• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Scientific Railgun (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
@ MaxSouth

For starters she is 14, she does not exactly think rationally that she is not really to blame, only that it was her actions that were involved in it happening, maybe that she even made herself a Lvl 5.

She was split between having to take responsibility, and that she did not really want to die. So she fell back in other emotions, like her rivalry with Touma, but this was also connected to some random cuts, that she wanted to actually be saved by a hero.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote
Nayu: Some people can not come up with counter arguments against concrete and detailed arguments, hence they turn to personal attacks. To not agree is one thing, but character attacks are another.

In episode #16, the magic-cancelling guy is shown to spoiler[have zombi-action. According to the setting, he is regular guy, and his magic-cancelling power is his only talent. So him, whilte being basically dead, starting miraculously to act as alive and strong, crushing Accelerator's hand, is cheesy nonsense. However typical it is for many mediocre anime, it does not make it right.]

This was unnecessary; authors could have come up with very smart and intricate combo battle, where they would use this guy's magic cancelling power in a one time trick to defeat spoiler[Accelerator, by cancelling his power and, at the same time, main heroine striking him with a lightning.]

But, alas, all we got is another spoiler[nonsensical willpower fight. And they made Accelerator stupid along the way, because it was obvious almost immediately that any serious distant attack would kill magic-cancelling guy. Yet Accelerator is shown wanting to attack him personally -- only to be defeated after each of such attacks. ]

Too convenient for weak writing.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
This was unnecessary; authors could have come up with very smart and intricate combo battle, where they would use this guy's magic cancelling power in a one time trick to defeat spoiler[Accelerator, by cancelling his power and, at the same time, main heroine striking him with a lightning.]

But, alas, all we got is another spoiler[nonsensical willpower fight. And they made Accelerator stupid along the way, because it was obvious almost immediately that any serious distant attack would kill magic-cancelling guy. Yet Accelerator is shown wanting to attack him personally -- only to be defeated after each of such attacks. ]

Ahhhh. I suppose you were not even listening to the story that spoiler[Mikoto could not fight, if she fought it would ruin what they were planning to do as Railgun beating Accelerator was supposedly a possible prediction. Her beating him would not stop the experiments, but a level 0 would make the entire experiment look wrong].

Accelerator really started to spoiler[lose it in the battle if you did not notice. He had been tricked into this experiment, and told that the clones were not humans, something he was making himself believe so that he would not feel the guilt. But suddenly he had someone come up to him and tell him that they are people]. Now Accelerator has pretty much only ever spoiler[used his powers for defence, but facing what he was up against started to push him so that he began taking him on up close, he was not thinking that he could win at a distance he wanted to beat what he was saying. Finally cultivating by totally losing it in trying to blow up the area].
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 am Reply with quote
I think it's best we ignore MaxSouth's since most of what this user saying completely doesn't make sense no matter how many times we explained to this user who can seem to stop nitpicking every, single, thing and/or follow the Mystery Science Theater 3000 mantra "Repeat to yourself, 'It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Starting now, i gonna pretend the user in question is not there and think of this R Kelly song.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist: your post shows that you are another one who is incapable of argument, and hence you turn to discussion of personally of your opponent. This is violation of this board rules, by the way. So you better either argue, or refrain from mentioning me. Notice that however strongly I disagree with anyone, I only reply with counter-arguments.

DuskyPredator: I paid attention to the story, which was that spoiler[if calculations are wrong in anything, the experiment will be stopped.

So whether Accelerated gets beaten by either Level-0 magic-cancelling guy or the main heroine or both of them in combo, the calculations will be shown as wrong.

For the case if experiments would not stop anyway, despite calculations shown to wrong, Accelerator had to killed during the same combo attack. By the way, it can be solo attack by magic-cancelling guy (which is way harder, buy theoretically possible; he would need to strange Accelerator or to break his neck or to kill him with a knife). I did not offer this variant because the main heroine would be out of action; plus, lightning strike is more flashy for the show.

There is no other Level-5 whom they could use to level up, so with Accelerator's death experiments would be stopped for sure.]

Last edited by MaxSouth on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
No Max, it really isn't us. It's you man.

I present you the following visual representation of how it is to deal with you.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The clones were still created from her DNA and wouldn't exist without her, so of course she cares about them and feels responsible for them. I see nothing strange or that's even remotely a stretch about that.

I don't see a problem with her caring or feeling responsible for the clones. I don't see a problem with her feeling bad or even depressed about what's happened to them. Feeling guilty or blaming herself for their creation? That's a different thing for me. I've seen this before in manga and anime where the hero/heroine blames themselves (or sometimes others) and there's a lot of teeth gnashing or self torture. When really the person our MC should be blaming is the "bad guys". Now if she made a stupid decision when she was older or was more complicit in some way, yea then the guilt would feel less fabricated for me. Perhaps that aspect is a little too shounen for my tastes, even though its par for the course. Ultimately, its a minor issue as this type of show is purely light entertainment for me.

