is not so subjective, however, is animation quality. I know slim to none about techniques involved in animation (I wish I knew more, and I think I'm starting to pick some things up) so I tend to leave that out of my comments unless it's a generalization. I think that's the comment people are most upset about. It's fine if you think the characters, plot, etc. are average. However there were tons of well-animated details, such as the crowd and even the dexterity of Canaan's hands when she's switching cartridges. You just don't see that kind of detail or fluidness every day.

Well, I'm not an animator myself, but I did learn a fair bit about anime creation techniques when I took a lit. course on anime themes, and I've learned to see anim. flops over the years of watching anime. In new shows, I catch myself specifically looking for them, and CANAAN didn't leave me waiting too long. It sure did have as many good things (the ones you described) about animation as it did bad things (CG implementation as poor as I haven't seen since Blassreiter or Origins), and that's why I gave episode 1 an "average" impression about animation.

The characters are good, though somewhat of a mismatch (Type-Moonish killers mixed with typical anime reporters, wth??), and the story is yet to be shown, since at this point it could be almost anything. The show should be a decent watch as long as it doesn't focus on action too much.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
Okay, first impressions.

I thought it looked fine. Some parts were much better than others, but overall I thought it solid. I don't think the animation and artistry are as good as some people are claiming, but I do believe it is above average for what we see nowadays.

It was just way too confusing. It through us into the deep end, and I had no idea what was going on, who the factions were, and why those factions I didn't even know were fighting. A good way to start a show is to introduce a main character or two, and a setting or two, and use them as reference points when further characters and settings are introduced. A narrator or other means to quickly convey plot information is also helpful. CANAAN gave us too little backstory and way too many characters.

Speaking of characters, sadly we didn't see anything we haven't seen before. The lecherous middle-aged man, the smirking creep, the bored girl-in-charge, the goofy man, the ditzy girl, the gun-toting chick, and the busty wench (seen in the next episode preview). I was hoping for better characterisation.

The action was alright, but not impressive. Lots of bullets flying, plenty of running, quite a few people men being killed, but not that much actual fighting. Hopefully they will cater to that expectation, and give us some proper combat to salivate over.

The use of synesthesia - which I had heard of before - was a nice point of difference. I don't know exactly how it is supposed to make Canaan a better fighter, but it is a plausible enough device. I am curious how they explain her being able to turn it on at will. Synesthesia also raises some interesting avenues to explore (with regards to how people with it cope, a la those men wearing animal heads), and I can think of a few interesting uses for use in combat and spying.

The OP and the ED were adequate; neither grabbed me, but they were serviceable enough.

Overall, a confusing (and not in a good way) start to a possibly great series. Perhaps once they start explaining just what is going on things might begin to look up, but they don't have many episodes to work with. It would seem that CANAAN is too ambitious in some respects (size of backstory?, size of cast) but not ambitious enough in others (characterisation, action). I will watch the next few episodes without baited breath, and see how it fares.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
It sure did have as many good things (the ones you described) about animation as it did bad things (CG implementation as poor as I haven't seen since Blassreiter or Origins), and that's why I gave episode 1 an "average" impression about animation.

In every post you've made in this thread the only thing you said it did bad was CG implementation. So please don't act like CANAAN did as many good things as it did bad things because you're clearly talking out of your ass with that comment. Don't even try and pass it off as an average animation by tv series standards because initially you directly compared it to Kara no Kyukai an animated film which is just ridiculous.

The CG animation used for people in the background you complained about in CANAAN was also used in Eden of the East btw.. so I guess that's now not something that is good right?

dtm42 wrote:
Hopefully they will cater to that expectation, and give us some proper combat to salivate over.

I really doubt they won't... here's the first trailer with a few badly animated scenes that show a potential showdown.. that should be obviously coming from ep 1 anyway..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvQ2nli6AuA&feature=channel_page

Also the director of this directed the Bones flick Sword of the Stranger which had an amazing last battle.. and the director himself key animated Spike Vs Vincent at the end of the Cowboy Bebop movie.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was just way too confusing. It through us into the deep end, and I had no idea what was going on, who the factions were, and why those factions I didn't even know were fighting. A good way to start a show is to introduce a main character or two, and a setting or two, and use them as reference points when further characters and settings are introduced. A narrator or other means to quickly convey plot information is also helpful. CANAAN gave us too little backstory and way too many characters.

