• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yaoi/yuri vs. other western media on gay/lesbian portrayals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Sword Magess :

I do agree that most of the time homosexuality in anime is a mood lightener, it's purpose being just to get a good laugh and show an alkward situation. Some of the homosexual situations in yaoi and yuri are very laughable. I think that the show believes it is going outside of the box by putting in lesbians or gay men and then gives them a very stereotypical relationship.

In yuri (I'm more fluent in yuri than yaoi Smile ) we have our whimpy girl who has some bad childhood secret and acts like a sick puppy. You hit her she comes back, you leave her she waits for you, ect. She doesn't date around she just sits and waits because she is completly defenseless. This character tends to be a nobody.

Then we have the "masculine" girl who 50% of the time rides a horse because horses are very manly. Laughing She also is the popular one. All girls (even the not gay ones) want to date her. She never questions her sexuality because no character ever questions their sexuality because gay people wouldn't do that. Rolling Eyes

When I think about it, really there isn't too huge a diference in the media on either sides. Generally it is unrealistic, the only major difference I see is that in Japan it is okay to fantasize but in America it is not. Both countries seem to look down upon it but not all people of course.

Man I wish there was an acurate portayal anywhere GBLT life. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exsist.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
Then we have the "masculine" girl who 50% of the time rides a horse because horses are very manly.

Which reminds me of Golden Boy where instead of a horse it's a bike.
But I never thought of riding a horse as manly. Maybe from a girl's point of view yes.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
It was just a joke but it comes up a lot. The random shots of Chikane (Kannazuki) riding her horse to save the day make me crack up. Maybe because she looks into the middle distance wistfully. Laughing They always seem to do a more boyish sport though. I don't personally think that horse riding is manly (as a female) but they sure throw it in that light a lot.

If Simoun has one horse scene I'm tossing it. Twisted Evil I'm not sure I'd go that far but that would definantly dock it at least 2 points on a 1 to 10 scale.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough, I've found - having spoken with lesbian friends of mine who're familiar with anime - that Devil Lady actually has one of the most accurate portrayals of lesbian courtship out there.

Funny thing is how many anime fans forget that Devil Lady was a yuri show...
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal quotes:
Quote:
Funny thing is how many anime fans forget that Devil Lady was a yuri show
Funny thing is how many fans may or may not forget that Devil Lady was also a lesbian hentai manga essentially. That is, they would want to carry a mild version of that intent into anime.
newotaku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I think a good example of what you're talking about is the Cardcaptor Sakura manga.

spoiler[Sakura's friend Tomoyo is in love with her, but she isn't making advances on her or anything, and she is talented and normal (well, as normal as people get in cardcaptor).

Then there's Sakura's brother, Toya, who loves Yukito. Toya is a very ordinary guy too, not stereotypically butch or effeminate, and neither is Yukito. And they are never shown being intimate (i.e. kissing), so it is a purely romantic relationship.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3