• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kobato. - series discussion.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
Hrm I dropped this thinking it was too cutesy for my taste, but given the reaction to episode 5 I might pick it up again and see where it's heading.. The whole magical girl collect the gems thing really seemed very boring at first and the implementation was pretty cliche to me, but if it gets darker and more interesting then I'll bite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
swienke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hrm I dropped this thinking it was too cutesy for my taste, but given the reaction to episode 5 I might pick it up again and see where it's heading.. The whole magical girl collect the gems thing really seemed very boring at first and the implementation was pretty cliche to me, but if it gets darker and more interesting then I'll bite.

I wouldn't say that Kobato is going to end up as a "dark" series (certainly not compared to other CLAMP series like X, Clover, etc.) but this episode definitely showed more depth and realism to it than before. The world that Kobato inhabits is starting to feel more like the real world, with both the good and bad, and less like some overly idealistic kid's vision of what reality "should" be like.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Each episode of this series seems to get a little better (unlike some of the other anime I'm watching). I'm glad that some "shady" characters were introduced and that things are feeling more realistic as the story progresses.

The firefly part was extremely touching and I think it's something to which a lot of people can relate. It seems that the duality is going to start early in this series as it's already making an appearance in the subplots. I'm also glad that a larger plot is beginning to present itself more clearly.

In my opinion, this could be one of the best titles to come out of the 2009 fall line up. At the same time, I still think it's pretty average and pales in comparison (so far) to other CLAMP anime titles such as X (TV), CCS, and Angelic Layer. Maybe the ending will offer us a nice plot twist without being bogged down like the TRC manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
swienke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just finished watching episode 6, and all I really have to say is...What the hell!?

spoiler[This episode totally went into fuzzy talking-animal overload. I mean, Ioryogi is one thing, but a bear who bakes bread in a little Bavarian style cottage and also peddles information on the side? A grey cat/fox thing with an eyepatch and some type of murderous vendetta against Ioryogi and possibly Kobato? And a red-headed and scatterbrained cockatoo who works for the bear? I suppose the only thing I can really say is that I was NOT expecting this at all. To a certain extent, it felt like too much: as though after the realism of the last episode the animators decided to temper it with the introduction of 3 new surreal characters, but in the end they just kind of threw off the balance between these two aspects of the show.

However, my little rant of surprise doesn't mean that I disliked the episode: I thought it was mostly solid, but certainly not as good as the last episode. That being said, there were a number of things that I did like about this episode. First of all, I'm pleased that they're continuing to develop the loan shark plot line, and I found the call that Kobato received to be more menacing than the actual content of the words would imply. I also liked all the references to Ioryogi's past, even if we really don't know enough about them at this point for them to make much sense. However, since I like him quite a bit, any news is good news. ]

The one thing that I really noticed about this episode, though, were the European references and touches. Just as much of the inspiration for xxxHolic was Japanese folklore, I'm wondering if Kobato was inspired by European fairy-tales. If so, I may have to dust off my copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Last edited by swienke on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane, you should've brought up the "school festival" lines from Shana 2nd if you really wanted to show redundancy Laughing Same group as "People die if they are killed," too...

dtm42 wrote:
egoist wrote:
I never said it does not make any sense, I just said it was ridiculous.
I also know that Kobato came from a non-human world where humans do not reside.

I see what you did there. Funny.

And yeah, even if it is a literal translation I wish the translator had changed it. It bugs me when they believe that being faithful to the original dialogue - no matter how bad - takes extreme precedence over natural-sounding subtitles. Although translation should be weighted more heavily, it is still a compromise. The translator should have just left it as "Finally we're in the human world". Accurate, and yet the subtitles are completely fine.
I feel tempted to work in the "X World Where X Resides" line into some subs now Evil or Very Mad But seriously, I probably would've subbed that as "Finally, we've reached the world where humans reside." Or maybe "live" instead of "reside." Of course, we can't discount the possibility of trollingg on the part of the fansub group.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
swienke wrote:

spoiler[This episode totally went into fuzzy talking-animal overload. ]

Yeah, that startled me too. Even though I love animals, I was a little shocked.

Quote:
I'm wondering if Kobato was inspired by European fairy-tales. If so, I may have to dust off my copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Instead of Grimm's Fairy Tales, I started getting a mythological feeling during this episode. spoiler[I think it could be because Ioryogi appears to be "exiled" in a different form and someone with a missing eye who appears to be a rival shows up. Ioryogi seems to have similar characteristics to Loki from Norse Mythology, the eye guy seems to parallel Heimdall, and whoever exiled Ioryogi would be Oden. Just a thought. I'm prolly way off though. Anime smile] Although all the animals would definitely imply Grimm's. I'm starting to wonder if spoiler[the reason Kobato is in the human realm is because of Ioryogi. I get the feeling that he's trying to protect her from someone or something more than assisting her by helping her fill the bottle with candies.]

Just out of curiosity, if anyone is familiar with Clover and has seen ep 7 of Kobato spoiler[is there any significance in Clover of a large patch of four leaf clovers in the park? I'm wondering if this is part of a crossover and would have a deeper significance to me had I read Clover. ] Although, it's prolly nothing. I'm just a curious person and I kinda like my CLAMP crossover stuff.

