• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ansatsu Kyōshitsu.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablo_Equis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving this title! Anyone else reading this? Being a Jump title, I can't imagine it's far off of anyone's radar who loves to read manga.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Maybe you could be a little more detailed, as per the rules, with a short synopsis and maybe some non-spoiler reasons to get people interested and actually discussing stuff?
Maxy B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Okay, Assassination Classroom, or Ansatsu Kyoshitsu, is Yusei Matsui's new series about an 'alien' who, after blowing up the moon, chose to teach an under-performing class in Japan, giving them the extra incentive for being there that if they kill their sensei they get a substantial monetary reward.

The series from that point on is a gag manga following the alien ("Koro-Sensei") and his students as they face off, learn life lessons, end up in strange situations and much, much more.

If you've read or watched Matsui's other series, Majin Tantei Neuro Nougami, then you probably have a good idea of his art style and love of the weird, and whilst this is much more accessible and all-ages compared to that work, it still has that same indomitable and utterly mental spirit.

Of course being unlicensed I can't link to anywhere you can read it illicitly, but you can see a volume preview officially over at THIS LINK and if I can blag self-promoting for a second, I've delved into this series in more detail in podcast form over at Friendship! Effort! Victory!.

If either of those things catch your interest, buy the Japanese editions or e-mail Viz to suggest the series to them for Shonen Jump Alpha and such things. It's proper good and it'd be good if it got a larger audience.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Maxi for the courtesy.
Pablo_Equis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
My apologies for missing the opportunity to summarize this story myself; I'm not able to participate here as regularly as I'd like. Indeed, thanks Maxy B for the overview. Also, thanks for being patient with me, as I'm new to the forum and am perhaps slow to get the feel of what's encouraged and what's frowned upon.

Maxy B, I'm glad to see someone else is familiar with this title. I have some speculation about what's going on overall in this story. Before I comment on it, however, I'm gonna listen to your podcast. Thanks for the link!

To anyone who hasn't read any of this story yet, this is a classroom comedy, as Maxy B correctly described, but one that has a much larger story looming over every chapter. It's a nice blend of mystery, comedy, and coming of age content, all set in a classroom in which the teacher is instructing his students on how to achieve his assassination. The teacher is, again, an alien who has come to Earth threatening to destroy it within a year from his arrival. He's so powerful, fast, and elusive that the governments of the world must concede him a strange wish; he asks to train a particular class of Junior High School students, Class 3-E [comprised of the worst students in the school, placed in the class because they couldn't keep up with the school's level of study], to be able to achieve killing him before a year's time is up. While he is busy teaching the art of assassination, he also teaches the students all the subjects they would normally be expected to learn, and it becomes clear very early on that he actually has the students' best interests in mind and wants them to achieve academic success while enjoying a fulfilling school experience. Despite the theme of assassination and the conflict inherent in the fact that the class is the worst class in an otherwise prestigious school, it lacks the gloomy disposition one might expect. I think it's a cleverly told story, and one atypical for Jump fare. The unanswered questions posed are intriguing rather than annoying, and I find myself enjoying the clues and the speculation about the big picture.

The only drawback I can see is that there are only 26 chapters to read so far. I've added this title to my list of weekly titles to enjoy, and it's one of my favorites. I recommend it highly.

Thanks for the info, again; I'm going to have to read Majin Tantei Neuro Nougami now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1