• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kobato. - series discussion.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Ah! I think I'll never tire of Kobato's sweetness.
I see, Chobits was involved during this episode. But the two characters that appeared when the episode was about to end also seemed like they came from another Clamp's crossover, or were they part of Kobato.'s actual plot? Well, I don't read a lot of manga, so things like these get a little obscure.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
(does Mihara relate to something?)

In Chobits, her husband is Ichiro Mihara from Angelic Layer, so apparently she took his family name in Kobato (or maybe she switched back to her maiden name in Chobits after he died).

egoist wrote:
Ah! I think I'll never tire of Kobato's sweetness.
I see, Chobits was involved during this episode. But the two characters that appeared when the episode was about to end also seemed like they came from another Clamp's crossover, or were they part of Kobato.'s actual plot? Well, I don't read a lot of manga, so things like these get a little obscure.

As pparker already pointed out, they are from Wish.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
As pparker already pointed out, they are from Wish.

Aha! I knew I saw them somewhere. But, crossover between manga and anime? Sounds like a storm is coming.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
In Chobits, her husband is Ichiro Mihara from Angelic Layer, so apparently she took his family name in Kobato

Doh... thanks. I've never been able to finish Angelic Layer for some reason, but I knew about the connection and should have thought to look that up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
The Chobits references were almost too heavy, I started to pick something up with the pastery chef, schoolgirl, teacher and then the spoiler[dorm lady who's apartment looks practicly identicle to Chobits. The room looked very similar to Hideki's, then her twin daughters both with "Chi" in their name and look too similar to Chi to not be on purpose.]

Koboto's inocense is kind of scary, she didn't entirely understand the situation, acted, could have made it worse, but everything turned out fine.

Blood- you should watch Chobits, it changes over the course of the series and explores a bunch of issues present already or will climax in the not to distant future. It changed my mind that there could be true feelings between a human and robot, though it is also objectional in critisizing humans for being with machines more then people.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or did Kobato's voice become twice as high in episode 3? I never thought I'd find Kana Hanazawa annoying, but the high-pitchedness kinda got to me this episode.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The Chobits references were almost too heavy, I started to pick something up with the pastery chef, schoolgirl, teacher and then the spoiler[dorm lady who's apartment looks practicly identicle to Chobits. The room looked very similar to Hideki's, then her twin daughters both with "Chi" in their name and look too similar to Chi to not be on purpose.]

And the good ol' Piffle Princess! If CLAMP opened a store of the same name it would be crazy popular.

Kobato not eating spoiler[is giving me a Wish angel vibe, I'm waiting for milk to confirm it.] Its really weird to see a version ofspoiler[ Chi ]unsexualized... they are actually pretty cute. Am I the only one holding out for a Clover cross over that is not Ora from Tsubasa. spoiler[I mean they didn't even sing Ora' song!]
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
ep 03

Apparently, no one is hiding spoilers, but just in case... spoiler[I loved it when Kobato arrived at her apartment building. I should have known instantly from the outside, and in fact recall it being mentioned somewhere, but didn't realize where she was until they met Chitose (does Mihara relate to something?). The detail of her room was so nostalgic, too. Then to have "Chi" and "Freya" show up, that was icing on the cake that I didn't really expect.]

I squealed like a 5-year-old-girl when that happened, thus disturbing the sleeping puppy and kitty and annoying the heck outta my boyfriend who was trying to play some video game and talk in Vent. Anime smile

I'm still mad at CLAMP for TRC and was really hesitant about watching Kobato. But it is pretty delightful.

Just for clarification - Kobato is primarily illustrated by Mokona?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
Kobato is primarily illustrated by Mokona?

I got curious about this in my insomnia... This first image is attributed to Mokona, though only via thread comment on the site (the kimono being the primary clue): http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/281027 Large version accessible: http://moe.imouto.org/post/show/95320/clamp-hanato_kobato-ioryogi-kimono-kobato

This one looks similar in style, and I would assume is also Mokona if the first one is: http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/260886 But the early manga covers are in styles more like the anime, as are the actual manga drawings. I suspect as usual all the artists in CLAMP are contributing their own renditions for cover images and such, and I'm certainly no expert able to recognize their individual styles.