I disagree. I actually prefer the "throw me into the deep end" approach as I usually have no trouble "swimming". To me it's a far better hook than if they did something standard like you described. I'm more likely to anticipate and watch more if there is more of an element of mystery. On the other hand sometimes series throw you into the deep end with cement shoes on like Tytania which jumps arround way too much and intros way too many characters at once. I'm not a fan of something to that extreme. Also I hate narrators. No series should ever have them, they're redundant.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:

I disagree. I actually prefer the "throw me into the deep end" approach as I usually have no trouble "swimming". To me it's a far better hook than if they did something standard like you described. I'm more likely to anticipate and watch more if there is more of an element of mystery. On the other hand sometimes series throw you into the deep end with cement shoes on like Tytania which jumps arround way too much and intros way too many characters at once. I'm not a fan of something to that extreme. Also I hate narrators. No series should ever have them, they're redundant.

I think the real issue is how most anime use narrators. I like Kyon in Haruhi. A narrator that isn't completely neutral is nice. Another option is to make more use of free indirect discourse when narrating. You don't see it too much in anime, but I'd love to see it done well.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
It was just way too confusing. It threw us into the deep end, and I had no idea what was going on, who the factions were, and why those factions I didn't even know were fighting. A good way to start a show is to introduce a main character or two, and a setting or two, and use them as reference points when further characters and settings are introduced.

I disagree. I actually prefer the "throw me into the deep end" approach as I usually have no trouble "swimming". To me it's a far better hook than if they did something standard like you described. I'm more likely to anticipate and watch more if there is more of an element of mystery...Also I hate narrators. No series should ever have them, they're redundant.

I agree with Kruszer, honestly that's a personal preference with regards to style. I don't know, maybe you hated Baccano! but I thought the direction was brilliant even though it was one of the most confusing shows I've ever seen. I prefer the deep end approach because it keeps my on my toes and it's great for intersecting plotlines. I think the point of this episode was to overwhelm the viewer, but all you really needed to get out of this episode was that Canaan is ex-military working for an organization and has a special ability. Her opponent is an insane Chinese chick with similar military talent, though she might be a mercenary since she was in that van of soldiers who called her a "snake." Also Canaan has a pre-existing relationship with Maria, which I thought was a nice touch.

I like unreliable narrators, like Kyon (again because they force you to keep on your toes). They often add an extra dimension to the story because you can't take everything they say for granted.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Also the director of this directed the Bones flick Sword of the Stranger which had an amazing last battle.. and the director himself key animated Spike Vs Vincent at the end of the Cowboy Bebop movie.

Yeah, when I saw the sharp character designs, artwork and practically movie-level color design work of the trailers and first episode and found this out, that Masahiro Ando was directing, it was hard not to drool, and the staging and choices of how to "film" the shots and stuff like that was great in the first episode along with the varied stuff they showed in the OP animation. Can't wait to see what they have planned in the future, Canaan was great and I'm looking forwards to seeing Alphard in action, her design is awesome.

Fantastic Bebop fight and those who haven't seen Sword of the Stranger definitely should.

Kruszer wrote:
I disagree. I actually prefer the "throw me into the deep end" approach as I usually have no trouble "swimming". To me it's a far better hook than if they did something standard like you described. I'm more likely to anticipate and watch more if there is more of an element of mystery.

I agree, I'm personally a big fan of many of the shows that do that and make you theorize and start thinking and then begin to play their cards.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
Show is cool. Combination of Black Lagoon Burst Angel and GITS. A lot of you guys have questions about the story but watch the first episode again. The entire story is there. Well I've seen enough action flicks to know where it's going.

This is what happens in the first episode. It is fast past like mission impossible:

spoiler[ First of all, the story is going nowhere and for people who are complaining about the sensless violence stop watching. Any show about terrorism means senseless violence. Either you like it or you don’t.