@MaxSouth: I think you are looking at this too deeply. The show isn't supposed to be the next Citizen Kane and it doesn't pretend to be either. Its light entertainment that you just need to sit back and go along for the ride.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
DuskyPredator: I paid attention to the story, which was that spoiler[if calculations are wrong in anything, the experiment will be stopped.

So whether Accelerated gets beaten by either Level-0 magic-cancelling guy or the main heroine or both of them in combo, the calculations will be shown as wrong.

For the case if experiments would not stop anyway, despite calculations shown to wrong, Accelerator had to killed during the same combo attack. By the way, it can be solo attack by magic-cancelling guy (which is way harder, buy theoretically possible; he would need to strange Accelerator or to break his neck or to kill him with a knife). I did not offer this variant because the main heroine would be out of action; plus, lightning strike is more flashy for the show.

There is no other Level-5 whom they could use to level up, so with Accelerator's death experiments would be stopped for sure.]

Except that is wrong. I am quit sure the show mentioned that Railgun spoiler[beating Accelerator was within the margin of error for the calculations, while him being beaten by a level 0 would prove problems in the calculations]. Mikoto was expected to spoiler[lose within a hundred or so moves, but her plan was to lose in the first turn, which would prove there was a problem in the calculations]. Of course there was always the choice that they could try to spoiler[kill Accelerator, but Touma said that he did not want anyone else to die].
OAS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:58 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

In response to the 'combo attack', Misaka and the Clones disrupted Accel's plasma business and let Touma finish the job. That's pretty combo-like if not as intricate as you'd like it to be.

And they've never made Accelerator out to be very 'smart' since he's grown fat off of butchering Sisters left and right in more and more sadistic ways, nor has he put any effort into fighting anybody.

Sure, he flings steel railings at Touma which are effective to an extent but he's far more interested in turning him into a bloody splatter.

(Some spoilers up ahead but the Index anime has covered a lot of it so whatever)

Think about him for a second. He's never been in a real fight in his entire life, nor has he ever had to lift a finger to do anything really because all he has to count on reflection to maim his opponent. When Touma corners him he feels PAIN for the first time in his life and he doesn't even know what to do other than claw at him because yes, he's an idiot and has no idea how to fight and is more concerned with instinctively ripping his opponent to shreds up close than doing it efficiently. He's also a scrawny under-developed, pre-pubescent albino kid. All of his sadistic toying with blood flow and generating plasma are ridiculously flashy and don't ever get the job done properly. Arguably, he's still as idiotic as a fighter spoiler[even after getting brain damage given his fights with Kihara Amata, since he still goes with the same mindset of trying to get into close range to kill him like he did with Touma despite knowing well how he could counter his power. The novels don't give specific mention of him learning to use just the right amount of force to win his fights until he's well settled into GROUP.]

Just some things to think about I guess.

spoiler[EDIT: And I guess I should add that regardless of what would have or would have not happened, the experiments were supposed to end near the ten thousandth clone.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:14 am Reply with quote
Contraire to Monsieur Key's contention that I'm not following this one ... I am! I did get a little behind, though. Caught up now (except for the special).

Aw, Febri is too adorable. I wonder what her special ability is ... beyond emitting dangerous levels of kawaii.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Aw, Febri is too adorable. I wonder what her special ability is ... beyond emitting dangerous levels of kawaii.

eating mystery flavored lollipops?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Nayu: Some people can not come up with counter arguments against concrete and detailed arguments, hence they turn to personal attacks. To not agree is one thing, but character attacks are another.

That wasn't a character attack. That was pointing out that you're tossing out complaints without apparently paying attention to counter-arguments to your complaints.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:04 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 20

Shock! Febri spoiler[is apparently not human]! Lol joke, I already figured that out, and that spoiler[she needs her lollipops to live].

Favourite character of the episode was spoiler[Kongou], I really like how she has become an active character rather than how she was an arrogant victim earlier on. Her dedication to her friends is admirable, you can't help but feel good for her when she was so happy.

Must find out why spoiler[Shinobu is doing what she is], although it was only just official spoiler[it was her], it was obvious.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
It's not that I don't like this arc, but damn, did they really have to come up with one that has so many parallels to the Sisters Arc? Once again, we have a bunch of slimy scientists (granted, student ones this time) who are conducting experiments on Level 5s and once again Misaka is in the position of protecting a "little sister" who isn't spoiler[human.]

Oh well, at least the friends are involved this time.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 20.

spoiler[So Febri is not human but something artificial. And STUDY seems to have the ability to activate and control sentry bots and mechs without batteries or pilots.

And Kongou to the rescue!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 65 of 72