• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Sword Art Online, Blast of Tempest, Magi Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
You bring a very good point with video quality. If only FUNi and Sentai used more discs, and also distributed episodes out better. When I heard Casshern Sin's first BD set from FUNi put 9 episodes on the first disc, and 3 on the other, I facepalmed. Seriously, why can't you just make it a 6/6 count?

YuYu Hakusho on DVD was another facepalmer. 8 episodes on the first disc (The poor video quality.Sad), and 6 on the other? Why no 7/7?

On Sentai's defense, lately they have started releasing their one cour sets in 3 DVD's.

Indeed and in Maid-sama's case, they added a 5th disc for the complete set after previously releasing the show on 4 discs (2 discs in each part set).

@ShanaFan: About Yu Yu Hakusho, 8 episodes on a DVD can work if done right (see Discotek's Fist Of The North Star sets for good examples) but in Yu Yu Hakusho's case (along with the Dragon Ball 2-disc saga sets which i used to own), it wasn't meant to be because they were done back in the Alternate Angle days and ALL of FUNi's releases during that period (even discs with 3-4 episodes) had bad video quality which are easily noticable with most new TVs.

angelmcazares wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
...not sure what NISA does, don't have a release to say so.

If I am not mistaken NIS does 6/6 for DVD's and 8/4 for BD's. I have the Toradora! DVD's and they look fine to me. I have not checked the Anohana and Bunny Drop DVD's though.

I own their Enma set and the DVDs are 7/5 and the BDs are 9/3 and the show's 12 episodes & pretty bare-bones disc-wise.
zr2008

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Well there is 3 series I won't be buying. Makes me want to buy bootlegs of them, but I would just download the dvd rips if it came to that
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
And what's up again with the chronic complaining about Aniplex USA pricing? Don't you people get tired at lashing at AoA every time they announce a home release? If you do not like their pricing, fine...speak with your wallets. Do not come to the forums just to bitch.

Speach without context may as well be gibberish word noise. Are people not buying because of prices/value? Quality? Content?

How could anyone expect them to address the complaints if not expressed?
SpacemanHardy wrote:
And as for waiting a year after the JP release, as long as the licensors use that time to give it a good dub, I don't mind waiting. These days, anyone who wants to watch the show RIGHT NOW can usually do so legally online. I don't know why fans have become so incredibly impatient in recent years. Confused
relentlessflame wrote:
I mean, if you see anime DVDs/BDs as the primary vehicle for simply viewing anime then I think your mindset regarding pricing would be completely different than someone who sees DVDs/BDs as collectors memorabilia for their favourite shows.

I think these two points are quite related, as preferences and priorities make a huge difference in the debate. The car analogy mentioned earlier works only on the basic transportation-as-a-commodity level (not even going to get into some of the comments that read as "all anime is a commodity, so just watch/buy something else, as it's just as good.") However, there are also issues that fall partially under quality of life that would be more analogous to the luxury sedan (LE) versus a fleet car (Std) but also versus public transit (stream) and versus a bicycle (fansubs.) Taking the experience into account could also be like comparing watching a sports event in-person, pay-per-view, regular TV (though DVRs throw a wrinkle into this one,) radio, or reading about the results afterwards.

My preference is for watching from physical discs. Streaming (online, VoD, etc.) is a buying guide to make decisions about yea/nay, purchase price, timing, etc. To me, the discs mean I don't have to worry about my connection, theirs, codecs/compatibility, whether they continue hosting the content, removes ads, less or un-censored content, and higher quality. In that respect, I do not consider the physical disc themselves as another piece of stationary (fluff) included to justify the collector's tag. Just because one is a collector, and can afford a product, doesn't mean one should simply write blank checks.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
Something like Crunchyroll, which starts playback immediately at good quality, is usually more convenient than disks for me. Front-loaded trailers, FBI warnings, and other content-walls really hurt disks, IMO (I always joke: FBI warning: If you had pirated this content, you could be watching it right now). I have an HTPC, so an HD sub-only show on Crunchyroll vs DVD, the Crunchyroll stream wins every time.

