• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Back From Los Angeles Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panzer.time

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Sarukah wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

It helps that Evanescence banned people from using their songs...

Haha, what? Can I get a link if possible, I would love to see how and where they said that.

Not sure how they did it, but 4, maybe 5 years ago, Anime Music Videos.org got a notice to remove all links to videos using Evanescence songs. My understanding is that they were concerned people were using AMVs to make copies of their music by recording just the audio (I knew someone who actually did this). You can still find them in other places if you look, though.

The complaint may seem silly, but their songs were overused, so maybe they did the world a favor. Wink

Easy: DMCA takedown notice.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
My Neighbor Liz wrote:
I tried to watch the Flake of the Week's but it was set to private. What was so weird about it?

but not all of them are private!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vLTwYMxGQE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Sarukah wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

It helps that Evanescence banned people from using their songs...

Haha, what? Can I get a link if possible, I would love to see how and where they said that.

Not sure how they did it, but 4, maybe 5 years ago, Anime Music Videos.org got a notice to remove all links to videos using Evanescence songs. My understanding is that they were concerned people were using AMVs to make copies of their music by recording just the audio (I knew someone who actually did this). You can still find them in other places if you look, though.

The complaint may seem silly, but their songs were overused, so maybe they did the world a favor. Wink

Creed and Seether, who belong to the same record label, are also not allowed on the org. So no great loss Smile

Here's what happened:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60314

Given the circumstances, the lawyers were very reasonable.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I remember an Animaniacs episode where they showed a history of animation. Basically, it was about TV animation from the time WB stopped producing in the in the 60s or so up until when they got back to it in the 90s. They parodies all the various cartoons that were made and their limited animation.

Fortunately, WB got back into animation. Most of the best animated stuff produced in the West comes from WB. To be fair, the other studios would occasionally produce something of quality, when they could afford to, but those were rare. HB did produce Charlotte's Web--and that was without computer assistance. Rankin-Bass also use to make quality 2D animation, and there's some good stuff from the 70s most people have never seen, aside from their LotR stuff.

I've found a lot of what's coming out lately (excluding the WB) is unwatchable because of it's stilted or cheap animation. They're getting the computer to do all the work and there's just no art in it.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The memory of people is very selective. They scoff at anime because of its frame rate, but never seem to notice western animation in general get away with virtually the same thing.

Western (TV) animation seems to prefer simpler character designs, with more drawings per second. Anime tends to have more detailed character designs, with a lot of techniques to make limited animation look good. Weird thing is no matter how low budget an American cartoon, is, they always do tight lip sync, which is very expensive.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Weird thing is no matter how low budget an American cartoon, is, they always do tight lip sync, which is very expensive.

Speaking of, did anybody else notice bad lip sync on some episodes of Azumanga Daioh?
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Weird thing is no matter how low budget an American cartoon, is, they always do tight lip sync, which is very expensive.

Speaking of, did anybody else notice bad lip sync on some episodes of Azumanga Daioh?

Considering anime lip sync consists of a mouth simply opening and closing kind-of to the rhythm of the words, it's not surprising. And man, they will find any way to get around even doing that much (telepathy, anyone?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:

Thank you! I couldn't remember the term.

In the long run, I'm not sure how much AMVs really hurt music companies. Sure, some jerks will record music off of them, but they're more likely to go to a download site than to bother having to record the audio off of an AMV. Go after those people.

As for video... my understanding is that for purposes of parody etc., you're allowed to use video clips so long as you give credit to the companies and persons who own the rights to the footage. Hence why you can have all these "Abridged" series on Youtube without getting lawsuits.
My Neighbor Liz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
My Neighbor Liz wrote:
I tried to watch the Flake of the Week's but it was set to private. What was so weird about it?

but not all of them are private!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vLTwYMxGQE

That was kind of disappointing and more than a little boring. Although, I must admit I didn't watch more than 15 seconds. So what do I know? It could get super fun and exciting near the end, Laughing
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:
panzer.time wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

Considering anime lip sync consists of a mouth simply opening and closing kind-of to the rhythm of the words, it's not surprising. And man, they will find any way to get around even doing that much (telepathy, anyone?)

Americans really complain about lip flaps not matching.
On the other hand, just about every Japanese VA misses sometime. It really doesn't matter.

Quote:
curing diseases by kicking selective individuals very angrily in the crotch.

I'd think that would lend itself more to aiding natural selection.

Most of the complaints I see on Japanese animation seems to use all the old arguments from yrs ago when lots of American animators were very worked up over the invasion of anime ruining their livelihood (buy American mode). Over at the Tech TV anime board we'd get someone claiming to be in the domestic industry every couple months or so upset we were cutting into his/her job for liking crappy anime over superior American fare
panzer.time

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
panzer.time wrote:

Thank you! I couldn't remember the term.

In the long run, I'm not sure how much AMVs really hurt music companies. Sure, some jerks will record music off of them, but they're more likely to go to a download site than to bother having to record the audio off of an AMV. Go after those people.

As for video... my understanding is that for purposes of parody etc., you're allowed to use video clips so long as you give credit to the companies and persons who own the rights to the footage. Hence why you can have all these "Abridged" series on Youtube without getting lawsuits.

Really, a DMCA notice is only a special case of a cease and desist. It's also got a lot to do with the fact that if they aren't going after AMV guys, then it's not fair to go after other guys. You know, if Jim can't have cake, neither can Joe.

CCSYueh wrote:

I was really more talking about general audio sync as far as Azumanga Daioh goes, but you're right about Americans complaining. I had a really hard time watching the Japanese dub of Gunslinger Girl cos of lip sync.
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I love your cartoons Brian! Laughing
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I love AMVs and make them myself, what bugs me is when people who have no intention of buying anything make them with fansubs and pirated music. I make them because I love the anime I'm using as my source, AMVs haven't gotten me to buy anime, per se, but I have bought plenty of songs because of them.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:
panzer.time wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

On the other hand, just about every Japanese VA misses sometime. It really doesn't matter.

In America, they record the sound first and then animate, while in Japan it's the other way around, so it's no surprise they'd have different experiences. Though the two instances where Japan did it the other way around (Matsuo Kou's Red Garden and Kure-nai) did result in some of the best dialog interactions in anime.

I gotta say though, the worst lip-synching I've ever seen is in Ed Edd n Eddy. Sometimes, it's downright perplexing, like they obviously aren't mouthing out anything remotely close to what they're saying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
panzer.time

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Spongebob, on the other hand, has great lip sync. No kidding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4