• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (with completed index)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I know about triage, I'm a med student actually. spoiler[I just thought the tag was for the morgue though like every hospital gives out with the name, time and cause of death, and such.]

I tried reading what it says, but no luck there. The print is too small and untranslated.

Spoiler Image
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
It was probably spoiler[heat stroke. The problem is, Yuki was more displaying symptoms of the less severe version, heat exhaustion, and as far as I can tell, none of heat stroke, before suddenly passing out and dieing shortly after. Yeah, it's possible, and his continued physical exertion after he began suffering likely accelerated it. So, it's pretty much his own stupidity that led to his death. Makes it hard for me to be that sympathetic when he died because he ignored not only Mirai and Mari's warnings and recommendations to rest, but his own body.]
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
It was probably spoiler[heat stroke...and his continued physical exertion after he began suffering likely accelerated it. So, it's pretty much his own stupidity that led to his death. Makes it hard for me to be that sympathetic when he died because he ignored not only Mirai and Mari's warnings and recommendations to rest, but his own body.]

You're talking about him like he's a teenager or an adult (and I think even teenagers ignore medical advice at times). If you know anything about small children (I just spent two months teaching and caring for them), it's that depending on their personality, they'll either overplay or downplay an illness. You can't expect a seven or eight year old to understand the full scope of an illness, nor the consequences of not resting--especially at that age when kids internalize guilt in a big way when they feel like they're being a burden (the classic example being a child who thinks he is the reason his parents are getting divorced). And it wasn't as if Mirai or Mari were particularly stern with him, probably because it never crossed their minds that his condition was spoiler[life-threatening]. Saying that he spoiler[died because of his own stupidity is ridiculous]. He's a small child and is in no way responsible for himself.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I think it's more plausible that spoiler[he died from the effects of cranial trauma after being hit by debris from the Tokyo Tower collapse. This article observes that "edema," or bleeding inside the skull after a blow to the head, is "a major cause of delayed death from head trauma."]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
He's a small child and is in no way responsible for himself.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but in no way responsible? He's old enough to know he shouldn't run off by himself, yet he does repeatedly after being told not to. He's old enough to know he's ought to follow the instructions of his elders, even if they aren't backed by threat of punishment for disobedience. He should know that it's dangerous to be by himself in this situation, as he's seen repeated building collapses due to aftershocks throughout the series.

As for him not understanding the consequences of the illness, he's repeatedly depicted as sweating and tired, more so than the other characters, but he doesn't just assure Mari and Mirai that he's fine, he takes off chasing robots.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:02 am Reply with quote
Did they really have to drag that on for two and a half episodes? How many is this planned for anyway? One more?

And about Mirai's family. What's with them spoiler[driving the suspense all the way to the point of seeing two shrouded bodies with the same hairstyles as her mom and kid?]

The research that they're putting into this series gives it a lot of weight. I'll even believe the shock trauma as plausible, but the drama's starting to pull away from that a little.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:
He's a small child and is in no way responsible for himself.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but in no way responsible? He's old enough to know he shouldn't run off by himself, yet he does repeatedly after being told not to. He's old enough to know he's ought to follow the instructions of his elders, even if they aren't backed by threat of punishment for disobedience.

Children like Yuuki with way too much energy and a passion for something (in this case robots) have to be constantly reminded of things. I'm not kidding. When I took the kids Yuuki's age on hikes this summer I had to tell them literally every five minutes not to run ahead and to stay behind me. The problem in this case was that the major enforcer was Mirai. Mari was too gentle with Yuuki, and rarely took the tone of an enforcer. I think she was hesitant to scare Yuuki. Mirai, on the other hand, did try to keep a close eye on Yuuki, but siblings will only listen to each other to a certain extent.

DorcasAurelia wrote:
As for him not understanding the consequences of the illness, he's repeatedly depicted as sweating and tired, more so than the other characters, but he doesn't just assure Mari and Mirai that he's fine, he takes off chasing robots.

There's a reason why young children and the elderly are the most susceptible to illness besides their immune systems. It's because they often can't sense the changes in their body temperature, etc, so they lose logical judgment (if it's even present in a child to begin with). Which it wouldn't be because a child's thinking is literal. One moment, Yuuki might have seen the world swirling around him, and the next assumed he was fine because the moment passed. That is how a child thinks. We're not sure what he was struck with, but if it wasn't fever it would have been very hard for him to recognize his own illness beyond the occasional bouts of headache and collapse. The point I'm making here is that he brushed off his bouts of illness just like everyone else did. Look at Natasha Richardson, and she was an adult. Neither Mirai nor Mari was concerned enough to take him to the hospital. If anyone's at fault here, it's Mari, though there wasn't much she could do.

Also children are much more likely to complain about a small problem (I'm tired, my backpack's too heavy, I cut my finger) than something really important, like dehydration, especially when they don't know what the problem is, so they can't properly explain it. Also, it's precisely because of the gravity of the situation that Yuuki thought it best not to bother everyone, especially with that sunny personality of his.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
But he should have been tired and hungry. He threw up and hadn't had anything substantial to eat for hours.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I too think spoiler[that Yuki wasn't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree for ignoring his body's condition and exerting himself. I think even kids have a little common sense, that raises mental warning flags that something is wrong with you when you start tossing your breakfast up and passing out.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
Episode Eleven

It's a real shame that this thread died at the time it did. My excuse? Err, I don't have one, not really (although I did try to keep the index up to date for the two people who used it). But then, what's yours?

