• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Darker Than Black: Meteor of the Gemini (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Out of all your doubts this is the only one I feel like I could clear up:
Quote:
I don't know quite what to say about Shion, yet...spoiler[is his power telepathy, then?]

Let's think of him as Hei. spoiler[We know that Hei's(Bai's) powers are not just electricity, and that it's just a tip of his powers. The same would be for her brother. I'm sure his power should be one of the most importants during this season. Besides, sitting down for 2 years is the biggest remuneration so far, clearly his powers wouldn't be any smaller.]
arachneia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
About Hei's overeating, I think that's just a gag, or a way to throw people off into assuming that it's his remuneration. spoiler[He eats way more than for two people anyway.]
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Let's think of him as Hei. spoiler[We know that Hei's(Bai's) powers are not just electricity, and that it's just a tip of his powers. The same would be for her brother. I'm sure his power should be one of the most importants during this season. Besides, sitting down for 2 years is the biggest remuneration so far, clearly his powers wouldn't be any smaller.]

Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case, actually. But it would seem that spoiler[telepathy is one of the applications of his power. Makes me wonder what the full extent of his power might be, as well as if we'll ever see any more of Hei's powers beyond electricity.]

And yeah, I can see Hei's overeating just being a gag, I'd just always assumed it was his obeisance, heh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

rainbowcourage wrote:
I'm actually not surprised Hei's gone kind of nuts...isn't his remuneration feeling emotion? That's an endless cycle of killing heartlessly and then feeling guilt. Ugh. Episode 1 was awesome.

spoiler[Hei doesn't have a remuneration, since his powers are his sister's. His sister is inside him, she's the one paying for the contract, and her remuneration is to sleep.]

Thanks, my memory was a little fuzzy plus I didn't totally get the ending to last season spoiler[I thought Bai was dead of caught in the Gate and that the whole "inside Hei" thing was metaphorical...]

On Mao, spoiler[just a theory but I think he may have swapped out of Pecha. After Suou gets away in episode 2 there's a scene with a cat on the wall with glowing eyes staring at Suou and Pecha. Honestly, I can't see Mao as anything other than a cat.

As for Yin, I guess we'll have to see. She's probably not dead, she might be stuck in some kind of transitory state...what if they brought her back with emotions? That would be kind of awesome.]
arachneia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
On Mao, spoiler[just a theory but I think he may have swapped out of Pecha. After Suou gets away in episode 2 there's a scene with a cat on the wall with glowing eyes staring at Suou and Pecha. Honestly, I can't see Mao as anything other than a cat.

As for Yin, I guess we'll have to see. She's probably not dead, she might be stuck in some kind of transitory state...what if they brought her back with emotions? That would be kind of awesome.]

spoiler[I thought Mao swapped with Pecha in episode 1, which would explain why the cat's body was there with Hei. Then he was in Pecha's body until he found another cat to inhabit.]
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't resist skimming the raw lol.

Spoilers for Ep.3

spoiler[ And there we go. Going beyond the hints of Mao in the previous two episodes and the big hint of the voice last episode, Mao's back in action with his first on-screen dialogue indeed in Pecha. Smile As rainbowcourage said too, I'm still going to miss that awesome cat and the variety of expressions they could do with it, Pecha's got big shoes to fill. Hei's been kicking all sorts of ass already and it's great to finally see two of the old team back working together in the open and Suou's shaping up rather interestingly and despite what happened to April at least for now July's tagging along with some good Yin-like support for Suou's shots there.

It really does kind of end up a rather smart, as is a great trademark of DTB, way of getting a natural rapport between Mao and Suou in a clever fluid way. I guess they'll get their first non-combat-situation interaction next time now that she knows lol.]

Episode 3 spoilers over.

Now to wait for the subs.

rainbowcourage wrote:
spoiler[As for Yin, I guess we'll have to see. She's probably not dead, she might be stuck in some kind of transitory state...what if they brought her back with emotions? That would be kind of awesome.]

spoiler[ Yeah rainbowcourage, sadly it looks like it's going to be a while before we find out about Yin, maybe a little too similar since they did that with Hei's sister last season but since it's got all of us wanting to know I suppose the mystery is a successful hook, so it's probably fulfilled it's cruel cruel goal if they really do leave that for much later and are loving our pain.]
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:
On Mao, spoiler[just a theory but I think he may have swapped out of Pecha. After Suou gets away in episode 2 there's a scene with a cat on the wall with glowing eyes staring at Suou and Pecha. Honestly, I can't see Mao as anything other than a cat.]

spoiler[I thought Mao swapped with Pecha in episode 1, which would explain why the cat's body was there with Hei. Then he was in Pecha's body until he found another cat to inhabit.]

