• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1 Sora no Otoshimono Episode 'Too Dangerous' for TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
It's probably for the best. I think I can feel brain damage setting in just from looking at the promo art.

seconded.

kokuryu wrote:
When they say its too dangerous for TV, that meant that the STORYLINE contains content which is considered radical or dangerous to the viewer's mental health, so they wont air it. i.e., usually stuff like suicides, poison gas attacks, random knife murders, making fun of the janitors in buildings, showing a real movie star or politician in an unfavorable light, etc.

I thought so at first, but when you see the promo art ... no way. xD
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
When they say its too dangerous for TV, that meant that the STORYLINE contains content which is considered radical or dangerous to the viewer's mental health, so they wont air it. i.e., usually stuff like suicides, poison gas attacks, random knife murders, making fun of the janitors in buildings, showing a real movie star or politician in an unfavorable light, etc.

That sounds possible. Koi Kaze had an unaired episode because it dealt with the topic of divorce.

Yep... A show about incest had an episode blocked because it talked about divorce... I don't understand Japan...
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
This is a damn smart idea. And you guys making fun of it are probably the same ones who'll buy Dragon Ball: Season One just for the first 13 episodes previously unreleased. The people behind this wouldn't do it if they didn't think it would work, even if their audience sees past the ruse! If I were in Japan, and liked this show, I know I would be excited to buy the DVDs.
Wetall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
No, it's just another non-clever ruse to force otaku to buy DVDs and was probably planned like this from the very inception of the show. Not news.

That's EXACTLY what is going on. They do this sort of thing with DVD releases all the time as far as fanservice titles are concerned.

It's just another marketing ploy to give people the incentive to get the overpriced DVDs. Chances are, it's just some episode that puts a lot of focus on suggestive bath/beach scenes like every other DVD-only episode in most fanservice titles. Why the hell do people impude excess political controversy in business decisions when they have no real clue as to how they actually operate?
calimike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
There is pay tv anime in Japan. I forget what is name of pay tv anime?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Please this is just a ploy to get people to buy DVD's.

Plus are we talking KNJ "Too dangerous" or School days "Too dangerous"?
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
kokuryu wrote:

That sounds possible. Koi Kaze had an unaired episode because it dealt with the topic of divorce.

Yep... A show about incest had an episode blocked because it talked about divorce... I don't understand Japan...

My guess would be this too. That the subject covered in the episode was deemed "too dangerous". Note that they did not say "too sexually explicit" or mention anything about its mature nature. Besides, why would they have one episode of uber-ecchiness and the rest not so-ecchi? If it were just a matter of sex, they can simply censor it like they always do. That would still provide an incentive for DVDs without the need to omit an entire episode from broadcast.

calimike wrote:
There is pay tv anime in Japan. I forget what is name of pay tv anime?

AT-X

Although some shows have aired nudity and such before in the very late hours over broadcast TV.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
lol at people overreacting to KnJ and School Days.

Just wait for it to leak on t3h gr3at int3rn3t.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Just the picture can be deemed "too dangerous" for TV. No offense to the Japanese but this seems like hypocrisy. It didn't stop them from a TV broadcast of Kodomo No Jikan (which I am glad didn't get released here officially).
that just tells me you didn't even read it. the TV edit was fine for anyone of the proper age to watch.
If that promo art is anything to go by I would guess that would be 16+, and TXing at the usual 0200 time slot. Wink
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:

Hahaha, does looks like that type of series? It's a bunch of girls that appeal to the stupid moe crowd.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
My thoughts exactly. I mean Japanese television can show anything. Ultra violence, extreme nudity, Koi Kaze and so on.

Not quite anything, and what can't get shown can vary a bit from station to station. Censor steam exists because of this, though some people tend to think that's a conspiracy to make people buy DVDs. Itou Nobue is (claimed to be) 20 in the TV series because they can't portray underage drinking and smoking on TV.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Basically its like the Nice Boat commerical for Haruhi, but this time its jam packed with slightly eye twitching fanservice and of course, a male main character is caught up in it.

Too Dangerous= "Buy our dvd's, they aren't uncensored or anything, but hey it has moe blob and fanservice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2