• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakemonogatari (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
most of Shafts anime have that problem (I think?)

Not really. There may be little things they touch up now and again, but aside from Moon Phase, I don't recall any of their other series containing scenes that were egregiously unfinished.

I was a little underwhelmed by the episode in that it didn't seem to have the same level of witty dialogue that the others do. It felt a little like they only had time to just get the meat of the plot over with. Of course, if this is the worst the series does, it's still outstanding overall.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Mike On Top wrote:
This arc is just weak, shallow, and liveless as any other bathhouse episode.

I can't agree there. Mayoi Snail was worse, half of the episodes were about Araragi and Hachikuji's quarrel.
Compared to that, Nadeko Snake was complete within only 2 episodes. We got to see a cute character and a good opening.
Background info on Araragi's intentions, the reason as to why he needs his blood spoiler[sucked by Shinobu] and a better understanding about what Oshino actually thinks about Araragi.

Apparently you don't enjoy the playful dialogue. I, and a lot of others, do. I enjoyed the quarreling much more than anything in this arc (although the stuff between Araragi and Suruga last episode was pretty good).
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
tarheel91 wrote:
Apparently you don't enjoy the playful dialogue.

If the current arc could be described as a "bathhouse episode" then I'd say Mayoi Snail could be described as a "cock fight episode"(blood was involved after all).
I enjoyed both arcs, by worse I didn't mean it was bad, and I never said I disliked Mayoi Snail either.
Looking back now, I'd see both arcs as sisters.
Mayoi Snail, the immature lively little sister.
Nadeko Snake, the cute and shy little sister.

But yeah, I found Nadeko Snake arc definitely better. Probably because the protagonist was more attracting, in many ways.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I didn't care for the snail ark, I thought it was ok at best. Still I enjoyed the episodes I just thought it dragged out for to long.

On the other hand the snake are was only two episodes and it was more like only showing 1 and a half but still getting a better feel then the snail ark did with in the span of 3 episodes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Okay, episode ten.

(Yes, I'll eschew my usual bold red banner, as everyone already knows what episode it is this time.)

First off, wow, what a let down. I'm not just talking about the clear and annoying fact that the animation was unfinished, but more to the point the other problems inherent in it.

Like the plot.

This arc really suffered from only having two episodes, and when you spend a good third of an episode on an unrelated matter (Tsubasa talking to Koyomi about his relationship with Hitagi), you put yourself under further stress. The plot was simplistic and rather dull, but also nonsensical. Okay, so the boy Nadeko's friend likes confesses - ah, that phenomenon ubiquitous to the Japanese - to Nadeko, but she turns him down because she still has a crush on Koyomi despite not having talked to him in years. Alright then, so far so uninspired, but it isn't bad.

Where it fails is with Nadeko's friend getting angry at her for turning down the very boy that the friend liked. You think she - the friend - would be happy that Nadeko didn't steal her crush away, but oh no, she's actually angry. Ridiculous. Even with Japan's culture - so often alien to us Westerners - that sort of thing shouldn't happen. After all, jealousy and possessiveness is a universal human trait. Though the friend might have been angry that her crush liked Nadeko instead of her, there is a broken link between that and hating Nadeko for it when she turns the guy down.

Now the characters.

Nadeko's character was never developed much at all, besides the fact that she is in love with Koyomi. Looking at that from a "meta" view, she exists to add to his harem. And to wear a school swimsuit which just happened to be the subject of many a camera closeup (especially her crotch). Now come on SHAFT, you made her strip to her bloomers in the previous episode, then you gave us a shot of her in her bra and then later put her in a swimsuit. And now you are having the camera ogle her body? Are you full of Lolicons? Or are you trying to attract a certain crowd? There was simply no reason to go that far. Oh sure, SHAFT may have been following what the light novels had said, but there's no reason to adapt so faithfully.