And, about XXXHolic and Kobato - I like that Ioryogi enters that portal through the space between a pole and a wall. I believe it was Yuko who warned Wantanuki not to walk in those spaces because he may enter a different world. Made me laugh a bit.

Overall, the spoiler[talking animal fest] did bother me a bit and also broke the flow of this episode/series for me a little. I felt a little bombarded by having several characters introduced so quickly. Although, I think I had previously complained that it felt a little slow. So maybe things are going to pick up.

Definitely feeling the onset of darker plots. This was definitely welcomed with open arms. I'm also glad that we have a "real world" problem with the loan sharks going as well as some kind of other world issue at hand. Still looking forward to more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that some people are surprised with the "animal fest" of the last eppie. I never assumed Ioryogi was the only one of his kind and we know that he and Kobato didn't come from this world, so it's natural we get to see a glimpse of the other one. That whole bear bakery scene cracked me up and I love Ioryogi's rival being the toughest one-eyed rabbit you've ever seen. Can't wait to get more of THAT backstory.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I love Ioryogi's rival being the toughest one-eyed rabbit you've ever seen. Can't wait to get more of THAT backstory.

You know what's even MORE amusing? The VAs for Ioryogi and that one-eyed rabbit Ginsei also did Kurogane and Fay respectively in Tsubasa Chronicles. spoiler[And not to mention Fay also lost his eye as well.]
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that some people are surprised with the "animal fest" of the last eppie. I never assumed Ioryogi was the only one of his kind and we know that he and Kobato didn't come from this world, so it's natural we get to see a glimpse of the other one.

Well, I knew that he couldn't have been the "only" one of the animal kind. I just wasn't expecting a full entourage of fluffy woodland creatures to descend so quickly.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm beginning to hate Clamp's "recycled" material. Seriously, I did like XXXHolic, Tsubasa, X and CCS(and probably more). But it's just getting too old, always using the same stuff, even character design. I believe that Clamp has many brilliant minds, minds going to waste like this.

Back on topic -
The firefly episode was my favorite so far(as well). But this most recent episode was the best when it comes to plot, but I still doubt there's going to be much of a plot in Kobato.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I'm beginning to hate Clamp's "recycled" material. Seriously, I did like XXXHolic, Tsubasa, X and CCS(and probably more). But it's just getting too old, always using the same stuff, even character design. I believe that Clamp has many brilliant minds, minds going to waste like this.

I agree with you. I like seeing the crossover stuff because I've usually seen whatever it's referencing. But, I would REALLY like to see something more original. Or maybe they should just finish X.

Sorry that got off topic. Kobato is great for what it is and it's nice to see familiar stuff, but . . . I wonder when they're gonna cut this mess out?
Amitiel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
But this most recent episode was the best when it comes to plot, but I still doubt there's going to be much of a plot in Kobato.

Mmm, I can quite clearly see that it's going to end up with some cutesy ending to this plotline, spoiler[probably like the guy who's threatening to shut the nursery down and Sayaka were dating (as has already been hinted), they get back together] and everyone starts skipping and frolicking. Or something equally as merry and jovial.

That said, we're only 7 episodes into a 24 episode series. There's potential for it to get a lil' more serious yet. I'm just not holding my breath. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
I am part way through being shocked over the suden woodland introductions of characters, what in the world hapend to this show from earlier eps, so much for realism. But I kind of enjoyed it, for some reason I got a bit excited over the eyepatch guy, and the baker I found quite intersting, partialy for references to Ioryogi. Well now he is kind of reminding me of that duck in Moetan for spoiler[for being punished and turned into a cute thing and becoming the mascot of a defunct magical girl].

Well I can say that I am excited for future episodes even more now, though a few of you seem to disagree. But maybe I will watch a bit of X Holic, since there have been a few mentions, and the title has grabed my attention before to plan to watch.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I am part way through being shocked over the suden woodland introductions of characters, what in the world hapend to this show from earlier eps, so much for realism.

Arrrrgh, some of you peeps are killin' me, here. Long before the last episode, this series had already established it was about an otherworldly girl whose mentor is a FIRE-BREATHING, TALKING STUFFED ANIMAL and her task is to help people with wounded hearts and when she's successful in this she COLLECTS LITTLE CANDY-LOOKING MORSELS IN A GLASS BOTTLE.

So a few more talking animals show up and NOW you're questioning the show's "realism?"

*shoots self*
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
I just thought it was a little different, I thought maybe mostly human like magical beings, but it looks like there are a lot of animalistic creatures. Plus now there are magical portways hiden around, some being punishing creatures for crimes, and some sort of actiony past involving Ioryogi being some sort of tyrant and cool action scenes. I didn't think Kobato would have any magical fights.

Anyway I had enough "realism" in Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, I don't realy care about ralism in Kobato, I just am likeing the multilayered world. I guess most of the shock was that a mostly realistic mini arc, sudenly having events hapen through the magical parts was a bit of a shock.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7