• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakemonogatari (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Mike On Top wrote:
Tsubasa delievers more surprises - super knowledgable and educated as she appears, she spoiler[keeps her wish for exploration (or straying tendencies) a secret].

I actually thought that she is running from her family rather than wants to travel. I understand her wish to explore but she should understand herself that education comes first. Can't wait for her arc.

Mike On Top wrote:
Second, the way her story was presented, was the least interesting, with no suspense, easily predictable, and needlessly servicable. DIDN'T like it. Had not whatsoever wish to see her blushing and barely hiding her tiny tits, as if the notion spoiler[of the curse] wasn't conceivable by exposing her legs.
There should be a good explanation for this in the next episodes, really. I don't appreciate pedophille delights Evil or Very Mad Given the quality of the series so far, this is just ... bleh.

I understand why you, personally, wouldn't like excessive fanservice. I don't like fanservise for it's sake however it's not the case here(when I was watching School Days for the second time with my friend I was surpised at how much fanservice was present... that is excessive). Besides we've seen "pedophille delights"(love this expression) before with Mayoi, Shinobu's pose when she's feeding, Suruga's exhibitionism and don't forget half episode long nakkid teasing from Hitagi. It's just a part of the series, and part of it's appeal, so don't be too harsh(it's not like SHAFT randomly throws it in either, Koyomi's unsuccessful praise would only make sense if Nadeko was in that state). Wink

About the "weak" episode, while episodes might be seen as better or worse from what I've learned after watching previous episodes, Bakemonogatari should be judged by arcs (and by extenion as a whole). Arcs is what makes perfect sense as they come together and interweave with main story(SenjougahAraragi's story).

sanjayts wrote:
IMO, you are taking this way too seriously and way too far. Smile

You are absolutely right about that one. My very first post gives it away. In fact this series is farthest I've gone(farther then even School Days!), including debating about Bake, recommending it and even reading blogs for better understanding.

sanjayts wrote:
There really doesn't need to be any logical reason to like or dislike an anime. Anime, like any other art form, comes from the heart and touches the heart. Don't be an extremist and try to force your feeling of awesomeness on others, it just ends up giving all Bake fans a bad name. Calling someone a "rebellious ass!@#$" just for that is like being one. Oh and BTW, it wasn't me.

That was my little cry out. I knew that worst ever was inevitable to happen. And I think that my logic is very solid. Look at top 10... no top 50, you will find a few worst ever ratings for nearly every title. The point is - high rated series generate hate.
randomanimefan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Few thoughts and comments on Ep 9:

Not sure how spoilerish this is, but might as well ask: Why did it kinda seem like Kanbaru spoiler[was lying about being told that her arm will heal in a few years?]

I have to say, the show spoiler[seems like it's "missing" something when Hitagi isn't around], but it's not like I like the show any less at those times. There's an intentional effort to keep all of the significant characters involved in the storyline, and the spoiler[Araragi/Kanbaru relationship is...interesting Razz] If it were anyone else other than her, we probably wouldn't have seen Araragi's spoiler[painfully honest side...the "how did you know" reaction instead of the typical flat-out denials was hilarious]. Then again, Araragi probably knew denials would be useless. Razz

Speaking of significant characters, spoiler[Tsubasa's appearance in the ep was awesome as always.] I could be wrong of course, but to me it's "clear" that spoiler[there's plenty of backstory for the Araragi/Tsubasa relationship]. IMHO, it's "subtle," but Araragi isn't properly accounting for spoiler[Tsubasa's feelings when he asks for advice...she's got more emotional baggage than just the family situation.] Araragi's spoiler[known Tsubasa the longest of all the other significant characters, and yet is "most thoughtless" with her from what we've been shown. It's a good setup for the next arc.]

Also: Twospoiler[memes] in one episode! SHAFT has their, er, spoiler[Internet...pop...culture?] down cold.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
randomanimefan wrote:
Also: Twospoiler[memes] in one episode! SHAFT has their, er, spoiler[Internet...pop...culture?] down cold.

Really? What were they? I seemed to have missed them completely.

