• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Toole Runnings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Ahh, Mike's mentioning of old UK dubs are a trip down memory lane. Manga Video UK dubs were the very first english anime dubs I bought back in the early nineties.

A bygone age, I'm afraid. Much has changed in the economics of English dubbing since those early times. An industry insider's testimony suggests that things are more fruitful in France and Germany though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty cool with most extra content on DVDs, image songs and whatnot as long as it creates a deeper atmosphere when watching, but actor's commentaries are for the most part pretty lame since they tend to either be your run of the mill ego trips or giggily exchanges between actors about how this and that happened while working on the show. Keep them more grounded in how the actors prepared themselves for the show or discuss histories and influences the show has had (granted, this only really works on legacy shows.)

As for show ideas....I'd kind of like to hear a discussion about the various keystone "gateway" anime shows have come and gone over the years, shows that drew in the fans pre DVD days. Or heck, talk about how fandom has evolved over the years. (Not very interesting to most, I know, but it could be interesting.)
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Good podcast. Love Mike O'Toole's voice Smile

Like a earlier posters, I also have those Captain Power videos (I think all of them) and they aren't copies (as well as quite a few of the toys - a long story I do not want to get into but I will say the late 1980s was not a great time for me Rolling Eyes ). I just wish the series had come out on DVD (I don't think it ever did) because I'd like to re-watch it.

One issue I did have with the show - Zac, people in Kansas don't sound like the voice in the Samurai X Sony dub, at least not the ones in the Western part of the state. If you want to know what Kansans sound like drive up to Bakersfield (I think at least half of that city is originally from West Texas, Oklahoma or Kansas Razz ) or listen to Kari Wahlgren (who's originally from central Kansas). I've always been baffled by the accent used in many cartoons from the late 1960s until recently, which is what that dub used (generic American kid not from NYC, New England or the U.S. South). I guess I always thought it was some sort of accent kids on the East Coast or Upper Mid West had growing up but actually thinking about it now I'm not even sure it was ever a real accent. Instead, I have to wonder if it was made up by TV execs in either NYC or L.A. who just thought American's from the middle of the country talked like that Confused . Because I can't think of anyone I've actually ever met that sounds like that, now I really think about it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

One issue I did have with the show - Zac, people in Kansas don't sound like the voice in the Samurai X Sony dub

holy crap it was a joke
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
sound more like after school special

One there thing
Classic Novel I like see made i anime H.G Wells Time Machine
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
I was actually surprised to hear that Zac likes One Piece, I love it for the same reason that Zac does. wow now that i think about Zac and I have a very similar taste in anime....
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
Wow, its been months (if not longer) since I've since or heard anything that Mike Toole took part in. I am amazed, Johnny Bosch and now Mike Toole. That is quite impressive.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:

One issue I did have with the show - Zac, people in Kansas don't sound like the voice in the Samurai X Sony dub

holy crap it was a joke

I really didn't get you were joking Confused . I realized everyone thought what you were discussing was humorous but the way you said it sounded like you were serious and felt that was how it was (people in Kansas (or more specifically the Mid West) spoke like that and the dub people wanted to have a nice middle American accent to sell the dub) and thus it was funny because it was such a strange accent. Which probably was the joke, I just didn't get you realized the accent was totally made up Embarassed .

I do like the podcast though. It's been nice to finally hear what you sound like in real life, as well as what Justin sounds like (he sounds a lot older than I take it he is from your earlier podcast discussion about how old you were) Smile .
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I read manga much much more slowly than most people (it seems), so it's a good value for me.
Longbow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Well done and each podcast gets a good laugh out of me at one point of another. Please keep up the good work.
As an MLS (Master of Library Science) student I end up running into a lot of different stuff both academic and popular. Question (or potential topic) for the ANNCast (Zac, Justin or guest): I have encountered some books purporting to do “serious” research into the medium. “Anime from Akira to Howl’s Moving Castle: Experiencing Contemporary Japanese Animation” by Susan Napier comes immediately to mind. I found it a good read and well researched. What is your thinking on these books?
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I definitely enjoyed taking the moment to listen to the podcast. Have to admit, I do miss DVD extras but mostly because a healthy portion of my collection is either AnimEigo or US Manga Corps and their healthy selection of creator interviews, design art, and original Japanese promotional material always struck me as being completely worthwhile.

