• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Fresh Blood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HammerandNails

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
"The best American equivalent to the light novel audience are guys who only read Star Wars franchise novels and never read "real" books."

This single line of text fails to grasp what a Japanese light novel, as a matter of fact is or how it operates on so many levels I have stopped reading there. Nice try tho.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
HammerandNails wrote:
This single line of text fails to grasp what a Japanese light novel, as a matter of fact is or how it operates on so many levels I have stopped reading there. Nice try tho.

Wait, wait! That's just the shortest way I could think of to explain it, since there is no equivalent to light novels in the American market. I'm really, honestly interested in hearing your explanation.

I know more or less what I've said wrong and why it's wrong, but I'm always looking for a brief and concise way to explain light novels to adults who have never seen or heard of one... perhaps in less than 140 characters, Twitter-style.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
HammerandNails wrote:
"The best American equivalent to the light novel audience are guys who only read Star Wars franchise novels and never read "real" books."

Given that you apparently signed up just to post this, care to enlighten us about the deep and complex world of light novels, professor?
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Liking the column so far, I like your style, and share your taste. Personally I agree with what that light novel comment the other poster made (but I won't quit on you just because of that Razz).

The problems I had with that statement, not to speak for the other dude, were that light novels are not always, nor even primarily extremely marginal works that only cater to a small group of people, let alone "otaku". [Also, labeling a person or group as "otaku" is something I'd avoid... the American interpretation of the word has sort of bastardized the term here but it still has a negative connotation in Japan]

Light novels are plot-driven works that could be compared to young adult or teen literature in the US; the plot reads like an anime or video game, but many times it is the case of a Chicken/Egg situation (as it was with Haruhi, Bakemonogatari, etc). They sell fairly well both in the doujin market and published works, as opposed to the Star Wars novels, which have a very niche fanbase. Their primary market is likely among teenagers to adults who do indeed watch anime and play video games, but their content is casual enough that one need not be "otaku" to appreciate it. If you had to describe it Twitter style, "young adult fiction novellas" would be accurate. But just like any medium...anime, manga, they are a mixed bag. "Stigma" is not the representative work for what a LN reads like...heh

Anyway, it's not an important issue. I'm sure most readers know what Light Novels are, and Stigma is awful irrespective of what it was based off of Wink

Look forward to your future columns!
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
Light novels are plot-driven works that could be compared to young adult or teen literature in the US

That was my thought on the few I've read. It's comparable to stuff I would have read at age 13 or 14 in the U.S., except with what are considered more adult themes here (having read Robert Heinlein by then, that wouldn't have been my own assessment). They would fit perfectly into that section in the library otherwise.

I actually think "light novel" translates pretty closely to what they actually are, irrespective of the market.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
HammerandNails wrote:

Given that you apparently signed up just to post this, care to enlighten us about the deep and complex world of light novels, professor?

I don't know, but with something like the social satire done in Kino's Journey, I can hardly think of that light novel being compared to Star Wars franchise novels.

It was a quick comparison, and at first, it fits. However, it's just a generalization, and we all know that there are exceptions.

Personally, I'm sad that the light novel industry never really took off here. I'd love to read more Kino and FMP, as well as stuff that hasn't been licensed yet like Baccano!
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Very nice review, Erin...and welcome to ANN. As a fellow fan of Gurren Lagann, Genshiken and Gainax, I look forward to reading more of your reviews...As it is, I found your review of Black lagoon to be spot on. Very entertaining series... Very Happy
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
WoW talk about in-debth reviews. I really enjoyed all these reviews. Nice job. I think have a new reviewer I can trust.

And yes Black Lagoon is very dark, and very disturbing. But that's sort of one of the reasons it's so good. And Hansel and Gretel for the win, really. They are my favorite characters in the show. What a tragic pair they are...
Anime_Rapture

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
David.Seth wrote:
ps (assuming your reading the forums) which Satoshi Kon work is your favorite?

1. Paprika
2. Paranoia Agent
3. Millennium Actress
4. Tokyo Godfathers
5. Perfect Blue

I also like the Magnetic Rose short, but he didn't direct it, so I'm not sure it counts.

I got an autograph last time Kon was in New York!

Yay, I have seen and enjoyed all of those but Paranoia Agent....

Also, thumbs up for the Firefly reference....

Welcome!!
OGT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
Light novels are plot-driven works that could be compared to young adult or teen literature in the US; the plot reads like an anime or video game, but many times it is the case of a Chicken/Egg situation (as it was with Haruhi, Bakemonogatari, etc). They sell fairly well both in the doujin market and published works, as opposed to the Star Wars novels, which have a very niche fanbase. Their primary market is likely among teenagers to adults who do indeed watch anime and play video games, but their content is casual enough that one need not be "otaku" to appreciate it. If you had to describe it Twitter style, "young adult fiction novellas" would be accurate. But just like any medium...anime, manga, they are a mixed bag. "Stigma" is not the representative work for what a LN reads like...heh

YA literature is the best analogy, really.

Some YA novels are Octavian Nothing. Some YA novels are Maximum Ride. Most are in between.

It's worth pointing out, as well, that Legend of the Galactic Heroes was originally a light-novel series too. As was Zero no Tsukaima. As was Baccano!. So there's all kinds of variety there.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Firefly, SMT, Twelve Kingdoms, Soul Eater, WoW, and SZS props/comparisons all in one column? I'd ask you to marry me but looks like someone beat me to it~
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Eh, first post, maybe? Shocked This is new.

Anyway, I really like Erin's first shot on Shelf Life. She has pretty different tastes from Bamboo...really different tastes, I think, from what I can tell. So I think this is going to be an interesting column. I like how she points out which types of people might like the show near the end, which Bamboo often did as well, but it's a trend I love to see continue.

Best of luck Shelf Lifeing it, Erin! Very Happy

And I loooooooooooooooooooove School Rumble too. I was never very sure if that's because it was good or because it was bad. I guess it must be because it's stupid...in a clever way? Now my brain is just rumbled. Anime dazed

Same with me as well. the new guy has the entire review of everything right on the button. though i would have bumped Kaze no Stigma as a shelf worthy if you like the dub version. It may be medicore on the animation,but the story is still decent in my view and it's dub is actually more better which is good enough to merrit my claims. Sure it's very inferior compared to Shakugan no Shana and Zero no Tsukaima (Familar of Zero) but it's a decent series for a weekend. At least until the big kahuna series (Inuyasha: The Final Act) comes to the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Bringing up current events to point out how relevant anime can be? Awesome! Tho you made me more curious about Firefly than Black Lagoon. Welcome to the party, Erin. I look foward to reading more of your reviews (and about your wedding!)
boshima

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Leeroy Jenkins.....
LOL
miranda.rochelle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
Very nice as always, Erin. Very Happy

I've seen some of the first season of School Rumble, and I agree that it's really good; I've read a bit of the manga too, but that was a few years ago (?) and I don't remember much from it.

Black Lagoon sounds interesting, but I can't really handle gore (also there are three kids under six in my house), so I'll have to be careful if I try to watch it.

And congrats again on getting married! (I know I've said it before, lol) There might possibly be a secret wedding gift in the works, but I can't say...as it's a secret. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6