• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (with completed index)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
The series was one of my favorites for the summer season. I will agree with Dorcas spoiler[that he died out of stupidity. Yes, he's a kid, but parents teach their kids to take care of their bodies and know when to slow down and stop their wild behavior.]
happymoose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:25 am Reply with quote
snip

Last edited by happymoose on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
I also very much enjoyed this show. For the last episode, I'd sort of hoped to see spoiler[a flash-forward to a grown-up Mirai coming across her paper about the future, giving us a glimpse of what she might have written.]

Watch the final credits more carefully, and you'll be satisfied.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:23 am Reply with quote
happymoose, the part about Yuki hitting his head when Tokyo Tower collapsed was indeed mentioned previously in the thread as spoiler[the likely cause of death.] I can't be bothered to track it down, but it's there.

And yay, yet another person who likes both Bakemonogatari and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Of course, I strongly believe Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is the better show, but hey, each to their own. I certainly don't begrudge you for your preference; they are both great shows, after all.

And yeah, it was nice to see a strong, competent and nurturing female lead. Sure Mari was too much of a saint (and action heroine) at first, but her behaviour in the second half was far better. Especially when it clicked as to the why of it. Oh yeah, this was a great show indeed.
bin1127

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quote
Thanks abunai regarding the final credits. Just rewatched that part. Masterpiece hands down.
Zath

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I actually stopped watching this series around episode 7 or so, it was pretty slow and i just stopped following it. I'm so glad i decided to return to it, the ending of the series amazed me, during episode 10 i really didn't want to accept Yuki was gone, even though it was becoming fairly obvious. Up until the end of this series, i could say an anime has never made me cry, it doesn't hold true anymore Crying or Very sad

edit: On second though i lied, Cross Game episode 1 did, which is pretty astounding considering how little character development you can fit into 20 minutes.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Aye I just finished the series myself it was a bit slow going around the middle but the end of the series had me at proper tears rolling down the face crying. It's not often an Anime gets me beyond misty eyed. Definately one of the best shows of it's type I have watched. It beats the pants right off the hyper cg hollywood disaster movies.

I also have to concurr that you can't expect spoiler[a little boy to know he has a bad head injury.] Adult's even sometimes miss such things and they where in a situation where most of their focus and concentration is aligned toward's getting home and making sure their respective loved ones are safe. I thaught it (and indeed the whole show) was a very thaughtfull demonstration of just how easily a human life can be lost under such dire circumstances. If kid's could be relied apon to not run around like idiots and look after their own health and keep themselves safe we wouldn't need babysitters now would we ?

I gave this one a masterpiece rating with absolutely no compunction whatsoever Cool
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
So I just finished watching this, and I liked it a lot. Sure got a little too melodramatic (the big plot twist was drawn out way too long), but overall it was good. Realistically, what do you guys think are the chances that this series will ever be licensed? I know it's probably not in the best taste to put this out right now, but it would be a shame for such a good show to just be shelved permanently.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Chances of a license are basically zero. Maybe back in the bubble someone would have picked this up thanks to it being a noitaminA show, but those days are long on. Yes, it deserves to be picked up, but it simply wouldn't be anywhere near profitable in today's market.

The show did get pretty silly (in a Hollywood sense) with all of those suspension of disbelief-breaking disaster scenes; episode four with the collapsing Tokyo Tower is the worst offender. But I rated the show a Masterpiece because, quite simply, the emotional impact was so great that I felt that anything less would have been a huge disservice. I mean, episode five with the grieving grandfather had me welling up, which is rare indeed.

I also rated the show highly on its almost unique-in-Anime premise, the realistic scenes of home life, clear character development, and a twist that may have been obvious to many but which was still sensitively handled. Finally, the show sported an ending which goes against the Anime norm and actually wraps things up and provides emotional closure to boot. A strong ending is essential for a title if it wants to get a Masterpiece rating from me, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 delivered. Like I said, rating it even as Excellent would have been unfair and would not have reflected just how well the show stands out in terms of quality.

The fact that it didn't stand out in terms of popularity is just One of Those Things. I'm not all that fussed to be honest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9