• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Howl's Moving Castle

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msi435

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Has any one seen it yet?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
graywolf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quote
oddly thats the first time i have heard of it but ill take alook at it andget back to you Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ganzo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
how? unless you are in japan, the movie just released late last year in japan, I think its still in theatre, did you see how long it takes spirit away to get to US, its going to be the same proccess, maybe just a bit faster, since people start to pay attention to anime.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
It's supposed to be in theaters this summer in America. I want to see it bad...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ganzo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
It's supposed to be in theaters this summer in America. I want to see it bad...

lets just pray that it will, many foreign stuff I want to see have a US set release date, but then they just get changed constantly, some just have no daylight, some release to dvd/vhs, some did get to the theatre in a delayed manner.

And its quite normal to say that all countries don't pay much attention to foreign stuff, and especially when you are the king, there is nothing wrong about it, I can't complain much.
But lets hope good foreign stuffs are not missed, especially those fr/j/k/cn stuff that I really like.
Lord Vicious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:29 am Reply with quote
I'm extremely excited about this movie and a huge fan of Miyazaki's work. I haven't seen it yet but for sure I'll be seeing it the day it comes out (and I mean it!)
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I doubt it will crack the top 5, since it's only getting a limited release, but it has a shot at cracking the top 10, since the big films that weekend are Mr. and Mrs. Smith, with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, and Robert Rodriguez's The Adventures of Shark Boy & Lava Girl, so it's a relatively slow weekend by summer blockbuster season standards, like the weekend Fahrenheit 9/11 opened at number one last year.

The first release date I saw listed, June 30th, had it opening the same weekend as both War of the Worlds and Fantastic Four, while Batman Begins would likely still be drawing big crowds in its second weekend, so that would have been a rather suicidal weekend for Howl to open.
Diedrupo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I saw it. It's awesome. :) Better than Spirited Away in my opinion.
msi435

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:49 am Reply with quote
ganzo wrote:
how? unless you are in japan, the movie just released late last year in japan, I think its still in theatre, did you see how long it takes spirit away to get to US, its going to be the same proccess, maybe just a bit faster, since people start to pay attention to anime.

not all of us live in the U.S.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ganzo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
ganzo wrote:

not all of us live in the U.S.

and you think i didn't know that?
I presume the person who started the post is in US?
I'm sure he is not Jp, otherwise whats the point of asking the question.
toru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Howl got the Japanese razzie award Bunsyun Kiichigo Award
with Devilman and Casshern.
http://movies.yahoo.co.jp/m2?ty=nd&id=20050127-00000007-flix-ent

HMC Japanese reviews
average 3.4/5 star
http://moviessearch.yahoo.co.jp/detail?ty=mv&id=240799
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
like the weekend Fahrenheit 9/11 opened at number one last year.

Fahrenheit 9/11's opening weekend was second only to Spiderman for per theater box office.
Diedrupo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

razzie? you know that razzies are for like, bad movies, right?
I personally thought Howl's was great. :( maybe the Japanese didn't like it because it was based on a western novel.
toru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Diedrupo wrote:
Quote:

razzie? you know that razzies are for like, bad movies, right?
I personally thought Howl's was great. Sad maybe the Japanese didn't like it because it was based on a western novel.

Yes, I know it.
Many Japanese like Howl, but many Japanese disappointed.
Because it is not western novel but Miyazaki' story.
As for story of Howl, introduction development turn and conclusion are intentionally destroyed by Miyazaki. End of Howl is hurried in order to store it within 2 hours, and it looks typical love story.
Those who don't notice that he broken it intentionally don't like Howl. And many people don't notice the exquisite trick by Miyazaki hidden in the last of Howl like the typical love story which respected the original. War ends and the last of Howl looks like a happy end. However, the scene of suggesting war having not ended is hidden at the end. It is explained by Miyazaki "war does not end immediately" in the storyboard of Howl which was published.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2