Anyhow you got your heroine Canaan. Her life was torn by war. Became a guerrilla soldier for that terrorist female with black hair (forgot her name. leader of terrorist organization called SNAKE something). Mind was warped by terrorist leader and she killed people for her cause which turns out to be for nothing. Canaan realizes what she has done and escapes. During an attempt she was injured. Presumed dead etc. In her "new" life she saves a camera woman and they become friends. The camera woman helps her to become human and not just a killer. SNAKE woman’s organization falters and she needs funding so becomes a government dog while secretly using the government’s connections to pursue her goals. Canaan's life and the SNAKE woman’s are intertwined because she fucked her up lol and Canaan not too happy about that. Canaan tries to escape her past but realizes she can't. Works for a new organization which is either a mercenary /anti terrorist organization. Canaan finds happiness and yet not happiness. Her demons still haunt her. The old man which is a political leader is sort of the peace keeper role. Wants to know the people, exist for the people, and help the people. However, he's a hypocrite and works for war and with the corrupt government. The couple you saw with the hot girl Hakko, they are an individual group. The couple was effected by this new spreading disease that kills people and they just want to cure it, expose it, find justice etc. More about the disease. The disease is linked with Canaan’s ability. Canaan was a successful test subject. The ones that go crazy are failures. Forgot but the episode does briefly talk about the disease and Canaan’s ability. Photographer in there for amusement. Pretty sure in the last episode the SNAKE woman will die or their will be a sequel to conclude the story. ]

Oh, for the future in most action anime flicks they tend to tell the viewers the entire story in the first episode or first 2 episodes. The rest of the anime just fills the loop holes and answers questions like why and how. Black Lagoon is a perfect example. First 2 episodes tell everything. The rest of the episodes in that series were just explaining the views of the main characters presented in the first episode in more depth which is what is going to happen in this anime. I guarantee it.
Miranox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, for the future in most action anime flicks they tend to tell the viewers the entire story in the first episode or first 2 episodes. The rest of the anime just fills the loop holes and answers questions like why and how. Black Lagoon is a perfect example. First 2 episodes tell everything. The rest of the episodes in that series were just explaining the views of the main characters presented in the first episode in more depth which is what is going to happen in this anime. I guarantee it.

If you judge all shows based on the first 2 episodes I guarantee you will miss out on some pretty good stuff. I watch at least 5 episodes before deciding if I will continue or not. Many series also get better in the second half, so if you want to guarantee yourself that you won't miss anything, watch at least 60% of episodes (with the exceptions of never ending shows like Bleach, One Piece, etc).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I found the first ep alright, hasn't realy grabbed me that much, except for maybe lots of people partying oblivouse to the fact someone is dead or dieing. I realy don't understand much about the character interaction, i guess they have shown the powerful gunfighter heroin and the shamless villain, I just hope that groups are pulled quickly enough and not kept incredibly apart with little interaction like Shangri-La has been doing. But I guess the whole Synthenisa thing is probably where most of my hope on this show is.
abynormal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I found the first episode interesting enough to make me watch the second, and isn't that the general idea? There's a lot of questions left to answer about pretty much every character, but I'm find with that so long as they get answered. Heck, it'll keep me hooked. Baccano! did something similar and it's still one of my favorite series ever.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Miranox

I know u'll miss stuff. Obviously. What I'm saying is that most action shows (anime shows in general) give a brief overview of the entire series in the first 2 episodes. Watch the first episode and analyze every minute.

The only reason you decide to watch the entire series is because you are bored or you like what you see. Be honest, in most action flicks its the same type of violence, character traits... and at most one or two twist/turns occur. I'm just saying don't watch, analyze the first episode and you'll see that they told you the entire story with loop holes but if ur good at reading comprehension and watched a lot of action shows you can fill in the holes. Furthermore this show is like Black Lagoon. To hell with the story it's all about action blood guts etc. However, Baccano was unique where u had to watch every episode to get the story. You don't have to for Black Lagoon or Canaan. Most of the episodes are going to be the same. Pure violence. Just like how Phantom is. When you break it down every single episode of Phantom is the same. You’re just shooting people with different faces.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
tarheel91 wrote:

I think the real issue is how most anime use narrators. I like Kyon in Haruhi. A narrator that isn't completely neutral is nice. Another option is to make more use of free indirect discourse when narrating. You don't see it too much in anime, but I'd love to see it done well.

I don't mind when the narrator is actually an actual character in the series like Kyon. Technically, I think that's called something else...an inner monologue, I think. Narrators are annoying disembodied over-voices that aren't characters in the series. They pop in and tell you things which good series would have actually incorporated into the character dialogue or by other means in the story instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7