• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Doin' a Daryl Roll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
You guys are all very kind; I do want to point out that we are of course always interested in constructive, real criticism or suggestions of how the show could be better or different or whatever.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm generally more than willing to give constructive criticism (perhaps sometimes a little too willing) but I really can't find much to criticize. You guys are doing just a fabulous job.
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:40 am Reply with quote
When I noticed the title of this episode of ANNCast, I thought of the equation: Daryl Surat (funny) + Zac Bertschy (funny) = hilarious show. Unfortunately the result wasn't as good as expected. The same thing happened on the show with Mike Toole. Despite having free range to criticize anything they feel like, the biggest restriction to ANNCast is time. Ever since the first installment, you can notice how Zac tries really hard to avoid the show from getting too long. I may be completely wrong about this, but as a result I feel that not only Zac and Justin feel sort of pressured, the guests feel this too. My suggestion to solve this problem is to handle Twitter questions differently. Listener questions feel like one of the things Zac hates the most: pandering. People will probably want to kill me for this, but it also feels like the interviewer is being lazy. Whenever there are guests, the time spent on the complete randomness of the subjects being approached at the end of every show could be used much better. It would be much better if Zac picked questions that can fit in to the route he wants to go and subtly announce the listener who sent it during the interview. Whenever there are no guests and it's just Justin, Zac, and Bamboo; just keep the way it is now.

Interesting that Zac liked Sasameki Koto. Then he might want to watch other stuff from the same director. There is Ninja Cadets and... oh boy, Kodomo no Jikan!
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I think Zac just makes fun of all the people we want to make fun of, but don't have the voice or platform to do so.

ha so I was about to dive in to chicks on anime and they mentioned the yaoi bin and it reminded me what I wanted to comment about from the podcast.

10,000 points!! noticing and for making fun of that obnoxious 30 something guy at the yaoi table. When I went by there he was yelling his "come and get your yaoi!" "I bet you like boys in love, what's type?!" to two army guys who were all decked out in their gear. I desperately wanted one of them to beat him down. I was just like wow. really? this is happening right now?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
You know, I'm generally more than willing to give constructive criticism (perhaps sometimes a little too willing) but I really can't find much to criticize. You guys are doing just a fabulous job.

I'll second this. And I prefer Zac trying to keep on-topic, since listening to a 45-60 minute podcast is hard enough for my short attention span, a much longer one would probably lose me. I like it short and sweet, and Zac and Justin do just that. Keep up the great work, guys. Smile
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I'll second this. And I prefer Zac trying to keep on-topic, since listening to a 45-60 minute podcast is hard enough for my short attention span, a much longer one would probably lose me. I like it short and sweet, and Zac and Justin do just that. Keep up the great work, guys. Smile

Well, as long as things are kept interesting I have no problem listening to longer podcasts, heck I've enjoyed everything the AWO has done (When can we expect a review of Shin Mazinger Z in AWO?)

Last edited by Vicserr on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
just keep the way it is now.

And ultimately this is what I'm going to do for now. Reading your suggestions, it felt like you're trying to 'fix' something neither I nor, it appears, the majority of my listeners feel is broken.

I invited Daryl and Mike on to talk about things they cared about and they both showed up ready to be pretty sincere about it. To be honest I was expecting more joking around myself, but I think we got two good shows out of it.

As for the show being longer, I think we're right in the sweet spot for now. Also, it makes editing the show manageable - we record on either Wednesday or Thursday, and there is no way I'd be able to turn around a weekly 2-2.5 hour show for you guys with the speed I am able to turn around 45 minutes. Not only that, I firmly believe 45 minutes of Justin and I jabbering on once a week is more than enough.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree, the show is well balanced as it is. I appreciate the hitting several topics at medium depth in the earlier parts, giving the guest a good amount of time, then rapid firing the twitter responses at the end. And I can't see myself being able to listen to one of these for 2 hours anyway unless it's really focused and in depth on a specific area of my interest.

Which brings me to a suggestion: As time goes on, you might consider occasional special editions focusing on a specific theme.

