• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (The Pet Girl of Sakurasou) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I guess so.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Man, I did not see that coming. While I cant relate to what Sorata is going through, the feelings still hit like a ton of bricks.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Sorata no Baka

Well, not really but the latest episode was alright. I read a lot of comments recently on this episode elsewhere and many people had different opinions on it.

I'll just say that 'life is indeed unfair'. Otherwise, I enjoyed the latest episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I find myself magnificently unenthusiastic over the whole "save Sakura Hall" crusade. The emotional vestment into it is just hard to relate to. Of the six main characters, three are leaving anyway, the programmer boy would be just as happy anywhere, the remaining two and the cats have someplace to go.

And even if the petition were successful, it wouldn't change anything. It isn't like a binding action on the board.

Maybe if they had been more focused on what matters they wouldn't be having all this failure now?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Well this certain is an important moment in Mashiro's life. For the first time she's faced with failure and has to deal with it.

Quite the volley of torpedos were launched as well.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
For the first time she's faced with failure and has to deal with it.

I am not sure it is failure she is having to deal with. Out of all the characters she is the one being professionally sought out by the same company that rejected her love interest. Everyone put all they could (when they weren't out trying to do petitions) into succeeding and came up short -- she succeeds apparently effortlessly.

What I think she is actually dealing with is the sense that she doesn't belong. She cares about other people (whether that was recently learned or not) and is sensitive enough to realize that much of their problems (incorrectly, in my view) stems from her simply being there. She knows Sorata's feelings of envy over her artistic/commercial superiority. It seems clear that is a new idea to her and must be quite painful.

A more interesting question is how all this would affect her art. I doubt that this anime has the range to explore that.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
That's definitely part of it. But the failure to collect enough signatures and save Sakurasou without her leaving is also part of that precisely because everything's always worked out for her before.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22

High emotional impact scene, and one of the best the entire series. I would put the train station scene on par with Toradora's similar scene, which I consider to be J.C. Staff' masterpiece. This felt especially echoed when the characters had to spoiler[run to Mashiro, and just like with Ryuuji, we knew that Sorata had to be the one to find Mashiro]. The eventual meeting at the spoiler[station, the place they met, brought the entire thing full circle to make the scene more powerful, and Mashiro's voice being so sad worked awesomely in contrast to her usual emotionless voice], something they have built through the entire series. Waiting for spoiler[the train to pass] was so nerve wracking.

I was reading a lot of comments that they wanted Sorata to end up with Nanami instead, apparently upset about him spoiler[saying that he loved Mashiro]. That makes me a little angry with a lot of the reasons given that she is not girlfriend material, just because she is different is a crappy reasoning. I think something became especially clear in the episode when Nanami noticed that Sorata spoiler[started refering to her as "Mashiro" instead of "Shiina like he normally did], not sure but he started think it started when spoiler[he saw her painting.]

But it was not all Mashiro and Sorata, Nanami was able tospoiler[ thank Sorata for making her work hard, she started wanting to confess, but it really was not the time]. And the friendship scene between Nanami and Mashiro was awesome and just as impactful as the romantic part. Mashiro being spoiler[a little creey with the hug] was very funny, the comedic side of Mashiro has been one of my favourite parts of the series also. Not to mention spoiler[Rita coming too and Ryounsuke thinking she was a hologram.]

They have two more episodes, and I don't know how they are going to outdo this climax, they still have the graduation ceremony, saving Sakurasou, and farewell to their friends.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
This was just beautiful:

Well done, Mashiro. Anyways, this episode was much better this week imo. Also, I'm glad spoiler[Rita] is back. I missed her. Next week looks like the spoiler[graduation], oh boy.

2 episodes left...I think maybe there might be a kiss scene? Heh, who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I was reading a lot of comments that they wanted Sorata to end up with Nanami instead, apparently upset about him spoiler[saying that he loved Mashiro]. That makes me a little angry with a lot of the reasons given that she is not girlfriend material, just because she is different is a crappy reasoning.

It's not that she's not girlfriend material, nor is it because she's different. The issue is that a relationship between her and Sorata wouldn't be a very long lasting one. The divide between them is just too big to allow them to really connect romantically. As it stands, Sorata is smitten with her only because he finds her so dazzling.