I still buy the disks, but mostly as a means of support. Proper Blu-Rays, especially with good dubs, are where disks shine... Too bad those aren't more common.
manicli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
This is a rather bitter sweet announcement. It's nice that SAO for licensed but I'd rather have NIS or Funi license the show to avoid paying (IMHO) ridiculous prices.

I guess it's time to start saving Smile

Too bad it's illegal to advocate violence against a group in this country so as much as I'd like to say "I hope AoA gets maimed, castrated and dies from leprosy and aids"

I should be able to save up enough if they don't break the $10 dollar per episode margin.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Like I said, anime is a luxury. People seem to think that they are entitled to cheap releases when they are not. (It's like people feeling entitled to their free fansubs and scanlations.)

I agree 1000%.

GokuMew2 wrote:
If you spend a lot of your disposable income on anime and still feel the prices are high, you're probably a hoarder. Do you rewatch all your anime? I don't mean just once and then it's shelved-- Do you watch it 5 times or more? I think the perceived value of a series directly correlates with how many times you rewatch it. If you think, "This series is good but it's not worth $250," then that's probably because you would only watch it once or twice.

I have wondered why some people seem to want to own everything. Are they going to have time to rewatch everything more than twice? My personal collection is humble (50+ titles). Why? because I do not want to buy series (I rarely buy anime movies) that are not good enough (or short enough; I do not collect series with more than 100 episodes) to warrant multiple rewatchings.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
relentlessflame wrote:
I truly am curious how many people there still are today who purchase (R1) anime DVDs and Blu-Rays for the simple purpose of just watching anime.

I do not know how many there are, but I am one of them.

Quote:
Or, to put it another way, how many DVD/BD buying customers do so because the Internet (legal streaming) doesn't work out for them?

I am also one of those.

Quote:
I mean, if you see anime DVDs/BDs as the primary vehicle for simply viewing anime then I think your mindset regarding pricing would be completely different than someone who sees DVDs/BDs as collectors memorabilia for their favourite shows.

Very true. we are seeing that here.

Quote:
... the "buy DVDs to watch" audience can't exactly be growing,

That is unproven, but probably true. However a significant market for low cost physical releases does exist at this time, and will exist for several years, at least, in my opinion.

angelmcazares wrote:
I have wondered why some people seem to want to own everything.

That issue actually is being discussed here.

Vata Raven wrote:
relentlessflame wrote:
Or I guess otherwise... what would it take so that streaming *does* become a valid option for people? Is broadband too expensive or not sufficiently fast in a lot of markets still?

I don't have the option of getting nice internet, the cable company are bastards and won't put it on our road...maybe one day they will...they've been working on it for...3 years.

I am in the same situation. I have tried to explain that several times to people in these forums, apparently without success.

GokuMew2 wrote:
People seem to think that they are entitled to cheap releases when they are not.

Have people here actually said that?
Saying that I want something, or even that I need something, is definitely not the same as saying that I am entitled to it.
I want cheap releases, but I have never thought that I am entitled to them.

Quote:
I'm not saying that people should stop complaining

Not everybody who dislikes the situation is complaining.
When I say that I will not buy this because it is too expensive for me I am not lodging a complaint, just stating a simple fact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Yeah, but do you OWN all of what you watched? Because I own everything I re-watch and that's about 100 titles. I think the question was more like "do you rewatch the anime you own?" And honestly, 3-4 years worth isn't that much, I'd put that to shame seeing all that plays on my TV is anime. Either I watch it or have it on for noise, the TV only gets turned off when I plan to go to bed.
No I don't. It's impossible for me to own everything on my MAL, even just the licensed stuff. I don't have unlimited cash, especially since I recently got my first part-time job, and there's only going to be more and more titles I'd have to buy if I tried to buy everything I've ever watched.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/BigOnAnime

Also 3-4 years isn't that much? I think you're underestimating how much content is actually out there. You do realize you have to spend 3-4 years straight without sleeping, without eating, etc. to watch all of that, right? Not to mention there's only going to be more titles that'll pop in.