I would be interested in a show themed around the beginnings of modern anime, the initial 80's-90's OVA period, for instance. Or dedicated to a specific creator or genealogical line of creators maybe, with an expert guest (that being in addition to Justin, of course). Doesn't have to get all serious, but just more depth on a specific subject, or genre maybe. But that example is purely personal interest.

And let's hopefully not slight Bamboo's occasional supporting role in future scheduling efforts... Wink
dizzon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
As for the show being longer, I think we're right in the sweet spot for now.

Agreed. Right now the cast is short enough that if I see it posted on the main page I can find about 45 minutes in the evening to listen, any longer and I will have to treat ANNCast like AWO, which is to try and plan a time to listen at some future date, but not having any idea when that would be. I already have an AWO backlog, I would hate to have an ANNCast backlog....Who would I give priority to? Wink
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

And ultimately this is what I'm going to do for now. Reading your suggestions, it felt like you're trying to 'fix' something neither I nor, it appears, the majority of my listeners feel is broken.

I invited Daryl and Mike on to talk about things they cared about and they both showed up ready to be pretty sincere about it. To be honest I was expecting more joking around myself, but I think we got two good shows out of it.

As for the show being longer, I think we're right in the sweet spot for now. Also, it makes editing the show manageable - we record on either Wednesday or Thursday, and there is no way I'd be able to turn around a weekly 2-2.5 hour show for you guys with the speed I am able to turn around 45 minutes. Not only that, I firmly believe 45 minutes of Justin and I jabbering on once a week is more than enough.

Yeah you did. Right before you cut Darryl off and Justin was getting bored my eyes started crossing lol. so yeah your timing is perfect.
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
As for the show being longer, I think we're right in the sweet spot for now.

I'd just like to point out that despite complaining about time, my suggestion didn't involve making the show any longer.

My favorite ANN interview is still Interview with the Fansubber that Zac did back in 2008. That's why I believe the show hasn't reached it's true potential.

I'd dare say that the best suggestions and constructive criticism probably won't come from the listeners (especially if they just listen to this one), but from other podcasters.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently listening to the show as I write this. Fabulous show, I'm rolling with laughter during some parts. The guest is super, a bit overbearing and kind of stole the mic but he's part of the humor that ensues with some comments. Nothing wrong, just good rapport between the hosts and the guest. I am not much of a podcast listener, but I think it's the only one at the moment that I routinely enjoy. The RightStuf podcast is too infomercialy, other podcasts are too long and I don't have time to listen to many. ANNCast is more like a reality show with anime fans, just ones that are involved with the industry. The guest is smart. He is a shounen fan I am not, but I've always liked Fist of the North Star. Maybe even though I like more realistic martial arts in shows, the campy, uber-technique fighting along with drama and an epic, adventure plot just really did it for me.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Sirenlove wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
I think Zac just makes fun of all the people we want to make fun of, but don't have the voice or platform to do so.

ha so I was about to dive in to chicks on anime and they mentioned the yaoi bin and it reminded me what I wanted to comment about from the podcast.

10,000 points!! noticing and for making fun of that obnoxious 30 something guy at the yaoi table. When I went by there he was yelling his "come and get your yaoi!" "I bet you like boys in love, what's type?!" to two army guys who were all decked out in their gear. I desperately wanted one of them to beat him down. I was just like wow. really? this is happening right now?

I was at Anime North 2009 and had to deal with this twunt while I was shopping across the aisle from him. He did it every five goddamn minutes or so--no kidding. Finally, I had to snap--and knew exactly where to aim it. I walked right up to him, and, right when he started doing it yet again, I screamed "SHUUT!! YOOUR!! CKFUIIING!! FAAAAAAAACE!!!!" at top pitch and volume right at him, point blank. He stopped bellowing. A nearby dealer actually applauded. Yaoi Wanker didn't even flinch, and offered me a chair in case I was having an aneurysm (which I declined), then tried to sell me a yaoi paddle (which I told him that most dealers would love to shove up his ass--sideways). An AN security staffer came and took my name down off my con badge, but YW told him things were cool and I wasn't ejected. Later, I was told by the surrounding dealers that my little stunt actually got him to stop doing that for the rest of Saturday. I'm also hearing about other cons specifically adding to the dealer's room contract with this shop that he is prohibited from bellowing. Here's hoping Anime North will do that next year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5