Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Sword Art Online, Blast of Tempest, Magi Anime


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5085

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

I don't see that as being relevant. What does it matter to you how much a series you don't like costs? You're going to think it's too expensive no matter what the price, and you've said so yourself. You're basing your judgment on the series, not the company, and I think the discussion is about AoA's pricing as a company.


You see, you're using logic.

The only that Vata cares about is that her personal whims aren't being catered to, and that people are enjoying things she doesn't like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vata Raven



Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 706
Location: TN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Let's start over: You don't think AoA's prices are expensive but MadoMagi is too expensive because you don't like it.

PMMM isn't worth the price because it is ONLY 12 episodes long, only the fans will pay the price if they find it wroth it. If you're not a true fan of the show, you won't fork over the cash. PMMM also got a piss poor dub that only added onto the price. They had decent sub release prices, their 1st limit set was $75, that's a DECENT price, but now they upped the price to $180. That's a pretty big jump in the retailing price.

AoA screwed themselves over by starting out with cheaper prices and going around and raising them just because some series didn't sell like they hoped. Durarara was their starting point, they priced is well, retail of $150 for 26 episodes. Their next dubbed show, only 12 episodes long, $90 on DVD and $120 on BD. It had half as many episodes, it should've been at least been closer to $90-100 for it on BD, and no more. I speak logic form looking at their first releases.

But honestly, if you don't like if they pick up one of your "favorite" series and whine about their prices, then turns out you weren't much a fan to begin with if you're not willing to save up the money for it. Hell, you don't even have to get the limited edition, wait for a cheaper release. But like people have said before, you can watch it free on the lovely internet, it does seem like nearly everyone can stream and download these days. Honestly, I question if people are even fans of these shows or if they're just happen to with the crowd and watching the "big" show of the season and over-hype it. In a few seasons, these shows will no longer be talked about and the next big title will be the talk of the season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5085

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

PMMM isn't worth the price because it is ONLY 12 episodes long, only the fans will pay the price if they find it wroth it. If you're not a true fan of the show, you won't fork over the cash. PMMM also got a piss poor dub that only added onto the price. They had decent sub release prices, their 1st limit set was $75, that's a DECENT price, but now they upped the price to $180. That's a pretty big jump in the retailing price.


What is even your argument here? You seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions about both AoA and fans of the show, and why you are using this show in particular is just strange.

Also, why should you care about the dub one way or another? Hell, I love the show and I could not possibly care less about the dub.

Quote:
AoA screwed themselves over by starting out with cheaper prices and going around and raising them just because some series didn't sell like they hoped. Durarara was their starting point, they priced is well, retail of $150 for 26 episodes. Their next dubbed show, only 12 episodes long, $90 on DVD and $120 on BD. It had half as many episodes, it should've been at least been closer to $90-100 for it on BD, and no more. I speak logic form looking at their first releases.


[citation needed]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 12982
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
PMMM isn't worth the price because it is ONLY 12 episodes long...

...

Durarara was their starting point, they priced is well, retail of $150 for 26 episodes. Their next dubbed show, only 12 episodes long, $90 on DVD and $120 on BD. It had half as many episodes, it should've been at least been closer to $90-100 for it on BD, and no more. I speak logic form looking at their first releases.


PMMM is ten times better (if not more) than Durarara!!, so if anything it was sold at a huge discount. Simply looking at just the episode count is foolish; you've got to take into account the objective quality of the show.

I mean, I picked up one of the best shows ever made, in dubbed LEs, for less than $300 including shipping to New Zealand. Maybe you don't like the show but logically-speaking, I got an incredible bargain.


Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
GokuMew2



Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 1656
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
PMMM isn't worth the price because it is ONLY 12 episodes long, only the fans will pay the price if they find it wroth it. If you're not a true fan of the show, you won't fork over the cash. PMMM also got a piss poor dub that only added onto the price. They had decent sub release prices, their 1st limit set was $75, that's a DECENT price, but now they upped the price to $180. That's a pretty big jump in the retailing price.

It's hard to follow which side you're in favor of. Your comments get confusing because you go back and forth and add exceptions. I understand now that you don't think AoA's prices are expensive, but you consider short series that are priced the same as longer series to be expensive. (Correct me if I am wrong.) However, I think we were comparing AoA's prices as a whole with other companies' prices, not prices between AoA releases. If you think Durarara!! has a good price but MadoMagi not so much, that's fine, but these comments are still kind of irrelevant to the current discussion.

