• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Psycho-Pass (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:01 am Reply with quote
Am i the only one who's rather disappointed by this series? There was so much wasted potential.spoiler[ In the end, the Sybil sytem, Akane, the other characters were pretty much irrelevant and it all came down to the big Kougami vs Makishima showdown. That was supposed to be the climax of the story?!

I would have liked to see more development for the other characters. The only one who got something like a backstory was the female enforcer and she turned out to be the least important character in the end...as for Akane, sure, she got tougher, but in the end she still coluldn't do anything or if she did something, it failed.

I liked the last couple of minutes with Gino at his father's grave and the arrival of the new detective, but ultimately it all felt rather anticlimactic.

Perhaps it would have been more interesting to tell the story from the perspective of Makishima. That would actually be a good premise for a 2nd season with Kougami as Makishima v2, challenging the system and ultimately forcing Akane-tachi to take a stand...]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
I have to say, is anyone amused at the utter shift in the team configuration? It started out almost fujoshi bait with mostly guys, spoiler[but in the end it's now almost yuri flavored.] It seems like a sly move from the other writer Makoto Fukami.

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
My friend picked up an interesting tidbit. The new Inspector is the girl from the all girl school saga. http://myanimelist.net/character/74011/Mika_Shimotsuki. So that would make her younger than Akane when she debuted if I am not mistaken. According to MAL, Akane is 20 years old and Mika just graduated high school so she would be around 18 years old.

Now this is something I would like to see in a season 2 or an OVA, not some boring manga, drama CD, novel, or any non-animated mediums. Have her partner up with Yayoi, and have them deal with the next threat being Rina and the rebels.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
Did anyone get reminded of the novel spoiler[Of Mice & Men when Kougami shot Makishima?] That scene really reminded me of the movie and the book although the themes are drastically different; the ways things played out just caused me to think of it.

I'm a bit ambivalent towards the ending of Psycho-Pass. It didn't end the way I expected but it was satisfying enough. I respect the Psycho-Pass writers for not taking a spoiler[F*** THE SYSTEM! approach] and cannot think of a more satisfying ending. Still, I can't help but feel a bit irritated at the conclusion. It feels like nothing has changed or the change is so minuscule at first to notice but I think CrowLia offers a great explanation of the ending.

Due to my ambivalence towards the ending, I gave it a rating of Very Good as of now; I was close to giving it an Excellent in the penultimate ending but I need to reexamine my sentiments about the ending.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain why I felt spoiler[pity even for Makishima]? Sad
Noctis313

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
There will be season 2?
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
Probably not, but we have nothing to go off of right now. Speculation isn't allowed, so we'll leave it there.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
Hmm. An ending both underwhelming and logical. The whole series turned out to be pretty underwhelming, I would say, - not bad, but lots of unrealised potential. Instead of trying to find a way out, he basically gave a typically Japanese "ganbarimasu!!11" with no changes, and... that's it. One has the impression that the series was about nothing much... that's the big difference with the great series like GitS.
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Hmm. An ending both underwhelming and logical. The whole series turned out to be pretty underwhelming, I would say, - not bad, but lots of unrealised potential. Instead of trying to find a way out, he basically gave a typically Japanese "ganbarimasu!!11" with no changes, and... that's it. One has the impression that the series was about nothing much... that's the big difference with the great series like GitS.

I actually found it refreshing. spoiler[Overthrowing Sibyl] and giving a big lovey dovey hollywood style ending while ignoring all the other issues with such an event spoiler[especially with all those riots earlier on] would've felt very insulting to the viewer's intelligence.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
The scene with spoiler[Kogami and Makishima] was great.
I was wondering if maybe spoiler[Kogami might not pull the trigger], but it's nice that that was not the case.

AND OMG (MAJOR SPOILER): spoiler[Ginoza's glasses were fake!!!!111!!!11 XDDDDD]
Noctis313

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
the most wtf scene wasspoiler[the lesbo sex LOL]
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
spoiler[Ginoza's glasses were fake!!!!111!!!11 XDDDDD]

I think I have read it somewhere that the official media stated that spoiler[Gino actually doesn't need his glasses for eyesight, but by keeping his glasses clean, he could control his hue and crime coefficient. But as he stated, he doesn't care about it anymore because he's already beyond the limit.]

Noctis313 wrote:
the most wtf scene wasspoiler[the lesbo sex LOL]

I think it's just fanservice for male viewers.
I was hoping for Kunizuka's active involvement to the system, because she got a full episode special for her past. Yet, she didn't give a f*ck about the system and gave it to someone else spoiler[namely, Karanomori :p]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Well it's over....spoiler[and overall I liked the show, but like others I can not help but feel a bit frustrated at the ending. Nothing was done about the civil system at all? Granted it's not something you can change without time and careful planning but still I can't abide an evil like that existing.] Here's hoping for this show to get a epic movie conclusion or another season soon. Confused
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with those who say that the system is evil. Yes, it may be spoiler[composed out of criminal minds, but they were all very exceptional. They were the reason why the system had flaws (and it still has; like we were told earlier, no system can be perfect), that's why making their minds a part of the system makes it evolve. That way, the system is constantly changing, always getting more knowledge and different views on how the criminals should be judged.]

The problem is people. Humans don't trust each other. For some reason, they feel much more comfortable being judged by machines (that's how the SIByL system was presented to the society).

All these thoughts can be found in episodes 17 and 20. I suggest rewatching them. The points that spoiler[Touma Kouzaburou and others in the SIByL system] make are all, IMO, very intelligent.

Last edited by Ignatz on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:22 am Reply with quote
I didn't think that everything could be wrapped up in a single episode but they all were. It was an excellent ending.

I liked spoiler[the 'full circle' thing going on with Akane now being the senior inspector giving advice to the newbie. She's really grown over the series and has become a battle-hardened veteran. Kogami is AWOL, which I'm glad because that means he's free and alive. I was fearing for his life at times. Makishima got what was coming to him, although it seems like he was a broken man already, merely thrashing around in his rebellion against a system that excluded him. He was smarter than the average criminal but not better; he was essentially no more emotionally mature than a teenager. And Ginoza managed to find perspective and grow up, becoming happier and more comfortable with himself as an enforcer than he ever was as an inspector. Sad that his father died though; that guy was awesome.]

But what really impressed me was how spoiler[the system was not overthrown. Akane didn't even try, because she knew that even if she could it would bring ruin, at least until a better system comes along and replaces Sibyl. In fact, we learn that the system isn't even all that evil; it acknowledges that the current situation is untenable in the long run and hopes that eventually it can persuade people to accept its true nature. Both Akane and the system are realists who know they must adopt a holding pattern for the time being until they can create a better path forward. That's a very mature outlook on things; as someone previously said this isn't the expected "f*** the system" ending typical of other works.]
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just finished that series and I have to say it's the best thing I've watched in a long, long time. A straight-out Masterpiece. The philosophical issues brought out by the Sybil system already made this a top-tier thinking adult's anime, but on top of that the Kogami-vs-Makishima manhunt was amazing in its ferocity. It's already rare to see an anime succeed so well at either element, but to have both so well done -- not to mention so perfectly balanced -- is a feat you'll only see once in decade or so.

The ending was also perfect, spoiler[refusing a cop-out "overthrow the evil system" ending. Each character acted in a way that reaffirmed their psychological development up to that point, bringing them to their natural, well-earned end in their character development arc. I also loved the full-circle ending; it made me go and re-watch the first episode, which gave me even more appreciation for the whole thing.]

I hope they never ruin this series with a second season. It's perfect as it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 44