That's exactly what I meant, I just thought we'd come to a consensus about the spoiler[Mao/Pecha swap in episode 1. I posit that Mao switched out of Pecha and will be back in full cat form soon. ]

DangerMouse wrote:

spoiler[Mao's back in action with his first on-screen dialogue indeed in Pecha...I'm still going to miss that awesome cat and the variety of expressions they could do with it, Pecha's got big shoes to fill. ]

Honestly, Pecha's too cute for spoiler[Mao's cynicism, and, well, cattiness. They're bringing him back.]

Last edited by rainbowcourage on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Rarrr! 2 words spoiled my episode 3!
Be careful when you post about an episode that ain't out fansubed yet. Since I refuse to watch it raw. But no worries, it's not like I'm angry or anything. spoiler[Mao's return] was bound to happen sooner or later. Razz

Last edited by egoist on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
I thought I was explicit enough saying it twice. Sad
Anyway, I don't usually watch raws either.

rainbowcourage wrote:
Honestly, Pecha's too cute for spoiler[Mao's cynicism, and, well, cattiness. They're bringing him back.]

spoiler[LOL, yeah that's probably true isn't it. Really?]
wm4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
Watched episode 3. Too many information were packed together, the pace was a little too fast,
and some scenes were done badly. It is not something one may easily consume this week,
but information is ensured, and you definitely won't miss next week.

We are then reminded who being the protagonist. Suou. spoiler[She would show us the initial ability
similar to tracing in Fate/stay night, crafting a PTRD-41 (using the materials
from the gates, I guessed. I think she is also responsible for Shion's abnormal right eye.)
From that point, it is safe to assume that Suou is a contractor, like her brother. I think it is
not just limited to weapons. This is an awesome ability for a contractor ]
spoiler[(my theory:
if not Suou being the Heaven's gate herself.) ]

spoiler[On the other hand, Tania did not acknowledge the existence of the other of the twins, Shion,
suspected that Suou was the only child her parents had. The reason the parents hiding
the fact (of the twins) was unknown (but, unlike Tania, I think that it was Shion being
the only child, if her theory even held true)]

spoiler[The secret lady, Madam Odellie, referred Shion as Izanagi. (I am not happy with this.
Oh man, that is Japanese mythology again. When will they stop putting Japanese gods
into just every anime in the world? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad)]

It seems that Yin has to face a problem alonespoiler[ when Hei is going to kill her]. I am quite happy
to see Yin not being another stupid romantic role with another character, unless the director
finally favor Yin's fans and have Hei and Yin together survived.
arachneia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I'm more sick of the constant stupid red herrings, or the fact that people are actually falling for them. First it was "Omigod, Hei's evil!!1111" then it was Yin apparently being dead for no good reason, and now it's people thinking that Hei actually wants to kill Yin based on the completely ambiguous "her" and utterly ignoring the one fact that they've been clubbing us over the head with - that Hei is miserable without Yin.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
wm4 wrote:
spoiler[crafting a PTRD-41]

I haven't been following this series but I saw a motion GIF at a Japanese blog. Glad to see there are "comrades" identifying this nice little toy. Let's see if we'll get a spoiler[Lahti L-39 "Norsupyssy"] next time. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
I thought I was explicit enough saying it twice. Sad

That wasn't for you.

__

Episode 3 was great; action filled, a lot of blood, and a flux of info, which is one of the things I enjoy the most. spoiler[Hei's incapability of using his sister's power; it wasn't so hard to notice how the tried to use his powers a few times.
July's help during a time of need. Is he following any organisation's orders? Would she be able to shoot that well without his help?
Hei's become our alcoholic hero. Who would expect that after seeing season one's ending? He had so much motivation. Just remember the scene where all the contractors appeared during the Hell's Gate event. Whatever happened, it was drastic.
]
I don't care whatever is considered a flaw in this anime. After watching episode 3 I'm sure this is my top series. However, I don't care about your opinion regarding my taste.Anime smile + sweatdrop
But damn, I'm so tired I can't even think any more. Good night, my sweet Amber.

Last edited by egoist on Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Episode 3 was great; ...spoiler[July's help during a time of need. Would she be able to shoot that well without his help? I don't think so.]

That well? spoiler[She missed all three targets. Also, I don't think he was really aiming her, he was just telling her where the targets were.]

Hmm, so Suou spoiler[is a bit unusual for a contractor as well. She still displays her humanity when not in that trance, and her hesitation to kill Tanya indicates it is still present even then.]
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
Even so, they still were good shots.
spoiler[Suou's case reminds me of Mai Kashiwagi(the moratorium who eventually reverted to a contractor). Clearly, that isn't the case. I believe the old concept of contractors should be dead by now. I believe season 1 made it clear that contractors aren't completely emotion void.
__
But I guess there's no need to point out that she became a contractor thanks to Hei's contractor powers, right? I don't think anyone said that yet, so just to make sure I'm right.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 23