All she was there for was sick fanservice, plain and simple. Her backstory was thin and uninteresting, she was never fleshed out properly, and to add salt to the wound, we never got a resolution like the other three had. Until the next episode preview came up I thought we were going to get another episode of her arc, such was it truncated.

Then there's Hitagi. I know the arc took place in well under twenty-four hours, but we really have been missing her. What the series needs now is an episode that focuses on her and Koyomi, but that isn't going to happen, what with the new arc and all. I will say that Tsubasa is also a very interesting character, and Hitagi making fun of Koyomi can get old after awhile, but Hitagi is very much the best character in the show. Here's to hoping she gets at least a couple of scenes with Koyomi in the next episode; in the last four episodes Suruga has spent more time with Koyomi than Hitagi has, and she's not even his girlfriend.

Other observations. They are unordered.

I thought the OP was pretty good, and could easily with a few changes be the main OP for another series. But I question why it only got one airing. This is actually a criticism of the other unique OPs as well; they are only aired once despite the arcs being two or three episodes long. I am annoyed that they would go through so much effort, seemingly at the expense of other areas, and then only show them once each.

I finally get why Koyomi received all that weight at the end of episode two. It was the burden of helping others, plus you could say the burden of knowing someone as, er, forceful as Hitagi. It just clicked this episode when he realised that trying to save everyone was not always possible. That was a good piece of development.

Meme continues to be a great supporting character. His lines were quite funny, such as him saying that he knows to tell Koyomi if he's leaving because Meme is an adult now. When he's not explaining Japanese puns he is a match for Hitagi in interesting dialogue.

The oddities can wage war against one another? That would be a pretty cool sight to see.

Koyomi was obviously just lying to get Suruga to come with him. He claimed the equipment was rather heavy and he wanted her help to carry it, and yet if you notice carefully Suruga wasn't carrying anything through the bamboo forest. He should have just stated that he wanted her there for moral support.

It was never explained how exactly the second snake got there. Did the boy Nadeko turned down also put his own curse on her, or did his negative feelings latch onto the curse from Nadeko's friend and double its power?

Speaking of the the number of snakes, one snake was killed by the charm, the other Koyomi pulled off and fought, so why was there still one on Nadeko's body (which mysteriously disappeared)?

I wasn't too happy that Koyomi spent so much time mentally apologising to Suruga instead of checking on Nadeko, who looked lifeless.

Hmmm, that's about it. I hope these two episodes were the worst of the bunch. If they are then I can forgive the show and at least still rate it as "Excellent", or maybe even better if the next five episodes are superb. If not, well we'll see.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow...episode 10 was so cut to s*** that it's borderline unwatchable. Almost half the freakin' episode are those replacement cards. That was not cool. Mad
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I thought they explained pretty clearly that Araragi figured that there was a second snake placed by the boy Nadeko turned down. Araragi told Nadeko it was safe and easy, but he was actualy lieing and wanted to talk to Suruga alone without Nadeko thinking something was wrong, he wanted to tell Suruga the truth. I guess he wanted to apologise because he brought on a dangerous situation and was doing something he promised he wouldnt, grabing the snake.

I haven't thought about it too much but there might be some other meaning to seeing Nadeko dressed as she has. She looks like she usualy wears quite a lot, including hiding her arms in a jacket. But as we also saw she realy wanted to show herself to her "Kyomi onii-chan". It looked like she often wanted to hide from most people though realy wanted the attention of Araragi and enjoyed him looking at her.

Also though this might sound a bit bad, the series has often been through Araragi's point of view. for specific views, you could look at specific times such as first episode where he is fumbling a pen, Mayoi's ark where we saw her attacking the screen. Though he might not have been actualy looking at her at these times he may have still had his attention on these areas. Showing that though he had an older brother relationship with her.

