• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can you get too old for anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Of course not. Anyone who uses age as some kind of measure of approval is the real child.
ZombieBunny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear I can't help but think about this question a lot. I'm in my 20's and a medical student, so I wonder about how my patients may perceive me! I mean it's not like I'm going to see patients in an anime t-shirt or greet people in Japanese, but it is just something I think about.

As a side story though there was an "uncooperative" patient brought in by his parents one night at the ER I work in. They thought he was doing drugs because of his weird behavior, so they wanted a drug test. He's a legal adult, so they really didn't have a leg to stand on- but that's beside the point. He wasn't talking to anyone, and they sent me in to get some "experience" (med school is constant hazing). I walk in and the guy is wearing a soul eater shirt and was obviously pissed off at the whole situation. Long story short we got into a conversation about anime. That got him talking, and from that everyone figured out what was going on.

So hey I mean... it helped me out once!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
For me, doubtful. I'll be 30 this year and I've been a fan for over half my life. I don't see it going away anytime soon as long as the industry continues to be so diverse and produce some decent stuff that I enjoy. That isn't very hard to do seeing as how I have a fairly broad range of taste. I plan to watch and collect this stuff 'til the day I die and meet my maker in an anime shirt with pocky in my mouth. Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of which, our local Kroger has Pocky for sale, more than one type. Will wonders never cease. Razz
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Priorities shift. Liking and disliking a medium doesn't. You might dedicate less time to it, but I don't see you disliking it due to age.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
At an UT Anime Club meeting I saw somebody who had to be in their 60s.

Hey, let's be brutally honest, here:
The kids in their teens and twenties are watching the fight series, the noirs, the fan-services and the demon hunters.
Those who started early enough to still be watching in their thirties and forties remember Lum, Ranma, Lina Inverse, A-ko, the 999, Miss Daicon, and the Dirty Pair...

....Which anime fan would YOU ask for advice? Cool
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
Umm...All of them because all of that stuff is great. Razz
katsura76

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
it is scientifically proven that anime fandom ends at precisely the moment one reaches 37 years 114 days and 6 hours of age.

some people may have their interests change, some others may feel like they should grow out of it. I think those that are truly fans and really enjoy it do so forever.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
You see the same argument for video games. I don't know do you out-grow entertainment? I hope not.

I'm only 22 and I fell out of anime for almost 4 years until recently discovering streaming sites and realizing I don't have to sacrifice food to watch anime. Even ceasing to visit anime sites or involvement in the fandom, I never stopped watching the favorites I did own.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
ZombieBunny wrote:
Oh dear I can't help but think about this question a lot. I'm in my 20's and a medical student, so I wonder about how my patients may perceive me!

At best as an idiot, murder and worst of the criminals who just wait for their organs to be sold to China. Plus paedophile, if you want to be paediatrician. Especially when you seem to be doubtful about their self-diagnoses.

You mean that they may notice your human nature under labcoat? If you still have delusions, try scrubs. People with appendicitis really have worse things to worry about.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Most of the people I've mentions either anime or manga to just give me a blank look. They had never heard of it. Come to think of it, until I bought my first anime tape I had never heard of it either.
archaron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
It is the same for me as well Alan45. I did not start to get into anime until I was about 25. Now I am 35 and I don't see myself stop watching anime. As long as I still have fun watching it, I don't see why I would stop. The time to stop watching anime is when it is not fun as a hobby for you anymore.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm not exatcly old (Hell I'm still in my late teens, I'm very young) but I honestly can't see myself getting out of anime, I haven't even fully gotten out of cartoons for petes sake, I don't watch them as much as I used to but from time to time I watch a few eps and get a good laugh. Anime hyper

I think theres something special about animation and making comics in general that you can't get anywhere else regardless of age, hence why I want to be a cartoonist, and anime has only made that dream even stronger for me.

Also if its of any relation to the argument, my mom, while not an anime fan, has enjoyed things such as summer wars, FMA and the sacred star (I needed the ride) and especially One Piece. I think it was at that momment that I not only had a idea as to why OP was so popular in japan, but that there are somethings people never acctually grow out of.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Now at 31, I'm finding myself to be more tolerant of some types of shows, and less tolerant of others.

I was into seinen/sci-fi/arty shows from the beginning, and that hasn't changed, but I'm far more tolerant of shounen action shows now than I used to be. I'm loving One Piece now, but 10 years ago? Not a chance. And, indeed, I did try watching it 10 years ago, along with a few other big shounen properties.

The genre I'm far less tolerant of now is the boob show. When I was first getting into anime, I liked Tenchi quite a bit. Now, I don't think I'd make it past one or two episodes, and I've generally regretted any similar show that I've watched since. Except Golden Boy. That was great... though I probably wouldn't give it a chance today Laughing

So, rather than "grow out of it" I'll probably just refine what I'm into. I'm way past the "watch anything" phase, and am far more selective on what to watch (like, I'm watching One Piece, and Hunter X Hunter, but that's basically it in that genre for now). Having more responsibilities than I do now will limit it further, but anime has already outlived most of my other hobbies.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't think you can....it's as been said, it's a medium of entertainment and would be like "outgrowing" music, movies, television, etc. :]

I think you can outgrow certain SHOWS though....because I already have. Anime hyper

Quote:
The genre I'm far less tolerant of now is the boob show. When I was first getting into anime, I liked Tenchi quite a bit. Now, I don't think I'd make it past one or two episodes

Boob show? o_o The Tenchi Muyo series is actually pretty tame when it comes to that. Yes, there is "bath time fan service" but it's not every episode, nor is it constantly in your face. I'd say Tenchi is one of the best harem shows out there because it offered so much more than a "all these girls want to DO this guy lol here are some boobs and panties!! lol" plot. I really liked it when I was a teen (and I'm a GIRL) and I like it a lot STILL now...and I'm not that much younger than you, sir. Anime hyper
Watch the dub though. The sub will put you to sleep. It feels like the voice actors are putting NO emotion into it whatsoever...>_>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12