One site lists her separately as "the artist" for the manga, crediting CLAMP as well, but it's unofficial (and the site is unmentionable here). There's a site focused on the Kobato anime, which might lead to hardcore fans who know the answer: http://chibiyuuto.livejournal.com/ I had to stop because I could feel myself getting sucked into the CLAMP universe again. Too many dimensions.... Wink

But since we are talking about the anime, not the manga, the character designs for the anime weren't done by CLAMP anyway. The designer did mention wanting to be very true to the original designs, specifically mentioning the eyes, and Kobato certainly closely resembles her manga renderings.

Just in general, too, I got sucked into reading the first 9 chapters of the manga, which cover all the exams leading up to Kobato's receiving her bottle (not all animated). I'm even more excited about this anime now, from both the manga itself and how well it's being animated.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks so much! Anime smile

I was just wondering this because it seems like whenever I read that Mokona primarily did the art or the story or whatever, it seems like the series is better for some reasons.

Meh, neither here nor there I guess. Besides, that would end up getting heavily into manga stuff and this is not the board for that. -_-;

I, too, am afraid of being sucked in by CLAMP. They did the first anime I ever watched and is still my favorite (by far) - Card Captor Sakura. I also liked X (TV) a lot (once I started ignoring the recaps), Miyukichan in Wonderland, Magic Knight Rayearth, Chobits and Angelic Layer. I'm still pretty mad at them for destroying Tsubasa. I think, lately, they've been reaching a little too far and they need to reel themselves back in a little. Hopefully, Kobato will offer something great for fans along with a comprehensive story and some good fan service.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode Four

Ah, so that's what those sickeningly cute bunnies are; messengers from heaven. Go figure.

So Kobato has to heal one broken heart every three to four days, huh? That's going to be insanely hard. I mean, how easy is it to track down people who need help and then help them? Not easy at all, and she has her work cut out for her.

I was surprised that Kobato did not get another "candy" this episode. While she didn't heal someone's broken heart she did stop Kohaku from crying. As an aside, is Kohaku based on a character from another one of CLAMP's previous works?

Not a bad episode; the humour is still there and the world that is depicted has been expanded somewhat. It isn't a top tier show, but I am enjoying it nonetheless.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
is Kohaku based on a character from another one of CLAMP's previous works?

Yeah, if you read the earlier threads, you get all the crossover references so far. The bunnies, too. Kobato didn't get a candy because of what Kohaku is.

Agree, not a bad episode. Continuing to like this series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Wow, it's been a while since we've had a chance to see a new Kobato episode. Anyway, I shamelessly admit this one spoiler[choked me up. The death of a beloved family member at the end of last year has left me very vulnerable to any situation dealing with loss, which anime is replete with. I thought Mori's story was beautifully handled and very poignant.]
swienke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just finished watching episode 5, and I have to say that I think it's definitely the best episode we've had so far.

It started off pretty much like normal, but the spoiler[appearance of the thugs at the nursery was an unexpectedly dark touch(well, dark by Kobato standards). It also gave Kobato a chance to show a little more spine than she normally does, when she stepped in between Sayaka and the loan shark]. Since one of my main complaints with the show so far has been Kobato's status as something of a push-over whenever she's confronted with someone a little gruffer or harsher than she expects, I found this to be a very welcome development and the possible beginning of some important character development on her part.

The other part of the story was equally impressive: the story of the old man spoiler[ and his regrets over not having spent enough time with his lover before she died (well, I assume she died, they didn't say it explicitly but I kind of think he wouldn't be moping around if she were still alive) and not having been able to see the fireflies with her ] was far more tragic than anything we've seen so far, and it was handled excellently. It's difficult to develop a character who the audience is able to emotionally connect with within a few episodes: here they managed to do so in only one, which impresses me to no end. I also thought that the music playing when Kobato and the old man found the fireflies was perfect: it was simple, haunting, and extraordinarily beautiful.

To sum it all up, until this point Kobato has been a pleasant and good-natured anime that has taken a rather shallow (but sweet) view of the world and human nature. But this last episode has introduced more depth than I previously thought possible: both the ugliness and the tragedy in life were at play here, and I have high hopes that future episodes will continue to broaden Kobato's worldview into something deeper and more meaningful than its previous sugar-and-rainbows philosophy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 was a lot darker then I expected in Kobato, up to now it has been mostly innocent, happy and with showing menial tragidies. But I think it has been taken to a new level with spoiler[revealing the nursery has loan sharks after it and the tragic story and gruesome scene of the accident].

And for once the guy actually acted in a way that makes him likable, at least the total jerk of a guy can get physical. I wonder how the show is going to develop in its's characters, and it's themes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7