• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Scientific Railgun (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Last few episodes make no sense because authors were too lazy and/or too stupid with coming up with sensible way to develop the story: little blond girl spoiler[survives by sucking lollipops, which neutralize the toxins that are byproduct of her artificial body. She has many lollipops, and she sucks it as she always did.

Yet, out of the blue and without reason, she passes out on the outside and brought to the hospital -- only for the frog doctor to disclose her nature to the main heroine. I am not sure that authors could come up with any more lame, unbelievable way to move the story forward.

(And the blond girl was definitely not going to die due to expected short life span as her creators were actively trying to get her back. And the frog doctor's explanation does not indicate that lollipops have all of sudden stopped working. So there is no way to make excuse for scenarists along the lines with "the blond girl passed out was a sign that she is about to die".)

Also, in just exact moment when the flower girl decided to check participants of the scientific conference, the wind girl was not only happen to be in the same place, but also happen to accidentally look from afar on the screen and recognize one of the evil scientists she saw earlier.

And it took a day for the flower girl to check whether the evil scientist works (even though it takes seconds). All for the sake of insertion of late night scenes between the main heroine and the lesbian girl.

I wish I could add "facepalm" emoticon at the end of each of those paragraphs, but it would be overboard.]

The seams of the patched scenario are so glaring that there is no way for me to be submerged into the world of this project; such a low class work.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:08 am; edited 7 times in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
And yet you keep trying.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Just four more episodes left; it is too late to stop watching it. If scenarists would do better work than they did, then this anime could be very good or even excellent; too bad my hopes mostly were in vain.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
And yet you keep trying.

Some people have a problem with perspective and how to assess relevance. Seeing these posts are like going to an opera with someone who is obsessing on the ugly color of the drapes behind the 2nd tier box seats when you're sitting in the orchestra section and the soprano is magnificent. So based on the theater's poor fabric choice they think the whole opera is worthless.

Is it talent or is it OCD? You decide.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Not applies to me, because I rated as "Good" even the first season of the series, which was worse than this in terms of scenario. This is because I have reasonable sense of perspective and relevance and understand that scenario's weaknesses are not the only thing that whole project should be assessed for. My OCD (which, alas, does exist) includes obsessive compulsion not to rate projects overall solely on aspects that most annoy me personally. This is the way I trick my OCD to make overall conclusions on anime that turn out to be quite fair.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
The point is I have no tolerance to such things

I want to say that we already got your point, but then people will probably criticize me for another cop out. Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Last few episodes make no sense because authors were too lazy and/or too stupid with coming up with sensible way to develop the story: little blond girl spoiler[survives by sucking lollipops, which neutralize the toxins that are byproduct of her artificial body. She has many lollipops, and she sucks it as she always did.

Yet, out of the blue and without reason, she passes out on the outside and brought to the hospital -- only for the frog doctor to disclose her nature to the main heroine. I am not sure that authors could come up with any more lame, unbelievable way to move the story forward.

(And the blond girl was definitely not going to die due to expected short life span as her creators were actively trying to get her back. And the frog doctor's explanation does not indicate that lollipops have all of sudden stopped working. So there is no way to make excuse for scenarists along the lines with "the blond girl passed out was a sign that she is about to die".)

Could it be that reasonably mature girls who are responsible for their own meals would spoiler[wean a little girl off from constantly eating candy without thinking it was a big deal? All they needed was to distract Febri so she would forget to take her medicine]. But surely that sounds impossible for a child to forget to do that, right?

MaxSouth wrote:
Also, in just exact moment when the flower girl decided to check participants of the scientific conference, the wind girl was not only happen to be in the same place, but also happen to accidentally look from afar on the screen and recognize one of the evil scientists she saw earlier.

And it took a day for the flower girl to check whether the evil scientist works (even though it takes seconds). All for the sake of insertion of late night scenes between the main heroine and the lesbian girl.]

The coincidence is not too impossible, and I would think that she would have wanted to spoiler[check while Kongou was there. Not to mention an anime is not necessarily always an entirely accurate portrayal of what it happening, would you want to see the 10s of minutes that they would probably actually talk about not much, or say all the other stuff Uiharu checked]. An anime is in time restraints. She seemed to be spoiler[going through multiple databases, so finding information on him could have taken a while, possibly getting past security].

Lets just be happy that hacking did not involve two idiots on one keyboard.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
Heh, figures this was all spoiler[Gensei's] fault!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote
It is amusing because in a way the closer of episode 23 is sort of action shonen/modern combat magical girl cliché as all hell, yet it is something I eat all up because it was executed perfectly for the context.

The overly optimistic closer is a great late season answer to the Accelerator vs Railgun cliff hanger ending from earlier in the season, I am more than looking forward to the next episode.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Railgun S Episode 23

spoiler[So STUDY have long resented that espers got the fame and recognition while intellectuals like Aritomi are ignored. And the trigger that made them proceed project Chemicaloid was none other than Gensei himself, who belittled STUDY's ideas as a "Summer Science project".

With Anti-Skills unable to help them fight against STUDY's mech army and their plan to show the world that science not birthright creates espers, Team Railgun must face them themselves as they also rescue Shinobu, Janie and get the neutralizer data.

The finale is going to be action packed. And i hope Team ITEM gets involved since Team Railgun can't fight all of those mechs themselves.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[At this late in the original story work, I think that introducing Mental Out at the beginning of the season might have been contextually out of place unless there is some last minute pull to tie her as some sort of closer to the story (which at this point would STILL seem slightly out of place due to lack of seasonal character development).]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, at this late in the game she probably won't do anything. I dunno why they bothered to have her show up, but it might have something to do with her having a major role in the novel released at the time.

If they wanted to give her a popularity boost, it sure as hell worked. After her brief appearence the amount of hentai of her exploded.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Although I thought this arc started off rather weak, I have been very satisfied with how it's gone in its middle and later stages, and episode 23 only further that impression. I've said before that the two major appeals of Railgun are what Mikoto can do as an action figure and the interactions between the girls. Here the third element is most strongly in play: what the girls can do when working together as a group. I also love that we're seeing some definitive character growth, too. That makes this one of the most ambitious filler arcs I've seen in quite some times, and one of the best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Though I guess it doesn't quite fit with Index II, since during the Remnant arc Mikoto still goes it alone (until Touma meddles, of course).
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 23
I wonder if ITEM will reappear again in the finale. Judging by the end of this episode, the girls are going to take on those robots.

Febri is adorable as usual especially in that new dress of her's too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 69 of 72