Anyway, I said in my first post in this thread that Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was the best show of the current season (or the entire year for that matter). Based on the fresh plot, incredible emotional impact and an almost unheralded level of realism in the characters, I easily rate it above Bakemonogatari, which is my pick for second spot (for the entire year thus far). To have both shows run concurrently is fantastic, and really proves that despite the usual inundation of crap (usually Moe and Ecchi) we get each season, there are still quality productions being made out there. Just like the Moon has water (albeit tied up in other molecules or whatever), Anime today isn't the barren landscape that shriekers so often claim it is. There are amazing discoveries, if you are willing to dig through the lifeless topsoil and find them.

Enough with that analogy. This show was an amazing experience, and although I haven't made my personal My Anime List public, let me assure you that I without hesitation rated this a solid Masterpiece. I hope that all five of you who are reading this can look past the weaker aspects of the show (namely the manner of Yuuki getting ill) and see the amazing effort that went into this. I also hope that this show sees the light of day regarding a DVD release; normally with this kind of show I'd say unlikely, but it is just so good. Perhaps favourable word of mouth could help to convince a studio that this title deserves being picked up. I really want to own it in a format that isn't just on my hard-drive or a burned DVD.

Anyone else wish to share their thoughts, not just on episode eleven but the series as a whole?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I hope that all five of you who are reading this can look past the weaker aspects of the show (namely the manner of Yuuki getting ill) and see the amazing effort that went into this.

I'm sorry, but I can't. Moe shows get called out all the time for manufacturing drama with characters afflicted by a mysterious illness, but in a show based on realism, I can't just dismiss my disbelief for spoiler[Yuki's nearly spontaneous death].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
I am sure I posted here about the last episode. Well anyway I found it good, though I would say the highlight episodes were around the middle, best being the school episode. Personaly I didn't care much for where it was heading after the "incident", but I guess it served the purpose of giving the series a good sense of the drama.

I found myself trying to hide my tears while watching the last episode, guess my favirout character was Yuuki. Begining of series was good, as was the was the middle, and the conclusion I guess was good, served it's purpose, but was very serious. Who wants to see a good character go emo. But yeah it was nice.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series overall. I thought episodes six and seven were a bit weak, but things picked back up from a storytelling perspective after that and I found the conclusion to be surprisingly heartfelt and satisfying.

It honestly bothers me that I've seen so many people on this and other forums crying foul about how Mirai's mental state, specifically spoiler[how she seemed to create an illusion of her brother out of an inability to come to terms with his death], represents some blasphemous break with the "realism" the show had intended to present. To me, realism doesn't just refer to the physics of bridges buckling and falling into the water or buildings collapsing into piles of rubble, it also refers to the emotional realism of the situation. Sure, most people in real life probably don't actually create imaginary images of their recently-dead loved-ones, but in a visual medium like anime it makes sense to represent her mental state visually , and ultimately the couple of episodes that it takes for Mirai to realize that spoiler[Yuuki is actually dead] provides another opportunity for her character to grow.

That brings me to another aspect of the show I liked, which was how real Mirai's character felt to me. Though my own middle-school days are long behind me, I certainly remember feeling like my family didn't understand me at all and how frustrated I felt when situations became overwhelming. It's not that I meant to lash out, but at that age most people aren't emotionally mature enough to tell themselves to settle down and deal with a situation completely logically. So I really connected with Mirai, and it was nice to see her eventually react to the situation and gain some insight and maturity by the end of the series.

If you thought that spoiler[Yuuki's death ]was spontaneous, that means you weren't watching the show very carefully. I'm watching it through again with others and the point of injury isn't played up as much as one might think, but it's there.

I agree with dtm42 on this one; I really enjoyed the show and it's been one of my favorites so far this year. I thought the type of story was interesting to see portrayed in an anime (disaster flicks are pretty common but I don't think I've personally seen one animated before) and I thought the character development went above and beyond what I would have expected. I also like that things didn't end completely happily and without harm to the main characters - I think that would have seemed really cheap.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I have seen this anime and rated this 7. It starts very well the first episodes have a lot of good drama, but I don’t like how dragged on the idea of Yuki’s ghost is. The last episode is a bit boring with the whole hide-and-seek with Casper the Friendly Ghost errrr…. Yuki. I would also prefer if Yuki remained to be a normal hallucination, not help from a spirit world. These are my biggest problems with this series.

IMO, it is the second most interesting series of this season, Spice & Wolf II being the first.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
belindabird wrote:
If you thought that spoiler[Yuuki's death ]was spontaneous, that means you weren't watching the show very carefully. I'm watching it through again with others and the point of injury isn't played up as much as one might think, but it's there.

So point it out. I went back and examined spoiler[Yuki's behavior in the episode prior to his collapse. He demonstrates multiple symptoms of heat exhaustion, but none of heat stroke. If the cause was actually internal bleeding, or something else, they should have given us an explanation.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9