Of particular note, the Bubblegum Crisis boxset which included interviews, music videos (not the least of which was Hurricane Live) and original production line art. Those were what extras should be.

Actually, that's an interview I'd like to see if you fellows could pull off. Maybe get ahold of whomever's in charge of AnimEigo these days and get them to go all misty eyed about that wonderful slice of the 90's when the laserdisc was king and their releases were second to none.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
pparker wrote:
But I don't think I've ever heard a single even slightly off-color or irreverant comment from an American anime voice actor on commentaries.

You clearly haven't heard Spike Spencer's commentary during the last scene of the Evangelion TV series. Wink

And then there's Monica...
Quote:
AoD: I don't know if you know this, but in a couple of the commentaries coming up on the shows, you've had to be bleeped over [on the UK release]. Have you heard that? [everyone laughs]

MR: Yes... I don't know what happened here, but I can tell you what happened in the US. I said the word retard, and I meant it referring to myself, and not in any way to offend anyone. It's the same way like I have a friend that's gay, and we'll say, "Oh god, that's so gay!"

AoD: I think a lot of people do that…

MR: Yeah, and I never should've picked up the word, but I picked it up and I couldn't get it out of my head, and it started going on to other people, which is horrible, but it was one of the things. In Angelic Layer I said something, and I came back the next week to record something and I know that David [Williams, ADR Director] said, "Oh no, we have a problem. You said the word retard and the BBFC, they want to get this certain rating, and now it's going to be PG-13 instead of PG," and I was like, "I'm sorry!" And the mixer said he had to edit it out, so of course when the next round of commentaries came up, David Williams decided it would be funnier to instigate it. You know, "Monica, what are you?" "A retard..." And he really pushed the envelope, so I think that's the one that will be edited. The thing is, the people that edited it didn't watch it before they edited it. So what they did is they took out the first reference to "retard", and this is something you didn't know [Monica looks at Hugh], basically I went on to talk about how I was coming to England later in the year, and I had to be careful not to say that word, and I started to go, "I can go bloody and bugger if I want to!", because over there in the US, those words mean absolutely nothing, and they didn't cut that part! [laughs] So you'll get angry parents ringing up saying, "Why is Monica Rial talking about bloody buggers?"

From this interview. See also here.

Swissman wrote:
I don't know if the Carl Macek dub of Laputa is on the japanese dvd

The original dub is indeed on the R2 DVD, which was released before Disney did the new dub (for that matter, I've never actually heard the Disney dub)

Zin5ki wrote:
Swissman wrote:
Ahh, Mike's mentioning of old UK dubs are a trip down memory lane. Manga Video UK dubs were the very first english anime dubs I bought back in the early nineties.

A bygone age, I'm afraid. Much has changed in the economics of English dubbing since those early times. An industry insider's testimony suggests that things are more fruitful in France and Germany though.

I unearthed a couple of interesting articles by Jonathan Clements from the web archive version of the old UK Sci-fi channel site a while back that you might find interesting:
When Manga Ruled the Earth (about the end of Manga Entertainment LTD)
A Christmas Toast (About the dubbing of Return of the Overfiend, strong language warning)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Classic made into anime. A 52 episode faithful adaptation of both the Iliad and Odyssey. 52 episodes each I think it would cover it well.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Classic made into anime. A 52 episode faithful adaptation of both the Iliad and Odyssey. 52 episodes each I think it would cover it well.

THIS is something I would like to see as well. Brillaint idea...
jshepherd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
When I spoke with Mike McFarland from FUNimation at Otakon 2009 in July, he said they're more than halfway done with the dubbing for One Piece, having completed more than 200 episodes in the past two years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5