I do believe people have raised the same argument in regards to why it wouldn't work out between Ryuuji and Minori, yes?
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
I was reading a lot of comments that they wanted Sorata to end up with Nanami instead, apparently upset about him spoiler[saying that he loved Mashiro]. That makes me a little angry with a lot of the reasons given that she is not girlfriend material, just because she is different is a crappy reasoning.

It's not that she's not girlfriend material, nor is it because she's different. The issue is that a relationship between her and Sorata wouldn't be a very long lasting one. The divide between them is just too big to allow them to really connect romantically. As it stands, Sorata is smitten with her only because he finds her so dazzling.

I do believe people have raised the same argument in regards to why it wouldn't work out between Ryuuji and Minori, yes?

Exactly. The problem is that the relationship is absolutely unrealistic and dangerous. It's potentially damaging for both parties.

Whereas Nanami and Sorata are on equal footing, have both been there for each other when times have been tough, through thick and thin...see where I'm going with this? Marriage vows were created and exist for purpose. That's what real, strong, powerful, and fulfilling relationships are about.

If this were real life here's how I imagine things would go: he'd get together with Mashiro and they'd try to make things work. But inevitably he would never be able to deal with Mashiro's talent and her always surpassing him and him always working his arse off to at least become her equal in talents, but never acknowleding his own talents or the fact that in reality, Mashiro was never his equal in the first place.

Nanami would have moved on, seeing Sorata and Mashiro in a relationship would be too painful for her and she'd place her affections elsewhere. Perhaps she finds someone as good for her or better than Sorata, marries, has a family, etc. Meanwhile Sorata and Mashiro crash and burn and he's back solo, having lost an incredibly matched partner in Nanami so he could pursue an infatuation with Mashiro. Haha, gotta love speculation./

At any rate, if I were the author I would have preferred to have put Nanami and Sorata together. I maybe would allow the characters to explore the infatuation with each other, let Nanami move on a bit, but then bring Sorata and Nanami back together in the end.

But I'm not the author and we don't always get what we want. I just feel that it's jarring to see Sorata and Mashiro together when it seems so glaringly obvious how right Nanami is for him. It's sort of like the whole Friend's situation with Ross and Rachel.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, my senario is pretty much the same as yours, except that Sorata and Nanami will run into each other a few years later, they'll reconnect, and a new relationship will form.

Though the anime likely wouldn't go that far. Still, Sakurasou's always had a heavy dose of reality to it so if it did go that far maybe things wouldn't work out between Sorata and Mashiro.
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, my senario is pretty much the same as yours, except that Sorata and Nanami will run into each other a few years later, they'll reconnect, and a new relationship will form.

Though the anime likely wouldn't go that far. Still, Sakurasou's always had a heavy dose of reality to it so if it did go that far maybe things wouldn't work out between Sorata and Mashiro.

Yeah, that's the positive end. Something similar happened to my wife and I actually.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
If this were real life here's how I imagine things would go: he'd get together with Mashiro and they'd try to make things work. But inevitably he would never be able to deal with Mashiro's talent and her always surpassing him and him always working his arse off to at least become her equal in talents, but never acknowleding his own talents or the fact that in reality, Mashiro was never his equal in the first place.

According to you, any relationship where one person has a higher skilled job than the other is doomed to fail. It can't be the fact of one person covering the over's weaknesses. If anything Mashiro needs someone like Sorata, by the same token Mashiro really should get upset that she can not manage simple tasks. From experience people like her can actually get rather frustrated over it, but Sorata's cat caring nature practically makes him perfect.

What is equality in a relationship? Is Lawrence equal to Holo? Is Keiichi equal to Belldandy? Is Saito equal to Louise? Is Chii equal to Hideki?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Is Lawrence equal to Holo? Is Keiichi equal to Belldandy? Is Saito equal to Louise? Is Chii equal to Hideki?

Yes. No. No. No.

Arguably that first one is the only healthy relationship on that list.

And yes, couples where the female makes more money than the male have a higher divorce rate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 24