Again, if you don't like MadoMagi anyway, you're not going to buy it so is there any merit in arguing that it should cost less? I just don't see why you're getting worked up over a series you could care less about and won't buy no matter how much it cost.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ashen Phoenix



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1677

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
In a way, I can see all three of those series getting an English dub AND a chance to be on the new Toonami.

I love the way your mind works, comrade.

I like SAO enough, and as a die-hard Shirodaira fan I'm excited for Tempest. Magi sounds fun too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
luffypirate85



Joined: 06 Oct 2006
Posts: 2748

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
@ Vata Raven: Aniplex priced Madoka high because they could. The fans were willing to pay whatever the cost for it. They aren't trying to "play fair" and give every series, regardless of episode count, away on the same pricing scale. They are tying to cash in. With something like say, Blue Exorcist, I don't think you could find many that would be willing to spend an equivalent of Madoka pricing for it.

I think the Madoka pricing is totally fair. You've got the most popular show of recent time being, and its given the most luxurious release this market has seen in years. Of course it should be expensive, even as a regular edition. They'd deserve a kick in the balls if they gave it away for any less lol.

EDIT: Aniplex's pricing scales are becoming apparent now after they have had the time to grow their catalog:

- For the non limited two cour DVD titles that they get the price will most likely fall into the $120 range (DRRR!!, BE, and whatever else may follow).
- For the limited edition one cour boxes or movie boxes it will vary. Baccano! and Oreimo fell into the $60 range. Their standard edition counterparts had $20 or so knocked off. The other boxes are all coming in at around $150 (R.O.D, DRRR!!, Bake, Rakkyo). They've said Nise will follow the same path. They have probably been trying to narrow down the threshold the most dedicated consumer base would be willing to pay. $150 must be that number.
- Can't guess much for individual feature films because they only have two under their name (Gurren Lagann). Space Show looks like its been ditched. A shame indeed.
- Their imports will always be priced accordingly (Rakkyo, RuroKen, Fate/Zero).
- In the case of Madoka, it was just a total cash grab. I wouldn't be surprised if they treat SAO the same way because its expected to sell a ton overseas. With Magi and Tempest, who knows. If the streaming views blow maybe they won't even risk producing a home release. They don't seem like the type to make big risks (ie: English dubbing).

All are complete guesses based off of a bit of observation these last two years, but hey, at least it might help out when wondering how much should be put aside as savings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3199
Location: NE Ohio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
@ Vata Raven: Aniplex priced Madoka high because they could. The fans were willing to pay whatever the cost for it. They aren't trying to "play fair" and give every series, regardless of episode count, away on the same pricing scale. They are tying to cash in. With something like say, Blue Exorcist, I don't think you could find many that would be willing to spend an equivalent of Madoka pricing for it.

Exactly. This is commercial media. You don't sell Chanel perfume and an Target house brand at the same price, because in the minds of enough buyers, Chanel is worth paying more for.

If I was flush with cash, I'd only pay AoA prices for Read or Die. But we'll see how Sword Art Online goes ... its had a great start, IMV, so its got a shot of getting into that league.

I haven't started Magi yet, but Blast of Tempest looks like its pure streaming fodder for me. It looks like the kind of series where I wouldn't pay more than S.A.V.E. prices for ... so if AoA has any commercial sense, they'll ignore me entirely and look to the actual paying market for it to decide where it gets slotted in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Touma



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 1207
Location: Colorado, USA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
I'm looking at the MadoMagi DVD/BD LE set on RightStuf and while the price is definitely more than an average release, it does look like there are a lot of extras that go with it, such as a soundtrack and booklet, etc. (Mind you OSTs in Japan cost about 3000 yen themselves.) So yeah, while it's a bit more, I think with the extras it comes with it becomes a better value.

Unfortunately that is not true for somebody who is not interested in the extras. It would be a better value for me if they eliminated the extras and lowered the price. But that is just a case where the AoA release is not for me. They cannot please everybody and I have to accept the fact that I am not in the group that they did decide to please.
My only real "complaint" is that their releases put the show out of my price range, but that is not often a problem because I am not interested enough in any of their shows to really get upset about it. And I must admit that If they released a show that I really did want I would pay their price, but I would probably have to give up at least one other show to do it and I would put a lot of time and effort into finding the lowest price available.

Quote:
Touma wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
People seem to think that they are entitled to cheap releases when they are not.

