• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Champloo DVD LE + Artbox- Thoughts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
ckime wrote:
I won't touch the dub flames with a 10 foot pole, so unless you folk have questions, I've got nothing else useful to say...

Ha, ha. Don't take my posts the wrong way, Mr. Kime. I may have flamed the dub in my initial post...

<snip>

Who voice acted who?

Keep up the good work and thanks for everything you guys! Anime exclamation

Laughing No worries. I'm not fireproof, but no blood, no foul.

As for the voice actors... Embarassed
Well, that's a legal thing. Since the job was not a union job, some of the voice actors have insisted that we do not include them in the credits, most have asked not to be connected to a role, and we do not even receive the credits from the dubbing studio with the actors names attached to roles. We simply receive a list of names to credit.

Not only do I not have the information you want, I am expressly forbidden from providing that information.
It's not what many want to hear, it may suck, but it is what it is and I have no power to change it. Sorry...

We'll keep doing the best we can to deliver a good product.
Thanks for your support!

Chad.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
ckime wrote:
As for the voice actors... Embarassed
Well, that's a legal thing. Since the job was not a union job, some of the voice actors have insisted that we do not include them in the credits, most have asked not to be connected to a role, and we do not even receive the credits from the dubbing studio with the actors names attached to roles. We simply receive a list of names to credit.

Not only do I not have the information you want, I am expressly forbidden from providing that information.
It's not what many want to hear, it may suck, but it is what it is and I have no power to change it. Sorry...

I see. Well that's not a problem, but was it OK then for me to try and identify them? I mean, I have the credited names written on paper and could just enter them in the Encylopedia, but if some of us just happen to guess who plays who, would that be alright?

For now, I'll leave whoever I credited as they are and just put the rest of the names in and make a thread in the Encyclopedia Forum for anyone that may be able to actually identify and list them as being this or that character.

I like the show a lot and would like to contribute what I can to the Encylopedia entry, but if there's anything in particular you don't want done for confidentiality or any strange Union mumbo jumbo I'm not familiar with, please let us know. Thanks again! Smile
drakh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
ckime wrote:
As for the voice actors... :oops:
Well, that's a legal thing. Since the job was not a union job, some of the voice actors have insisted that we do not include them in the credits, most have asked not to be connected to a role, and we do not even receive the credits from the dubbing studio with the actors names attached to roles.

...and with the refrences to Steve Blum playing Mugen in this very thread alone, you can you see how incredibly effective that has been. If you'd put the role next to his alias-of-the-week, some people at least would have been using it rather than his real name.
wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Whatever Mugen's VA wants to call himself; at this point, striving for anonimity in any anime role is kind of futile. You know, seeing as he voiced one of the most popular and well-known characters in the history of anime. Confused

I know union crap forces them to use aliases and such, but when its so obvious what's the point? What will happen if they use their real names? Do they get fined or kicked out of the union or something?
drakh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:03 am Reply with quote
wanderer wrote:
I know union crap forces them to use aliases and such, but when its so obvious what's the point? What will happen if they use their real names? Do they get fined or kicked out of the union or something?

In theory, if the union finds out that any of their members have been working on non-union shows, yes... They'll get fined the amount they earned from working on the show I believe, and kicked out if they continue taking non-union work after that. However, with pretty much every major Los Angeles dub VA having been "outed" on IMDB for years, not to mention anime companies frequently screwing up their credits and listing "wrong" names, it's pretty obvious that it isn't going to happen to them. I guess there just isn't enough money in it for the union to care about dubbing, and the fake names are just a pit of sand the union can put its head into and pretend it doesn't see anything.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
the current episodes have been really good. spoiler[we now know the Sunflower samurai is Fuu's father, and where he's hiding.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3