• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wizard World tour

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
Has anyone on the forums gone to a Wizard World tour event? I'm seriously thinking about going to the WWT in LA this coming March and I'm just looking for opinions/thoughts.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
It's a Corporate Con, basically one big dealer's room full of dealers, most losing money because of their outrageous booth prices, and a bunch of booths from the major Comic companies, Sony, that sort of thing

They'll have guests of honor, but the likelyhood of getting near them is small, and the panels are usually sparse and lame

In other words, no substance, all flash.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I went to Wizard World Philadelphia last year and the dealers room was filled with bootlegs. And they were painfully obvious bootlegs. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I've brought those bootlegs to the attention of the Con Chair twice before coordinating with the MPAA for a righteous smackdown that happened at WWP this year. Unfortunately the MPAA is not empowered, nor are their agents trained to bust Asian boots. Something I'm trying to change.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Unfortunately the MPAA is not empowered, nor are their agents trained to bust Asian boots. Something I'm trying to change.
The bootleg issue bothers me. Maybe because I have seen so many, through the wonders of eBay purchasing, I find it easy to figure out what is bootleg or not. It's kind of obvious to me.

Well, I am going to go to WWT in LA afterall. Hopefully they will have minimal bootlegs there. (I can dream can't I?)
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
If you haven't met Kevin Smith, now will be your chance. Oh, and screw the MPAA. They continue to make money each year jacking up ticket prices, but they want to continue stopping any technology which would reduce attendance in theaters, instead of
putting more effort in releasing better content. Plus their ratings
board hurt many an indie filmmaker more than any bootlegger could possibly do to Spiderman 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1