• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Psycho-Pass (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:
Raftina wrote:
It seems that a person's psycho pass has certain distinguishing characteristics that would uniquely identify him. It seems odd that the user authentication isn't using psycho pass, as everything else seems to rely on it, and it seems much harder to fake than retinal pattern--Kunizuka mentioned needing a supercomputer to actually fake a psycho pass.

I thought about this. It seems that the Dominator isn't able to identify a person by their psycho-pass. That's why they always have to communicate to Shion (who has not been naked yet this season ahem) who relies on security camera footage and a facial recognition data base to identify people they are interested in.

The dominators very clearly use psycho-pass to identify MWPSB personnel: This result is impossible if the dominators are using audio-visual data.

It is possible that only certain people's psycho-pass are stored in the database--Kunizuka's comment suggests that psycho-pass are very complex. However, we were shown direct evidence that dominators use psycho pass to identify inspectors and enforcers.

Everyone in society is supposed to have a pass reading, the dominators are locked only to registered workers with the social welfare bureau. Kunizuka's back-story as well as the very first episode of season 1 shows what happens when unauthorised users try to use the guns.

The dominators work as queue cutters since all manner of people in the show's society are scheduled to go for regular checks. Because of public security concerns, dominator readings are given first priority over all other pending tasks allowing the guns to take on the forms that they are assigned.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Everyone in society is supposed to have a pass reading, the dominators are locked only to registered workers with the social welfare bureau. Kunizuka's back-story as well as the very first episode of season 1 shows what happens when unauthorised users try to use the gun.

This is non-sequitur.

A dominator is limited to personnel in the MWPSB, but this fails to address how the lock is achieved: Fingerprint? Retinal scan? Psycho pass? Implanted chip? DNA?

When Kunizuka tried to activate a dominator while not authorized, her eye did not have the characteristic glow pattern.

Further, when Kamui activated a dominator, only his right eye glowed with the characteristic glow pattern.

This contrast suggests that the dominator user authentication uses the MWPSB personnel's eye--or some information contained within the eye.

Now, when the helmet copied Akane's psycho pass, the dominator read the target as Akane, despite the target bearing no physical resemblance to Akane at all. Clearly, the dominators can immediately identify MWPSB personnel by their psycho pass.

Contrast with when it read Makishima--or any other non MWPSB person--, there is no identification. It is equally clear that the dominators cannot be used to identify arbitrary persons.

Which brings us to my original question: If psycho pass can be used to identify MWPSB personnel, then why is the dominator authentication using their eye instead of their psycho pass?

As an aside, when Kamui activated the dominator, Shisui's eye was glowing, which suggests some kind of cybernetic implant in the eye.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
As an aside, when Kamui activated the dominator, Shisui's eye was glowing, which suggests some kind of cybernetic implant in the eye.

Or it is reflected light from the scanner. I can make your eye do that with a laser. Safely.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Reflected from what, exactly? You can see across the room--there is no reflective surface that would reflect a precise pattern that corresponds exactly to the pattern in the user's eye.

In any case, a reflected light pattern fails to explain why Kamui only has a glow in 1 eye, or why any MWPSB personnel has the glow in both eyes regardless of how the dominator is held.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Stockholm syndrome Shisui is missing an eye, one of Kamui's eyes now glows when he holds a dominator, connection?

A combination of fingerprints and the retinal scan is my guess, since Kunizuka in her backstory was already registered with the bureau because of her stint in the detention facility. Kunizuka's eyes not glowing might have something to do with the episode being set in the past from events in the 1st season as well, no reason to suspect dominators can't go through firmware upgrades. In the first episode, the perpetrator didn't have an eye scan either but the gun rejected him once he held it.

The helmet acts as a mirror, so a wielder "fools" the gun by sending out an equivalent set of data akin to someone else's psycho-pass attained by retinal scan. It's possible one can easily confuse "registered users" with "psycho-pass reading corresponding with registered enforcer/inspector".

You don't need a helmet or eye-contact for the gun to make a reading of any target, even when their back is turned. (Look at the very first episode when Tsunemori targets Masaoka, or even this season when Ginoza aims the dominator at the back of an enforcer) How do you explain this phenomenon when you argue "dominators can't be used to identify arbitrary persons"?

Makishima was special, he was effectively a ghost since the only way they matched up an image of his face and his name was after his big stunt in the abandoned factory and the bureau pulling out Tsunemori's memories. HOW Makishima got through society without a registered psycho-pass is never answered directly in the non-edit version, however Makishima's compatriot Chae didn't have a psycho-pass reading either since he lived underground and was illegally residing in Japan during the first season.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Kunizuka's eyes not glowing might have something to do with the episode being set in the past from events in the 1st season as well, no reason to suspect dominators can't go through firmware upgrades. In the first episode, the perpetrator didn't have an eye scan either but the gun rejected him once he held it.

Sasayama clearly had the glow in the same episode.

The suspect in the first episode not having the glow only further reinforces the assumption that the glow only occurs for MWPSB personnel authentication.

Quote:
The helmet acts as a mirror, so a wielder "fools" the gun by sending out an equivalent set of data akin to someone else's psycho-pass attained by retinal scan.

You don't need a helmet or eye-contact for the gun to make a reading of any target, even when their back is turned

Which is it? Does psycho pass use retinal scan or not? You are aware retinal scan means a scan of the eye, right? How do you scan someone's eye from the back?

Quote:
Makishima was special, he was effectively a ghost since the only way they matched up an image of his face and his name was after his big stunt in the abandoned factory and the bureau pulling out Tsunemori's memories. HOW Makishima got through society without a registered psycho-pass is never answered directly in the non-edit version, however Makishima's compatriot Chae didn't have a psycho-pass reading either since he lived underground and was illegally residing in Japan during the first season.

