• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino- OAV DVD Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

I didn't even know the second season was available. Blame that one on the bargain bin.
Razz

It's technically not available until the 18th, but I was able to get mine 2 and a half weeks early from RightStuf. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Ugh, if you are talking about the SR Third Semester, I say take it out back and bury it. I loved that series but I really loathe how they ending things.

Oh no!!! Don't become one of "those" fans! I beg of you!

No, no, no...you don't understand: what they did to my beloved series was spectacularly egregious. But you don't have to take my word for it. Have you seen the first two School Rumble seasons? If yes, did you like them? If yes, I defy you to watch the Third Semester and not agree with the statement that the ending sucked harder than an industrial vacuum cleaner.
mrgetalife

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Teatrino isn't really lauded for its artwork... so I don't think a BD release would be wise.

Well, It saves room. I don't have to store a dumb box set for the same cost. And as mentioned the DVD box set is only being release this month after being only available on streaming.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
mrgetalife wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Teatrino isn't really lauded for its artwork... so I don't think a BD release would be wise.

Well, It saves room. I don't have to store a dumb box set for the same cost. And as mentioned the DVD box set is only being release this month after being only available on streaming.

I think the article says that
Quote:
The first series will be re-issued on Blu-ray Disc on December 1 as well.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, both seasons hitting BD within the next 6 months. Though all these re-releases are making me really question whether I want to grab the DVDs of FUNi titles or just wait until they come out in all their splendor.

As to the quality of the GSG series on BD, while pretty, I have not been terribly impressed with the HD presentation available through IFC On Demand. Hopefully, this is just a problem with the compression required for cable streaming, and the artifacting will not be present on the discs. Of course, without knowing what resolution they are streaming at, it could also just be the box (a clear and present weakest link) is doing some interlacing/upscaling on the picture.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I have an all-new HD setup, 50" Panny plasma 1080p hooked to a custom media PC with a high-end HDMI video/audio card via a Pioneer receiver. While BD resolution shows do look somewhat better, I think it really depends on the equipment. Because of the line art, jaggies are the worst enemy, and it really depends on the upscaling capabilities of the components, which leads to picking the right components, and then choosing the right one to perform the scaling.

I've heard the PS3 is the best at upscaling, but I have no other use for one, and the LG BD player on my system works fine--not to mention being able to play 1080p "files" as well and stream (the "720p" from CR/ANN even looks pretty good). I have three choices for upscaling in my system: The video card, the receiver, and the TV. I chose the card, and am very satisfied. I set the screen resolution to 1080p, and it nearly always looks clean. I finally marathoned Macross Frontier in 720p this week, and it was truly awesome on this system.

All to say... if your equipment is really good at upscaling, you won't notice much difference in most anime unless your are a hardcore videophile demanding perfection. BD makes sense to me for Akira and Rebuild of Eva, Ghost in the Shell movies, but I would rather spend money on a new series than re-buy BD for the average series. Of course, if they want to remaster Galaxy Angels in BD, then I'm there Smile (The key word being "remaster")
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2