• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Should I watch Gundam SEED Destiny? Please help...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
apbt wrote:
spoiler[ The resurrection of Mu La Flaga was a little bit much, but no worse than Heero Yuy in Gundam Wing or even in Gundam Seed with Kira Yamato.]

No, it is much much worse. spoiler[His helmet was floating in space in the original broadcast of SEED, so he must have died. After all, a direct hit by a capital-class weapon at close range is going to kill anyone, unless the plot armour is turned up to eleven. And it really cheapens the original sacrifice that Mwu made.] All in all, a classic example of how studios pandering to what they think the fans want actually backfires more times than not.

Sidhardha wrote:
And its difenetely along with Seed a GREAT show to START into Gundam universe. After that you can watch lots of better Gundam shows, but Destiny is probably the most undemanding and entertaining ones that are easy to get into, wich is for many one of its main criticism.

Undemanding? Yes, SEED Destiny doesn't require any intelligence or effort to watch. But entertaining? No, not past the first handful of episodes. Starting from episode twelve, most of SEED Destiny's battles were complete let-downs from the energetic and lively beat-downs that marked the last third of SEED. Part of that is the unusually poor choice in battle music, and then there is the chronic usage of stock footage and the incredibly dull choreography. Finally, the utter lack of tension resulting from Kira and Athrun being too powerful just killed the battles for me. The first season's "Druggies" were awesome, capable of pushing the protagonists to their limits. If they hadn't fought so much between themselves Kira would have died back in Orb. In SEED Destiny, excluding -that- battle (and the bit with the spoiler[Strike Rouge),] did anyone ever land even a single blow on Kira? No, they didn't, despite him piloting a supposedly inferior machine for half the series. Even in the final battle, which is where the plot armour is supposed to come off so the main hero can have a proper fight, he didn't even get his paint scratched. That's not pathetic, that's criminal. And boring.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
I'd say no, if you're looking for a decent sequel to a Gundam series, watch Zeta Gundam in which I found a masterpiece, because Zeta had awesome character development and a decent plot. Also Gundam 00:The Second Season would be another great choice Gundam sequel series. The problems I found with Gundam SEED Destiny was the repetitive theme that was shown in the first series. The overall plot from start to finish was not written well, the protagonist Shinn Asuka isn't a really likeable character and Athrun Zala's character development goes down south by the middle of the series. So as I said, if you have seen the first Gundam series, then watch Zeta and if you've seen Gundam 00 and liked it, then watch the second season of 00. [/b]
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Sidhardha wrote:
Kinda like, Naruto Smile

Well let's not compare Naruto and Gundam ... both are so different there's not even a way to start comparing.

apbt wrote:
Hello, Nagisa, I took your word about Gundam Seed Destiny as the truth, and I avoided it like the plague. My wife wanted to watch it, even though I told her it had received bad reviews. Nevertheless, I watched it with her and I enjoyed it.

Just like I said, as someone who watched Destiny before SEED, you definitely don't need to watch SEED first, unless you got the anime at your hands.
If Gundam Seed Destiny is your first Gundam, like it was for me, you're definitely gonna enjoy it without even watching Gundam Seed
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Meh kind of late but I'll throw in my 5 cents. I'm not a big Gundam but I do watch alot of mecha but I'm a fairly balanced fan all in all. Personally I don't see a problem with starting with Destiny if that's the only one you can see. The only thing you miss out is some back story and a deeper connection between some characters. But Destiny is mainly about Shin and the new crew for most of the early half of Gundam. The series does a good job establishing where the older characters are now and the state they are in since the first series ended.

Oh and you'll probably miss those "Oh, that where they are!" or "Oh that's [insert character]!" moments when the series doesn't immediately re-introduce the character. Although Destiny doesn't hurt, I'm a linear watcher so I like watching in order if they series are connected. But like I said, Destiny won't really ruin anything for you if seen first. Also if your a mecha fan, Gurren Lagann is another good choice.
spirits4life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quote
Yes you should watch Gundam seed Destiny Anime hyper But after watching Gundam Seed, it's not neccessary but it helps you understand the sequel more. But after you watch Gundam Seed it gets so much better in Destiny. I say it gets better because there's a better main character and other characters, but both Gundam Seed serieses basically follow the same path, and both end with someone having control over a giant cannon that could destroy everything in it's path Very Happy
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
Destiny can be watched prior to SEED. The only downside is that you'll get spoilered by doing so. If you ask me, it is a great mecha show and the only major downside is indeed the old cast and some useless magic resurrections. Otherwise, the music is decent, battles are nice and some mecha designs are fantastic. The quality drop in SEED/Destiny is hardly visible and it's certainly nothing compared to what happened in Z/ZZ.

I must say, that it is absolutely worthless to listen to the opinions of Gundam fans (I am one myself), since the fanbase is incredibly polarized. The most avid Gundam haters are none other than its own fans. Just watch it as casual pop corn entertainment.
alaskaslim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Me watching Gundam S--D: Oh, hey! It took them half the plot to get here, but I can see my hou- oh, wow, they just blew it up....

Me watching Gundam S--D Destiny: Oh hey! They're mentioning Alas- oh, its because they blew it up last season...

Me watching Gundam 00: Oh hey! There's a character from Alas- Oh he just died...

One more crack about my home, and I swear, I'm heading over to Bandai to put my foot up their collective asses.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
mai yukino wrote:
I'd say no, if you're looking for a decent sequel to a Gundam series, watch Zeta Gundam in which I found a masterpiece, because Zeta had awesome character development and a decent plot. Also Gundam 00:The Second Season would be another great choice Gundam sequel series. The problems I found with Gundam SEED Destiny was the repetitive theme that was shown in the first series. The overall plot from start to finish was not written well, the protagonist Shinn Asuka isn't a really likeable character and Athrun Zala's character development goes down south by the middle of the series. So as I said, if you have seen the first Gundam series, then watch Zeta and if you've seen Gundam 00 and liked it, then watch the second season of 00. [/b]

Part of the reason why I liked s2 of 00 was that its basic plot set-up was in a sense a partial remake of Zeta. Sure it didn't use some of the corruption elements as good as Zeta did it but the story was coherent and engaging enough to make it one of the better Gundam series.

But yeah like other people stated, do not watch Seed Destiny. I found Seed to be enjoyable despite some of its faults but after watching Destiny I did not expect much. Its pretty much a rehash of Seed with the same plot replaced with annoying characters. I also did not understand why the creators got so lazy and reused old UC mechs in Destiny. How does a Zaku qualify as a new MS and why is the Hyaku Shiki(Atatsuki) in this series also? I just felt this was incredibly lazy.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
well you watch GSD really give it's the 2nd season of GS era & yet ok to watch.

besides GS series is more well done on characters, drama, emotion, feelings, etc that is MAIN groove besides i'm not a mecha person but only on characters, story, sound, & characters yet GS era is one of the elite.

besides really GS era is more to watch than that 00-flop disaster really don't got the same level as GS era.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
Delpheno wrote:
Okay so the only "mecha" anime I've seen is probably Neon Genesis. I have an opportunity to see Gundam Seed Destiny. Is the mecha genre kind of an acquired taste? Something you have to get used to?

Is there anything I need to know before watching this? From the summary in ANN, it seems like it's a sequel to some other Gundam series.

I'm incredibly confused.

yeah you should if you actually care for the gundam franchise. IMO its been squeezed so much honestly there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LEFT. If you have seen one, you have seen them all. That is the cold truth. With that said, watch at your own risk. I only watched gundam because nothing else was on.

Lesson:
Hype isn't everything and there is a reason its really only popular in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2