Did anyone other than me think that the animation was a little stiff this episode? The walking animations especially just did not look natural.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
oh the sitting on the couch in the yes face pose
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa58/ninjapet12341/gaia/1252253510803.jpg

quite funny, I didn't get it at first took me a little bit to think of it
tarheel91

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
oh the sitting on the couch in the yes face pose

quite funny, I didn't get it at first took me a little bit to think of it

It came to me immediately, and I died laughing.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
some one needs to make a .gif of that scene

interment memes in anime form = some what win
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Did anyone other than me think that the animation was a little stiff this episode? The walking animations especially just did not look natural.

I think I noticed a little of that, too. Like they only animated half the natural motion? I recall at one point, I think it was Kanbaru's, arm swung forward, then was back again to swing forward, without swinging back.
randomanimefan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the spoiler["Reaction Guys"] or whatever, we saw Shadow Meme a few times. Razz Yup, bad pun.

Some people are saying that SHAFT is outsourcing some of their animation. Honestly, it didn't bother me too much. So far they've stayed fairly consistent with character design. For some reason I've gotten used to not-exactly-natural movements in anime. It almost seems like a "style."
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote
I still have absolutely no idea about what you guys are talking about with regards to the memes.
Ardlien

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
About the "weak" episode, while episodes might be seen as better or worse from what I've learned after watching previous episodes, Bakemonogatari should be judged by arcs (and by extenion as a whole). Arcs is what makes perfect sense as they come together and interweave with main story(SenjougahAraragi's story).

1st side.

I don't think judging the anime by arcs to gloss over what might be considered a weakness in the 20 minute episode format is very genuine. It's true that each set of episodes hold together well, but for a series of vignettes (I guess that's what they are) where each story is told in parts with weeks in between, those gaps are a very important part of the story telling, either as a weakness or a strength. Judging solely by arcs would be less of a problem for me if it were at the dvd release stage and each arc was released as a whole, or if they were in fact a series of hour long episodes or that sort of thing.

2nd side.

Having said that I think the current form is very well suited to the style being used. I'm thinking of the sensory bombardment (bright lights, symbol-laden dialogue, flashing text) here, which is complemented by the week long breaks by dulling the memory of previous events, allowing for a bit more confusion, which in turn makes the points they want to make clear (at the times they intend) all the more potent. Each episode stands alone, they have their own pacing, and mix of humour and exposition, if an entire arc were shown as one long episode it would have a very different (and not necessarily better) feel.

I thought this episode was fine, the spoiler[nudity] didn't seem to be generic fanservice to me, rather more like an ironic version. I believe zetsubou also had something similar; spoiler[there's an international student whose sole purpose it to provide panty shots if I recall.][/code]
tarheel91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I still have absolutely no idea about what you guys are talking about with regards to the memes.

Compare

to

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/reaction-guys-gaijin-4koma
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

It's the What you think, what you saw, and what you got, reaction meme (or some what the pic Shaft used as a base is often used in it)

*edit some one beat me to it
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I was as confused as you are and I don't think guys above explain it very well. Quen's post at Sankaku Complex really spelled it out for the ignorant masses like us. Wink

I was also thinking about Suruga... isn't she a lesbian, why is she hitting on Koyomi then? Brilliant idea just crossed my mind.

-Everyone listen! Suruga is actually a bi!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
I was also thinking about Suruga... isn't she a lesbian, why is she hitting on Koyomi then? Brilliant idea just crossed my mind.

I was wondering about that too, she could be I think I remember that she mentioned she like BL. Though my conclusion was that she was testing Araragi, I was thinking that Senjougahara possibly told Suruga to act flirty to see whether he would cave into any girl that acted that way. I think it may have been confirmed when Suruga mentioned that Senjougahara told her if anything hapends to tell her all the details. Plus if she breaks them up she might have a chance with Senjougahara.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

I was as confused as you are and I don't think guys above explain it very well. Quen's post at Sankaku Complex really spelled it out for the ignorant masses like us. Wink

How did the knowyourmeme link not explain it well!? It's got several paragraphs written out on the whole thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 26