Have people here actually said that?
Saying that I want something, or even that I need something, is definitely not the same as saying that I am entitled to it.
I want cheap releases, but I have never thought that I am entitled to them.

Good timing. I think this is a good example of that sense of entitlement I mentioned, and pretty much summarizes the root of most of the complaints here:
Kazemon15 wrote:
I'm more than happy to pay prices if it's actually an import and I KNOW it's an import....but this is America: In America I expect American pricing from an American company.

I agree with you on this. That certainly does seem to show a feeling of entitlement.

Quote:
Touma wrote:
Quote:
I'm not saying that people should stop complaining

Not everybody who dislikes the situation is complaining.
When I say that I will not buy this because it is too expensive for me I am not lodging a complaint, just stating a simple fact.

My comments are not targeted at people like you. =P

I am not going to let silly details like that get in the way of a good rant, Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven



Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 706
Location: TN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also, why should you care about the dub one way or another? Hell, I love the show and I could not possibly care less about the dub.

Because I'm not goign to waste my time watching an anime subbed when it had a dub. if I hate the dub, I won't give the anime a 2nd chance by going through even more torture of watched the damn show subbed.

dtm42 wrote:
PMMM is ten times better (if not more) than Durarara!!, so if anything it was sold at a huge discount. Simply looking at just the episode count is foolish; you've got to take into account the objective quality of the show.

That's completely subjective. I love Durarara, I love the writing, I love the manga, and I love the novels. PMMM can burn in hell, I hate so much, it's a crap anime that was the over-hype anime of the season. If your telling me that my OWN thoughts of an anime is wrong, you need to get through your damn head and know not everyone likes the same damn stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
manicli



Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 180
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also, why should you care about the dub one way or another? Hell, I love the show and I could not possibly care less about the dub.

Because I'm not goign to waste my time watching an anime subbed when it had a dub. if I hate the dub, I won't give the anime a 2nd chance by going through even more torture of watched the damn show subbed.

dtm42 wrote:
PMMM is ten times better (if not more) than Durarara!!, so if anything it was sold at a huge discount. Simply looking at just the episode count is foolish; you've got to take into account the objective quality of the show.

That's completely subjective. I love Durarara, I love the writing, I love the manga, and I love the novels. PMMM can burn in hell, I hate so much, it's a crap anime that was the over-hype anime of the season. If your telling me that my OWN thoughts of an anime is wrong, you need to get through your damn head and know not everyone likes the same damn stuff.


Nobody is telling you that you're wrong but you've never stated a reason with examples for you hating PMMM.

I personally really like PMMM and dislike Durarara but atleast I can give an example of why I dislike the show by saying they copied the idea of The Beatles walking across Abbey Road except in Tokyo. To me, they shouldn't have put that on the lunch box.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vapors



Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Posts: 137
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Say what you want about Aniplex USA, like em or hate em, but they sure know how get people to talk about their releases and licenses. Out of all the NYCC news, this is the most talked about news story, so while their price point wasn't meant for something like this, a side effect is that it puts more attention on their titles.

I've only really heard of Sword Art Online, haven't had time to watch a couple of episodes. But I've relooked at the descriptions of the other two since they were licensed. Can't say that I still would get them, but if they are available to stream, I probably would give them a second look. License news like this is what gets me to take a look at series.

As for the conversation of AoA's pricing model. I think it is totally worth it for people to voice discontent at the pricing. Its ok for people to demand that anime be priced at a range that is more inline for the likes of Funimation or Sentai. Its their only way to let AoA know that if they adjusted their pricing, there could be potential for additional sales. On the other hand, I think people also need to take the cold hard reality that in AoA's eyes, the consumers who are looking at making "more bang for the buck" purchases are not their target consumer in mind. They want the hardcore collector consumer who values video/audio improvements, Japanese style packaging, etc who can and will pay that premium. That means their margins are tied to making fewer sales to break even at the expense of the more mainstream consumer. And it appears it works. For them.

I wonder do anime fans step back and take a look at all other consumer products and realize that in anything (whether it be burgers, jeans, cars or beer) there is always a varying range that can include the budget side, mainstream mid tier pricing and premium or luxury? Why shouldn't anime, as a consumer product, be any different? Why does AoA need to make their products price in line with what Funimation or Sentai or Media Blasters does? When the new titles come out with their specs, extras and pricing, it should be no different than any other consumer product and fans should make their decisions based on their own internal logic. Agree or disagree with each anime fan, all AoA can do is put product out and set the price and let the chips fall as they may. SAO is probably the only series at the moment I could take a look at when they make that info available.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven



Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 706
Location: TN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
Nobody is telling you that you're wrong but you've never stated a reason with examples for you hating PMMM.