To watch every anime currently in existence, you have to be a very, very hardcore NEET, and it's possible only for those, for now. In 10 years it'll be literally impossible for even a hardcore NEET to watch everything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
relentlessflame wrote:

I truly am curious how many people there still are today who purchase (R1) anime DVDs and Blu-Rays for the simple purpose of just watching anime. Or, to put it another way, how many DVD/BD buying customers do so because the Internet (legal streaming) doesn't work out for them?

I have to think that part of the issue in this whole thread is that the "buy DVDs to watch" audience can't exactly be growing, so continuing to meet the needs of that market may become less cost-effective going forward (particularly if the Japanese rightsholders believe there's a more lucrative and potentially more profitable market that isn't be well-served by that arrangement).

I do this as well. I personally hate streaming. It's not that I have no means for streaming, I just hate streaming and more than likely, the show I want to watch gets a dub...I don't want to watch it twice (once in Japanese and then again in dubbed format), so I just wait for the release to watch it.

I am also a collector and AMV editor so I rip my DVDs.

Also, the reasons I hate streaming? Subtitles are too small (I watch dub with subtitles for being hard of hearing) and more than likely, it won't stay up there forever. What if I wanted to watch the show again when it gets taken off? I also hate advertisements and will not pay money for something I can't physically hold just to get rid of the advertisements.

As for the licenses... good thing I'm not interested in any of them. I say they look interesting, but Aniplex can't give me a justified price for a blind-buy, I'm not gonna get it.

I'm more than happy to pay prices if it's actually an import and I KNOW it's an import....but this is America: In America I expect American pricing from an American company.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
Do you rewatch all your anime? I don't mean just once and then it's shelved-- Do you watch it 5 times or more?
The very idea of that is unthinkable to me. I've seen so much, and there's WAY more shows I want to see, including ones that will come in future decades. There's only going to be more anime.

Okay, but you're not stating the most important information, and that is whether you feel the prices are too high or not. If you do then it's not surprising because you would be paying $150+ just to watch something once. Someone who pays $150+ but watches the series multiple times is going to feel that the price is more worthwhile than someone who watches only once.

Vata Raven wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
But the question is, do you still feel AoA's releases are "too expensive" even though you rewatch the series a lot?

For all of them..hell no, even more on the sub-only releases. Durarara is the only one set at a decent price (I per-ordered the BD), but PMMM should've been half the price of Drrr, since it has half the amount of episodes (that's how i feel) and the English VAs weren't even that good, but Drrr has union actors like Freeman to make it well worth it.

That's what I think, other people think Drrr is a shitty anime and not worth the price and think another title is worth it the money. I already think sub-only shouldn't be that much. NISA and RightStuf have a good price set in limited edition sub-only. Sentai, I find the price for their bare sub-only to be too high. I go for Media Blaster's cheap sub-only releases.

Sorry-- A little hard to follow what you're saying. You seem to say that you don't think AoA releases are expensive but then go on talking about certain sets being too expensive, which is a bit contradicting.

I'm looking at the MadoMagi DVD/BD LE set on RightStuf and while the price is definitely more than an average release, it does look like there are a lot of extras that go with it, such as a soundtrack and booklet, etc. (Mind you OSTs in Japan cost about 3000 yen themselves.) So yeah, while it's a bit more, I think with the extras it comes with it becomes a better value.

angelmcazares wrote:
I have wondered why some people seem to want to own everything. Are they going to have time to rewatch everything more than twice? My personal collection is humble (50+ titles). Why? because I do not want to buy series (I rarely buy anime movies) that are not good enough (or short enough; I do not collect series with more than 100 episodes) to warrant multiple rewatchings.

I'm the same. I only buy the series that I really, really like and would watch more than once. But then again, being a seiyuu fan, I fall for the traps of Japanese releases that have event application forms or event footage, etc. x_x (Thank God I haven't yet lost a ticket lottery where I bought the release just for the application form. *knock on wood*)