Now tell me how many people does he have in his harem, ok he has the tsundere Senjougahara. Then Mayoi, wait she is a ghost who was just like acting like a younger sister as far as we know no feelings. Suruga, no we have seen she likes Senjougahara, in fact even though on the surface she agreed she shouldnt hurt him, inside she still belived killing him would help her get to Senjougahara, before Senjougahara came. Maybe there is something with Tsubasa, you would think a boy and a girl hanging out like that might have some feelings. We might have had a look at something last episode, but for her to back off like that she either doesn't have any feeling or really good self control. I guess now we have Nadeko, but her relationship with Araragi is quite different to Snjougahara's.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Wow...episode 10 was so cut to s*** that it's borderline unwatchable. Almost half the freakin' episode are those replacement cards. That was not cool. Mad

I was too busy trying to read what the heck was writen there that I didn't even have time to think about how much was lost there. Not cool indeed.
But that new girl was cute enough to make up for it anyway.
Now, let's just cross our fingers for the dvd.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I thought they explained pretty clearly that Araragi figured that there was a second snake placed by the boy Nadeko turned down.

Yes, but did he do it deliberately, or did his feelings unconsciously latch onto the curse that was already in effect?

He has in his harem goody-two shoes (but with a secret) student council president Tsubasa, Tsundere Hitagi, sporty Suruga, cute shy infatuated younger girl Nadeko, the little cute sister character in Mayoi, and whatever Shinobu is, probably the vamp spoiler[(since she is one anyway).] He also has two cute but bratty younger sisters (one dresses in Japanese outfits, the other in Western clothes), though little seen and not meant to be love interests.

See what I did there? I highlighted just how well the female characters match that of the usual harem-esque lot you see so often. Every character fulfils a certain role, even his sisters. Sure, it isn't a perfect match, as Nadeko isn't really that much of a childhood friend, and we don't have the bumbling busty bimbo, but it is close enough.

Face it, whether the show is trying to parody harem or deconstruct it, there is still a harem in the show, that much is clear.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Like the plot.

This arc really suffered from only having two episodes, and when you spend a good third of an episode on an unrelated matter (Tsubasa talking to Koyomi about his relationship with Hitagi), you put yourself under further stress.

It's foreshadowing for the final arc, considering Tsubasa is the largest of the 5 stories and has a very conclusive ending the foreshadowing is needed,
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Yes, foreshadowing is nice, but Nadeko's story was rather a let down. Her character is underwhelming compared to what we got to see of all the others in their respective arcs so far.
Wu Ming

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know why the production company decided to put out the last 3 episodes online instead of airing them?
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:37 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Yes, foreshadowing is nice, but Nadeko's story was rather a let down. Her character is underwhelming compared to what we got to see of all the others in their respective arcs so far.

This arc got hurt by only being 2 episodes, you can't cut out Tsubasa's part since it's leading into the largest story of the series. Tsubasa and Koyomi had 2 novels worth of adventures (1 already out, the second being released next year) before Koyomi even met Hitagi. They probably needed 24 episodes to give justice to the light novels but you would've got a lot of people complaining about episodes with only dialogue in them.

Wu Ming wrote:
Does anyone know why the production company decided to put out the last 3 episodes online instead of airing them?

TV stations sell time slots in cours/seasons, SHAFT could only get 12 episodes in their cour and Shinbo/SHAFT felt they couldn't include enough conversations with 12 episodes so decided to do 3 extra episodes. 1 for Mayoi and 2 more for the final.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
Wu Ming wrote:

I believe Westlo explained that earlier in the thread. The show was originally supposed to be twelve episodes long. However, the studio felt that they could not do the story justice with that many episodes. However, it is practically impossible to lengthen the broadcast run of a show that's already airing, as the next show has probably already been lined up to take the spot. So, the creators decided to make three extra episodes and release them online where no such restrictions exist. By choosing that course of action so quickly they managed to give some of the early story arcs an extra episode each. Therefore, the three extra episodes are not an arc that was never going to be aired but just an arc that will find itself pushed back and perhaps lengthened a touch.

Edit: ah what do you know, Westlo beat me to it.
quoththeraven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Is there anymore material left in the Light Novels for a second season of Bake?

Or have we just chewed through the writers' work completley?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 26