• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Afro Samurai: Resurrection TV Film Nominated for Emmy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giascle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
giascle wrote:
They're seriously trying to go against Foster's?

lol

Is that saying it's easy or competitive?

>trying
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:08 am Reply with quote
Pardon my french, but they are nominating this piece of s$!&? It wasn't the worst anime I've seen but the story was very loose and jumbled. I guess this proves that awards to not always mean good quality.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen either of them, I like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends a lot, I thought the animation in the trailer for Afro Samurai was beautiful, but I saw a bit of one of the episodes and it didn't seem that good (though the animation was still excellent), I'm glad to see an anime up for the award, but I don't know if that's the most deserving choice. What other anime would have been eligible for this year's award that didn't get nominated?
Wild_Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Like the article says, this is the 'Outstanding animation more than 1 hour' category or basically the TV movie award.

To qualify, the animation has to air on American TV AND the 'show-runner' has to submit the animation for nomination with the support of the TV network.

But, since almost 100% of anime brought into the US is imported and aired as an acquisition, there's simply no one to champion it (no US-based show runner and no supportive network). I think no network would like to say 'we won an Emmy for a show we acquired from Japan.'). They all want their own shows to get nominated.

Anyway, like it or hate it, I really believe this can only help the anime industry. Maybe it will mean more money from US networks will get used to make more anime?
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
This should not win a nomination. The academy should be ashamed of themselves.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, the only reason this even gets a mention is because Sam Jackson has pull with the academy. If this was dubbed by the usual crowd that do English dubs it would be just another violent cartoon from Japan.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Agreed, the only reason this even gets a mention is because Sam Jackson has pull with the academy. If this was dubbed by the usual crowd that do English dubs it would be just another violent cartoon from Japan.

And it would've never been on Spike TV, just would've been another DVD release and wouldn't even qualify for the award. Sigh
xchampion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
This is Great News. Samuel L. Jackon is my f-ing hero dude. I love everything that he is in. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, anime broadcast which should've won that award aside [*cough* Paranoia Agent and/or Eva *cough*], at least it's nice to see the genre finally represented on prime-time network tv.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote
And I thought the Family Guy nod was a low for the Emmy's. This blows it slightly out of the water.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2