Makishima was not special at all in that regard. No one other than MWPSB personnel has their psycho pass profile readily accessible to the dominators, if their profiles are registered at all.

Here are the psycho pass readings of the following people:
Nobuo Okura
Guy attending the commu-field meeting
Masatake Mido
Rikako Oryo
Akira Kitazawa
Old guy in drug store

Yuji Kanehara and Toyohisa Senguji never had their psycho pass reading shown on screen.

Please, point out a single instance where the dominator identified anybody other than a MWPSB personnel. There are none. Only MWPSB personnel are identified. If the helmets copy psycho pass as claimed, then the only explanation is that only MWPSB personnel's psycho pass are registered with the Sybil system--or the part of the database that the dominators can access, at least.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
That's the thing, there seem to be contradictions with the way the guns are portrayed. I'm personally unsure how to square the enforcers being identified when their backs are turned while others need to be scanned full-on.

I do realise what retina means in English, no need to be patronising.

Another possibility could be the guns letting the bureau members cut the queue when measuring a pass, but as that is the express purpose of the guns they don't reveal anything else about the identity unless the person is registered with the bureau as an inspector or enforcer.

All of the examples given in the post are of civilians, so yes either you're right and the database doesn't store civilian data or the system via the guns only bothers taking a reading and doesn't have the time to match records in the database with the person on hand.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
A quick check on the Japanese wiki to see what they have to say regarding the dominators:

Biological markers are used to identify if a user is authorised to handle the weapon, one of the markers being a retinal scan. The guns are programmed to expedite criminal coefficient readings but there is no mention of the guns also giving instant ID of the target.

Regarding the military-grade dominators:

Readings over 300 also change the machine to lethal mode, however obstacles between the gun-wielder and the target do not hinder a reading from being taken. However wielders are only able to take readings of the target, so technically enforcers targeting inspectors with the rifle dominator are not subject to the warning regarding insubordinate behaviour.

As for the psycho-pass itself:

All psycho-pass readings for citizens in the society are recorded and managed by public databases.

For the criminal coefficient which determines which mode the guns deploy:

One of the parameters rendered into data form by the Sybill system for public use. Analysis and a final reading are based on previous instances of criminal behaviour and patterns, the only machine which allows real-time analysis and measurement of the criminal coefficient is the dominators which are directly linked to the Sybill system.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 6:

Pretty intense episode with a lot of action. In the end, I liked spoiler[how Akane's team was able to end this little game and showed the truth to the oblivious players.]

Still, I do question if spoiler[Akane made the right choice by letting Kamui] go though. I think she's going to have to reflect her thoughts a bit next time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[That "game" was a very deadly one.
Shisui went to the dark side.
Wonder how Kamui gets people to follow him as puppies.
It's just messed up.
Those drones sure rampaged more than enough.
Kamui slipped their grasp once again..]
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
S2:Ep6-The Adventures of Akane and Her Sexy Harem continue! This time, everyone's in video game mode, but like all good anime video games, if you die in the game you die in real life! Ginoza had many chances to show off just how cool he is, but I'm still rooting for Otouto-type Sho, the holographics expert. He's just so cute, wanting to help big sisters! Kougane's starting to show his creepy yandere colors, and Baka!Mika puts herself to good use investigating his intentions--but what will Baka!Mika do with this information? Will anyone believe her? She's just so...baka! But no one else is, thankfully, and they all work together to bring an end to the deadly game. spoiler[there goes section 3, though. RIP]
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Another action-packed episode. I'm dying to know about Togane now, the yellow eyes, the spoiler[highest psycho-pass recorded, the pictures of Akane in his room, and now, briefly looking like Kogami at the end] who is this guy already? Anyway looking forward to next week.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh, a skintight suit. Clearly evil.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Well the answer as to why Tougane spoiler[has the highest crime coefficient ever recorded and has detailed info on his boss's readings ] is quite clear now.

Much faster pacing than the previous season, although unsurprising given the constraints.

Kamui spoiler[really has the system by its balls and is slowly squeezing them with a vice-like grip. However his failure to kill the entire team of inspectors and enforcers might well play against him. Now that the one inspector who actually knows the system for what it is can confirm her hypothesis with the system directly, the stolen dominators might still be salvageable. ]

The next candidate for spoiler[demotion to enforcer ] looks on schedule. For all the system's weaknesses, it still runs a tight ship with regards to its human resource assessment.

Stockholm syndrome really taken to the extreme. Kamui does know how to pick his victims though, especially one when looks up spoiler[Shisui's writeup on the official website. ]

Bloody Tsunemori and her promise not to see things repeat themselves! At least it's a shot of spoiler[Kougami ] that we don't see outside of the spoiler[OP.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 6

Damn it spoiler[Akane], though I guess it is not actually surprising. One of spoiler[her greatest strengths], the fact spoiler[Akane can stay clear so well and quickly become stable again], can be her greatest weakness as spoiler[she couldn't let someone get killed even with everything that happened]. Usually the spoiler[hero would be able to do something], but we must remember that the entire premise is that the people that spoiler[could do that are the enforcers].

And, seriously Mika. She may well be onto something good but she is probably starting to go down a bad road. And she did not want spoiler[to reveal the truth because of the fallout], it was a damn good thing they starspoiler[ted acting as soon as they could to stop it before it got even worse]. I think someone mentioned earlier that she does not realise that choosing to do nothing is still a choice. She spoiler[could not see the lives they might save by stopping everything and would rather rely on the system take act rather than recognise her own actions].

A great episode too, I prefer it over the slasher element of other arcs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 44