The only releases I've double-dipped on with Japanese and NA releases are Durarara!!, Natsume Yuujinchou, and Kuroshitsuji. I bought a couple vols of Durarara!! for the Izaya and Shizuo cover songs they came with (got them used via Auctions but they were still around $40 each), and then another volume I bought new because it included a bonus disc with the event in Hikarigaoka. I bought the AoA DVDs when they came out, and then got the Japanese BD box because they included the English dub and subtitles (not that I would watch it in English, personally, but I felt it added value) and some extra drama CDs plus the Nakano event in BD (I had already bought the DVD for the event too >_>). I even paid full price at Animate instead of getting it for like $100 cheaper on Amazon because Animate included an extra CD. >___> Of course a few weeks after that AoA announced that they would also be releasing the BD box, and for about a fourth of the price I paid for the Japanese release. That hurt, but at the same time, AoA's release doesn't include the bonuses that are included in the Japanese release, and it's those bonuses that make it all worthwhile for me. I need to sell my AoA DVDs one of these days but they're back in the States. ^^;

For Natsume Yuujinchou, I've got all the Japanese BDs and NISA's release just shipped to my friend a couple or so days ago. This series I don't buy for the bonuses but more for the rewatch value. It's my favorite series and I choose to support it. If NISA were to release it on BD I would probably buy it again just to show my support for my favorite series.

Kuroshitsuji I bought one Japanese release because it included an event. I got all the FUNi DVDs and then re-bought the BD/DVD set (split with my friend-- I kept the BDs, she kept the DVDs). Then I sent Ono Daisuke, the Japanese voice of Sebastian, the original DVD release for his birthday, LoL.

So yeah... I really think whether something is "worth" it depends on if you will be rewatching the series many times, and your perceived value of what is included.

I know it's been argued that the price of Japanese releases shouldn't be compared with the price of North American releases, but why not? In both markets, a product is offered for a certain price, and the consumer can choose to buy it or not buy it. Just like how Japanese people can "preview" a series on TV, foreigners can "preview" a series via streaming (and fansubs, but we won't get into that). At least with North American releases there are different price points. Some companies may be on the high end (AoA, NISA) and some companies may be on the low end (FUNimation, Media Blasters, etc). In Japan, the pricing is pretty much all standard and company A generally releases at the same price as company B. A Japanese person might feel, "This series is good but I don't think it's worth $60 a volume, so I'll just keep my DVR recording and not buy." That same person might also think, "This series is really good so I think I'll buy it." Isn't it the same way for foreigners? You choose to buy the series you really like, and for others that you may not feel is worth the price just keep the HorribleSubs downloads?

Well, that's just how I see it.

I don't know how my entries always turn out this long. ^^;; Sorry for any needless rambling.

EDIT: Oops, missed a reply.

Touma wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
People seem to think that they are entitled to cheap releases when they are not.

Have people here actually said that?
Saying that I want something, or even that I need something, is definitely not the same as saying that I am entitled to it.
I want cheap releases, but I have never thought that I am entitled to them.

Good timing. I think this is a good example of that sense of entitlement I mentioned, and pretty much summarizes the root of most of the complaints here:
Kazemon15 wrote:
I'm more than happy to pay prices if it's actually an import and I KNOW it's an import....but this is America: In America I expect American pricing from an American company.

Touma wrote:
Quote:
I'm not saying that people should stop complaining

Not everybody who dislikes the situation is complaining.
When I say that I will not buy this because it is too expensive for me I am not lodging a complaint, just stating a simple fact.

My comments are not targeted at people like you. =P

"This release is a bit too expensive for me and I will not be buying it" is different than "This release is too expensive and I won't buy. Why can't they friggin' release it at lower prices like other companies? Instead of releasing it themselves at a high price they should let another company license it and release it for cheaper."
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Sorry-- A little hard to follow what you're saying. You seem to say that you don't think AoA releases are expensive but then go on talking about certain sets being too expensive, which is a bit contradicting.

No, didn't say AoA's prices were too expensive. I find PMMM to be a shitty anime, not worth my money. I wouldn't give AoA money, even if the BDs were priced at a $1. I find the anime to be an awful series and should've never been made. I don't like their sub-only releases, I never heard of any of the shows that they've put out as sub-only, AoA won't be getting my money for them. I'm not going to give Aniplex $150 for a fancy sub release when I can easily get 2-3 dubbed shows from another company.

