• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Add Naruto Shippūden in U.S.

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
Well, from the perspective of somebody who isn't a fan of Naruto:

Naruto + Disney = a lot of new anime fans; because, however much the show ends up being edited, most of the kids watching it aren't going to have a clue about that -- and as Shadowrun said, a ton of them are going to think it's the greatest thing in the world.

And as others have said, there's always the DVDs (the better way to watch anime, in my opinion).
shadowysea07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
dvds are far more difficult to obtain and are expensive
its much easier to just search online. and i wouldn't wish one piece or any anime for that matter being sent to disney DX. one piece had terrible luck being picked up by 4kids who edited the hell out of it and ended up losing the license to funimation. but because it was on a 2 year hiatus when it came back no one new what it was. it also started about 1/4 the way in so it ended up being cancelled. anyway i don't consider disney picking up naruto a great thing. it'd be better off cancelled. who knows if disney is going to even keep the original va's
also most of the kids watching this won't understand whats going on since they don't know anything about the first season.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:31 am Reply with quote
DVDs are easy to obtain. Rent them, or buy them online (and if you're living in North America, you probably even get free shipping). Or there's always that legendary Netflix thing I keep hearing about.

Disney is "keeping" the original VAs. The Naruto license is still owned by Viz, Disney only signed a deal to air the show.

Also, most kids 6-14 aren't going to be obsessed with plot continuity, I assure you. Ninja and magical powers will be enough of a draw.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:48 am Reply with quote
shadowysea07 wrote:
who knows if disney is going to even keep the original va's

*facepalms* Why...?

READ SOME OF THE OLD POSTS AND THE ARTICLE BEFORE POSTING PLEASE. The VAs for Naruto, Sakura and Lee are reprising their roles as well as Gaara's VA who commented about how the DVDs will remain the same.

Responding to an article on such an emotional note without much context or insight ...well let's just say generally the US Naruto fans that claim the series is for older audience CLEARLY act and reason like children. Considering how Naruto fans are generally looked down upon you can afford to brush up a little if you want to make a strong case for that.
Effect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote
Nice. I don't think people understand. Disney for a long time has been trying to fix the problem they have with male teens and young adults. They have woman/girl audience locked. This is also why they actually are in the process of buying Marvel Entertainment. Expect to see Marvel superhero shows on Disney Anime hyper as well in the near future. Disney Anime hyper is suppose to be for the older male crowd as well so I doubt Naruto is going to be that edited if edited at all. The channel is meant for those aged 13 on up so why edit the show? People are getting all bent out of shape before the show even aired. Complain after you see an episode and if it happens to be edited. Don't just assume anything or take your worry and belief as pure fact. Disney Anime hyper isn't Disney proper and they are purposefully going after an older audience. Disney of all companies knows what it's doing.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
Effect wrote:
Nice. I don't think people understand. Disney for a long time has been trying to fix the problem they have with male teens and young adults. They have woman/girl audience locked. This is also why they actually are in the process of buying Marvel Entertainment. Expect to see Marvel superhero shows on Disney Anime hyper as well in the near future. Disney Anime hyper is suppose to be for the older male crowd as well so I doubt Naruto is going to be that edited if edited at all. The channel is meant for those aged 13 on up so why edit the show? People are getting all bent out of shape before the show even aired. Complain after you see an episode and if it happens to be edited. Don't just assume anything or take your worry and belief as pure fact. Disney Anime hyper isn't Disney proper and they are purposefully going after an older audience. Disney of all companies knows what it's doing.

Most of the animation programming is made up of Marvel and DC shows at the moment. I'm going to guess that all of the direct to video Marvel movies that are being produced will have a nice home now.

One of the major complaints against Disney recently is that they have not been active in the male market in comparison to the female market. When Bob Iger took over and started to make across the board changes he said that this issue would be corrected. In response Disney Studios and ABC Studios have made a bunch of live action and animated programs aimed at young males (6-12) for mornings and early afternoons and are now using external resources to build the late afternoon and night time slots for 12+ market. This is a very smart move by Disney.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote
shadowysea07 wrote:
its much easier to just search online. and i wouldn't wish one piece or any anime for that matter being sent to disney DX. one piece had terrible luck being picked up by 4kids who edited the hell out of it and ended up losing the license to funimation. but because it was on a 2 year hiatus when it came back no one new what it was. it also started about 1/4 the way in so it ended up being cancelled. anyway i don't consider disney picking up naruto a great thing. it'd be better off cancelled. who knows if disney is going to even keep the original va's
also most of the kids watching this won't understand whats going on since they don't know anything about the first season.

The situations are different now.

When One Piece was butchered the ONLY way to see it uncut was through fansubs.

With Naruto Shippuden there are DVD's as well as online, legal, and free streaming of the majority of it.

So don't even compare to this One Piece's situation.

Plus those who get into Naruto Shippuden through Disney Anime hyper and are interested in checking out the original can stream the whole thing online legally and free.

I mean, yeah, maybe you wanted it to be somewhere on TV where it will be less edited, but face it, this won't hurt you.
chonji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
thank you revolucionary just my exact thoughts. Very Happy
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
Disney did something worse than it's Marvel buy out.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Hmm? Kind of like most off the people on this site. Fan history repeating itself right on time.

Dude, for your information, I've been an anime fan since I was 9. I'm a junior in college now. So FYI, it would be to your advantage to STFU.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Although I'm a hardcore Otaku who will never leave the fandom, most of you somewhat newer guys will get to witness the kiddies grown from the Disney channel and brought into the fandom.

HYPOCRITE. Almost all of us are hardcore otaku, asshat.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
um... no I'm not an otaku and not everyone here is.
shadowysea07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
shadowysea07 wrote:

With Naruto Shippuden there are DVD's as well as online, legal, and free streaming of the majority of it.
Plus those who get into Naruto Shippuden through Disney Anime hyper and are interested in checking out the original can stream the whole thing online legally and free.

I mean, yeah, maybe you wanted it to be somewhere on TV where it will be less edited, but face it, this won't hurt you.
you obviously didn't read my post i never compared the two. i was just explaining the situaton one piece went through to someone on the last page.
as for netflix you would have to wait to rent the shippuuden dvds since they aren't available for quite a while since they have them in limited supply. and as for buying them i'm glad some people are rich enough that they can blow 40 bucks for a couple of eps. thank god for hulu putting the dub and sub eps on because thats the easiest way to watch them. anyway my point is its better off being cancelled that way i don't have to see it butchered. i would rather it not be on tv vs having it become edited to th point that it wouldn't make sense.

Last edited by shadowysea07 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
shadowysea07 wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
shadowysea07 wrote:

you obviously didn't read my post i never compared the two. i was just explaining the situaton one piece went through to someone on the last page.
as for netflix you would have to wait to rent the shippuuden dvds since they aren't available for quite a while since they have them in limited supply. and as for buying them i'm glad some people are rich enough that they can blow 40 buckss for a couple of eps. thank god for hulu putting the dub and sub eps on because thats the easiest way to watch them.

40$? They're are many places you can get cheap anime. If you look around.
shadowysea07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
well yeah there are some sweet deals online but at the average walmart, bestbuy ect they are around 40 for the newer ones. even on amazon they have them for around 30 new though they just changed the price from 49.98 which makes me feel bad for the poor idiots who preordered before the price drop.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
shadowysea07 wrote:
well yeah there are some sweet deals online but at the average walmart, bestbuy ect they are around 40 for the newer ones. even on amazon they have them for around 30 new though they just changed the price from 49.98 which makes me feel bad for the poor idiots who preordered before the price drop.

best buy maybe but walmart's prices are cheap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 16