• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How often do you re-read your manga?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon182

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I have a modest sized manga collection(about five shelves worth), and when trying to organize my manga, I realized I haven't read some of these manga more than once.

I sometimes find it hard to follow a story line if I've been waiting more than a few months for it. I often find I have to go back and read/skim the last volume of the series, in longer running series with weird publication schedules ie. Oh my Goddess. Who knows? Maybe my memory is just faulty.

My question is, how often do you re-read your manga? Do you find things you've missed on your first reading?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
There are a few series I own that I have done a complete re-read of but not as many as I'd like. Of course, right now most of my manga is in boxes in the basement so it doesn't exactly lend itself to re-reading.

So definitely not very often but the series I own in their entirety are all ones that I would like to one day read again. I don't keep any books that this isn't true of.
blueyes_ryuu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
i re read one piece whenever i have free time. i like reading back intersting bits that i liked, so i like reading it again to re live the excitmnet.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm like marie-antoinette in that everything I own is something I would like to read again some day. If I'm not going to read it again, it has no business sticking around.

However, that said, I still have far too many books I haven't read yet to really justify rereading. I used to reread my favorites about every couple of months, but as my collection has grown that's become kind of impossible to do and still have time for the new stuff. =_= (I'm around 2k manga, for reference.) I'd feel bad rereading Meru Puri for the nth time when I've got Eyeshield 21, Yakitate!! Japan, Ranma 1/2, etc. waiting for me.

I do have the same issue of remembering what went on in previous volumes. I've tended to solve that by just waiting for a series to end before reading it. Like, I'll read the first few volumes to make sure I like it, then collect the rest & read it when I have them all. That's the main way I read series now, instead of going volume by volume. I really like that way of reading, actually. It means I never have to wait 6 months at a really bad cliffhanger ever again. Cool I think the only series that I read as-it-comes-out is Skip Beat!. And yeah, with that one I tend to reread the previous few books before reading the new volume.

As for finding things I've missed on a first reading--- I'm not sure. Generally, it's been so long by the time I get to reread that I've forgotten what my first impressions were.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
It all depends on the series. Some I have read several time, others just once and some I haven't managed to finish yet.

For those series that I am reading while they come out, I go back two volumes when ever I get a new one to read. Since it is usually three months to a year between volumes it is hard to keep track of where you are.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I own a variety of series, but it's the comedy manga I find myself going back to the most since I enjoy them so much. For a longer, more serious series, I have to be in the mode for it.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't re-read manga all that often, once every several years would be a lot for one title. My memory is pretty good (to the point where some people call it photographic), so I usually just re-read the parts I liked most.

I have a bad habit of re-reading while cleaning and re-organising the bookshelves. Some title will catch my eye, I'll flip through to a memorable chapter and read a bit from there.

Very rarely I'll re-read something almost immediatly after reading it the first time. Sometimes because I enjoyed it so much I want to experience it again right away, sometimes because it's a very layered work thatll allow for multiple interpretations.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
It depends on several factors for me, the biggest one being time, but it's very rare for me to ever re-read a series in its entirety unless I really enjoyed it the first time.

The thing with me is, I'm not a very diligent reader. I'll buy the entire series or the latest releases of an ongoing series, get them home and then let them sit on my shelves for weeks before I pick them up, so if I do re-read something, it'll usually, just be the previous volume and then I'll be good to go.

It also depends on what series it is. I've found that if it's something like Naruto or Bleach, I won't go back and read it again unless I have an extreme urge to do so because I can grasp the plot of the story easily without needing to look back for clarification. It's the deeper series like Death Note and Monster that I'll go back and take another look at because their stories are so complex. As a matter of fact, I plan to re-read Monster in its entirety someday just for kicks.

As far as picking up on subtleties or details on a second reading, it happens, but it's rare because it'll be so long in between the first and second read that I'll have forgotten that I was looking for such things.
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
It depends. But typically, I'll re-read a series maybe once or twice a year? I have a couple on my shelves I reread less, but I don't really keep manga if I don't ever intend to re-read it. I've re-read Yotsuba like...4 or 5 times since I started collecting manga again two years ago, I think.

It depends on the series, really. Some of them, I can do over and over and they don't get old, but sometimes, I don't like to re-read too often.
stocksatron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
I tend to re-read a title if I'm planning on reviewing it or if I want to look into a certain art style
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
It really depends. Some series I enjoy rereading more than others, although everything in my collection I like enough to want to keep and reread. I just reread all of Genbu Kaiden since volume 10 came out recently. I'll quite often do that with series when there's a big gap between volumes being released.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
Man, I've been trying to formulate a good answer for this. Things I instantly fall in love with, like Banana Fish, I might re-read 4 or 5 times within the first year of discovering it, then it kinda slows down per year until it's every 2 years, then every 3, etc.

But I also have a tendency to forget what happened in previous volumes while waiting several months for a new one to come out. My solution with Kekkaishi is actually thus: I've re-read 1-13 a ton of times, I've read up to volume 24, then when I got subsequent ones in, kinda didn't feel like re-reading that many volumes. Then I saw the accelerated release schedule and decided that there's only two more volumes to come out at this point. So I'm going to wait for 34 and 35 to come in, then just re-read the whole damn thing, though for 11 of those volumes, it'll be my first time reading them. So I'm thinking maybe waiting for several volumes to come out for a series might not be a bad idea. I've also only read to 7 for Tegami Bachi for example.

But I will say that I remember re-reading stuff all the time when my collection was smaller. It was somehow more magical. But I also couldn't imagine it without all the great titles in there now. It could also be now that I'm older, passage of time is different, so it doesn't seem as long as it really has been between a re-read. Also, I'll jump around between games, anime, and manga, right now I appear to be in an anime mode.
Jon182

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I wish I had a photographic memory. Of course I can see the downside to this as well. Unpleasant memories would probably be harder to forget. Well, there's a plus and minus to everything I guess.

One of the reasons I tend to re-read manga has to do with the fact that I tend to look at different elements during each read. I look at the pictures at times, at others I focus more on the story. One manga I enjoy re-reading has been the Yotsuba & series. The images are heart warming and the characters are well done.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I re-read the manga I own all the time! Very Happy Of course, I don't have nearly as much as most people on this site seem to (you say five shelves worth is "modest", but it seems like a lot to me! Laughing), so it's less overwhelming. I don't usually blind buy, and when I do, it's only the first volume. Otherwise, I only purchase series that I know I'm going to re-read.

The catch is that I usually only re-read certain volumes. I have favorite volumes of certain series that I never seem to get tired of (or, at least, haven't gotten tired of yet), and those are always the ones I gravitate towards when I feel like re-reading something. This is true for normal books too. I hardly ever re-read series in order.
ninja noir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
I buy maybe at least two books a week, so I don't re-read that much.
I would re-read a book or re-watch a DVD maybe once every couple of years since I don't like doing so while it is still fresh in my memory.

A problem I have is that I have a terrible memory, so lets say I read a volume of manga, and the next volume is not out for another three months. What I do then is, I wait a year or so until I have a whole bunch of new volumes,(ten or so) then I read the series from start to finish in one sweep. (same for TV, I can't wait a week between episodes because I forget whats going on, so I watch the first few episodes to see if i like it, then buy it on DVD)

I own all volumes of 20th Century Boys, but I have only read up to volume 13 because that is where I stopped. I still wont read the rest until I have both volumes of 21st Century Boys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2