• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - ANTI-PIRACY HYSTERIA

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

you know a little something in me just wonders if you or anyone who uses that these days even knows what it means.

Almost certainly not.

Yeah these days it's just used as a low level insult which ends up pushing the discussion towards a cliff.

also @Chagen46 I would like to point you towards this thread and my question that answered the question.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=694290

also is that really you that encyclopediadramatica entry is about?

Last edited by yurihellsing on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Call me a weeboo if you want, but I don't watch Western animation since its themes and settings don't interest me. In general it'll either be kid oriented comedies, serious super hero stuff or ranchy adult comedy. I don't watch anime with those kinda themes, so why would I watch Western animation that has it? Call me when there are Western animation that do good slice of life with cute girls or good action story that doesn't revolve around super heroes.

Only Western cartoons I've seen and liked were shows like Teen Titans, Avatar, Wakfu and Freakazoid.

Albeit at least a couple of those involve "super heroes." Wink

One of my old faves was Exosquad; it involves mechs in planetary war campaigns reminiscent of WW2's European theater. Cute girls in slice of life would be like Archie or Jem or maybe W.I.T.C.H. sometimes (I wanna say Bratz or Barbie or Disney's Fairies as some people find them cute).
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Barbie and Bratz, really? Laughing
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Also, you never stopped watching cartoons Lav, ANIME ARE CARTOONS TOO!!! *Just from our buddies in Japan* Cool Laughing *runs away from angry fans*

Why are you even here?

Because i'm a fan of anime just as I am toons, and Funi Forums and Toonzone don't always have a lot of Traffic, so I come here.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
There is no point, but weeaboos have internalized "Cartoons are for kids" to the point that they feel the need to justify their anime fandom by screeching about how anime isn't for kids.

Cartoons 'are' mostly for kids in the west. How's it inaccurate to say this?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
There is no point, but weeaboos have internalized "Cartoons are for kids" to the point that they feel the need to justify their anime fandom by screeching about how anime isn't for kids.

Cartoons 'are' mostly for kids in the west. How's it inaccurate to say this?

My point is that some anime fans have internalized it--they think that "cartoons" really are for kids, and therefore are obsessed with insisting on anime not being cartoons (since "cartoon"="for kids" in their eyes) to feel "mature".

Of course, this can all be fixed with the realization that "cartoon" just means "animated tv show".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Barbie and Bratz, really? Laughing

Hey, some people get their hots on for lolis; some people get theirs on dolls. Don't judge them. Very Happy

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Because i'm a fan of anime just as I am toons, and Funi Forums and Toonzone don't always have a lot of Traffic, so I come here.

See, me leaving would have an adverse effect! Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The other day my daughter got me watching Ben Ten of all things. I had it down as one of those action cartoons to sell toys to 8-year-old boys, (and I understand that it is just that), until it had some what could be taken as "mature slice of life" moments of regular teen problems of relationships, and wondering why one's life isn't going the way one thought it should, or expected it to. In short basically an underlying theme in subtle continuation, similar to some anime. Teen Titans had that as well which made it a quiet favourite of mine. I give the producers credit for adding that little bit of adultness to it to try and bait parents to thinking it's not just a 27 minute toy commercial. I'd probably enjoy it more if it wasn't for the annoying proclamation of each monster Ben calls up from that wrist ban as if kids have the memory of a fish, but maybe I'll be doing that when I have the mind of an 8-year-old again. (picture himself slapping his wrist watch and yelling "SPIDERMONKEY" at the nurses trying to get him to the toilet in time.) I will not go quietly into that long goodnight. Laughing
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
@Soundmonkey44
I apologize I should have been more clear. I believe people know the US makes comedy and action cartoons. I was speaking of all those genres listed on the chart. Is there suitable replacements in American animation to list them out by themes and genre like romance, sports and games, drama, mystery, thriller/drama, horror and other concepts? The only somewhat horror cartoon I can think of is Courage the Cowardly Dog, but I would not classify that as horror in the same vein as Higurashi, Blood-C, Another, Red Garden or similar titles. I admit it's a bit hard to classify some shows by genre. I believe Red Garden is more myserty, drama, and thriller than horror myself, but it would seem to fit a bit as well due to the themes it presents. Courage the Cowardly Dog is more of a comedy show about a dog experiencing paranormal stuff than a true horror cartoon I find. Perhaps because it is for kids, but I do not know of any adult examples.
Tetsuryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
In my mind, "cartoon" means something with emphasis on comedy. I wouldn't call something like Heavy Metal a "cartoon".

I prefer the more general term of "animation" if I want to include both anime and cartoons under the same label.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
"So, Mr. Macdonald, what do you do for a living?"

"I run a website about Japanese comic books and cartoons."

-t
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
"So, Mr. Macdonald, what do you do for a living?"

"I run a website about Japanese comic books and cartoons."

-t
So when's the stock floatation day then? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16