It all DEPENDS on the fan if the price is worth it or not. I would only be willing to spend $150 on a dubbed series of theirs (if they're done well, PMMM has an AWFUL dub on top of it being a awful show, with a full cast of moe characters). And I woldn't spend money on their limited or non-limited sub releases, the money they as for them is TOO high for me to blind bye (yes, I blind bye most my anime, I can't stream). But I'll be giving them money when Blue Exorcist comes out with the dub. And I MIGHT check out these 3 new titles IF they get a dub. I won't even bother with them if they get a sub-only release.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
I find PMMM to be a shitty anime, not worth my money. I wouldn't give AoA money, even if the BDs were priced at a $1. I find the anime to be an awful series and should've never been made.

Holy shit Vata, no one expects you to [expletive] buy a show you hate. No one has ever suggested it, so stop acting like its at all a thing.

As for "it should never have been made", thats [expletive] hilarious coming from someone who bitches in EVERY SINGLE ANNOUCEMENT THREAD that the shows you personally like haven't been licensed.

Yes, Madoka Magica is a magical girl show, aimed at otaku, with heavy yuri themes. NO [expletive] SHIT YOU DON"T LIKE IT SO STOP WHINING ABOUT IT.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
No, didn't say AoA's prices were too expensive. I find PMMM to be a shitty anime, not worth my money. I wouldn't give AoA money, even if the BDs were priced at a $1. I find the anime to be an awful series and should've never been made. I don't like their sub-only releases, I never heard of any of the shows that they've put out as sub-only, AoA won't be getting my money for them. I'm not going to give Aniplex $150 for a fancy sub release when I can easily get 2-3 dubbed shows from another company.

It all DEPENDS on the fan if the price is worth it or not. I would only be willing to spend $150 on a dubbed series of theirs (if they're done well, PMMM has an AWFUL dub on top of it being a awful show, with a full cast of moe characters). And I woldn't spend money on their limited or non-limited sub releases, the money they as for them is TOO high for me to blind bye (yes, I blind bye most my anime, I can't stream). But I'll be giving them money when Blue Exorcist comes out with the dub. And I MIGHT check out these 3 new titles IF they get a dub. I won't even bother with them if they get a sub-only release.

Okay, I got confused.

So basically you bought MadoMagi and didn't find it worth the price because you ended up not liking the series or the dub, right? Personally I don't see how this relates to the discussion at hand. You're basing your opinion on watching the series after buying. We're talking about people who have most likely already watched a series (or at least part of it) and may or may not be buying it after having already watched.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
So basically you bought MadoMagi and didn't find it worth the price because you ended up not liking the series or the dub, right? Personally I don't see how this relates to the discussion at hand. You're basing your opinion on watching the series after buying. We're talking about people who have most likely already watched a series (or at least part of it) and may or may not be buying it after having already watched.

...no..when the hell did I say I bought the stupid magical girl show? I didn't, I previewed the anime when I had the internet. Bloody hell, I bloody said AoA's prices are only worth if a fns is willing to pay the price. I LOVE Durarara, I saw it on TV and find it a master piece, I per-ordered the BD set. I hated PMMM, not worth a cent of my money. But someone else would think other wise and say PMMM is worth it the high ass price.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:08 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
...no..when the hell did I say I bought the stupid magical girl show? I didn't, I previewed the anime when I had the internet. Bloody hell, I bloody said AoA's prices are only worth if a fns is willing to pay the price. I LOVE Durarara, I saw it on TV and find it a master piece, I per-ordered the BD set. I hated PMMM, not worth a cent of my money. But someone else would think other wise and say PMMM is worth it the high ass price.

Okay, fine.

Let's start over: You don't think AoA's prices are expensive but MadoMagi is too expensive because you don't like it.

I don't see that as being relevant. What does it matter to you how much a series you don't like costs? You're going to think it's too expensive no matter what the price, and you've said so yourself. You're basing your judgment on the series, not the company, and I think the discussion is about AoA's pricing as a company. It's fine if you want weigh the worth of a series, but it would only be relevant in this discussion if it were a series you actually liked.

In my original reply I was talking about series you've actually purchased and you brought up a discussion about a series you hate and won't buy. This caused some confusion, at least for me, because you provided information I wasn't asking and I was trying to figure out how it related to the discussion.

Last edited by crosswithyou on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 21