I personally really like PMMM and dislike Durarara but atleast I can give an example of why I dislike the show by saying they copied the idea of The Beatles walking across Abbey Road except in Tokyo. To me, they shouldn't have put that on the lunch box.

Eh, yeah, dtm42 was SAYING PMMM was better then Drrr. She was telling that I was wrong to think Drrr was better. I hate PMMM, simple. I hate the characters, the designs, the crappy voice acting, the use of damn moe characters (they can still look use with the the damn moe design, look at CCS), soe cute thing showing up and sudden destruction happens...the over use of cute...I can list more.

And you hate that they're "copying" The Beatles? A simple picture that was made and mostly had to be approved by Ryohgo Narita, the maker of the series? Ths series has a lot of influence from pop culture. And honeslty, I look up this so-called "Beatles" walk, the only that matches the walk is Shinra. Oh boo hoo, they "copy" a famous walk, it's not going to be the end of the world because of it. But that would have to be the dumbest reason to hate a show, just because you don't like a picture produced for a product. I love the picture, all the poses fit all the characters personalties.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 12982
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
Nobody is telling you that you're wrong but you've never stated a reason with examples for you hating PMMM.


I don't mind if Vata Raven doesn't like PMMM. I've never said that anyone has to like a certain work. But just because Vata Raven dislikes PMMM does not change the fact that it is an objectively great show.

Though, given the sheer animosity that Vata Raven seems to have for PMMM, I have to wonder if they aren't trolling. It's one thing to dislike an objectively good show. But to hate it, to be this loathsome against it, makes me wonder if it isn't all an act. Not to mention them holding up Durarara!! - a clearly inferior show - as an example of something that's supposedly far better.

If people don't like PMMM then that's fine, not every show is going to appeal to every person. But Vata Raven tried to claim that it is "crap". That's an objectively-orientated claim, one that is flat-out wrong. And they've shown no reasoning for why they hate it, they apparently just do. So forgive me if I can't take them seriously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
manicli



Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 180
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
manicli wrote:
Nobody is telling you that you're wrong but you've never stated a reason with examples for you hating PMMM.

I personally really like PMMM and dislike Durarara but atleast I can give an example of why I dislike the show by saying they copied the idea of The Beatles walking across Abbey Road except in Tokyo. To me, they shouldn't have put that on the lunch box.

Eh, yeah, dtm42 was SAYING PMMM was better then Drrr. She was telling that I was wrong to think Drrr was better. I hate PMMM, simple. I hate the characters, the designs, the crappy voice acting, the use of damn moe characters (they can still look use with the the damn moe design, look at CCS), soe cute thing showing up and sudden destruction happens...the over use of cute...I can list more.

And you hate that they're "copying" The Beatles? A simple picture that was made and mostly had to be approved by Ryohgo Narita, the maker of the series? Ths series has a lot of influence from pop culture. And honeslty, I look up this so-called "Beatles" walk, the only that matches the walk is Shinra. Oh boo hoo, they "copy" a famous walk, it's not going to be the end of the world because of it. But that would have to be the dumbest reason to hate a show, just because you don't like a picture produced for a product. I love the picture, all the poses fit all the characters personalties.


Well I guess people will tell you that you're wrong but if you just simply state what you've said without a reason or evidence to defend your point then that just proves their point because it makes yours' invalid.

Your argument still doesn't make sense to me since you list the stuff you hate but still not a reason why you hate them. If you said for example "I hate the moe characters because the characters don't look realistic" then I would actually understand what you're talking about but as of right now you've only listed things you hate and not a single reason why you hate them.

As for The Beatles walk. If a show is willing to copy something that famous just so it could be a bit more successful then in my opinion it's not worth watching. I don't dislike the show because of the picture, I dislike the show because of what the picture tells about the show.

Now it may not be a big deal for you but my friend who's not into anime saw that picture and he literately flipped out and completely denounced the anime, company and the producers for copying The Beatles. I'm sure most people would be upset because pretty much everyone I know likes The Beatles and wants their originality to stay with them.

I'm also astonished that you had to look up Abbey Road but let's not go into that since you obviously don't like The Beatles the way most people do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 21

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group