• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Anime Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Then there's Yu Yu Hakusho, this series had two previous movie releases in the US so it wasn't entirely alien to people, not to mention it has aged extremely well visually.

Technically, one of those movies was only about a half hour long and more of an extra episode with slightly-better animation than anything else, but your point is made. Though I think it was AS and CN that built up its popularity, since they used DBZ like advertising. And for some reason, I love the anime's art style (Studio Perroit did a great job), but I hate the manga drawings...
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
Naruto is far more important to the anime community, love it or hate it.

More important then what? And how is another crappy shonen series important? Seriously, what happened to the quality of shonen? I'd rather watch DBZ or Yu Yu Hakusho over One Piece over Naruto anyday.

So there's no more Big O, they've lost the rights to Outlaw Star, and there's no more Conan yet they're still getting more Inu Yasha? Morons. Yes, they got Paranoia Agent, but they really need to get more good anime more often. They were doing good when they got FMA, GiTS, the ROD OVA, and Metropolis, but then they just kind of stopped. When you're only showing good shows one day a week then there's a problem. Tech TV is just blowing them away.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I don't see how you could say that Naruto belongs on Toonami-the show is way more mature and intellegent than say, Inu Yasha or Case Closed,

You don't really think it's more intelligent or mature then Conan, do you? That's hysterical.
xSUiT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
Isaaru wrote:

More important then what? And how is another crappy shonen series important? Seriously, what happened to the quality of shonen? I'd rather watch DBZ or Yu Yu Hakusho over One Piece over Naruto anyday.

Are you serious!? Have you ever even seen/read Naruto? and if so just how much of it was it cause even though i'm a big time dbz fan i can't even hope to imagine it being in the same class as Naruto as far as quality goes overall. Naruto is simply better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:30 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Let's look at the examples you gave: DB and DBZ have been maintaining popularity in the US since 1996, at that time the series were still fresh, heck the series had just wrapped up in Japan the same year it debuted over here.

Excuse me? Dragonball GT isn't exactly helping the franchise by being aired now....the card games are nothing more than Thift Store Donation Fodder, the toys are Bargan Bin Rejects.....The only thing of that property that is going good is the video games, but even that is being hyped by little kiddies that have to have a PARENT make the monetary choices. Heck, the fighting engine on that game looks outdated to another outdated fighting game, Guilty Gear Isuka!!

Quote:
I thinking hating them is a bit much; they've given us lots of great anime over the years,

How is it "Great" when they keep airing the same damn 25-Episode Anime for 4-5 years straight?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:55 am Reply with quote
xSUiT wrote:
deathbringer wrote:
Isaaru wrote:

Are you serious!? Have you ever even seen/read Naruto? and if so just how much of it was it cause even though i'm a big time dbz fan i can't even hope to imagine it being in the same class as Naruto as far as quality goes overall. Naruto is simply better.

That's as good as saying "IT'S BETTER BECAUSE I SAY SO". So yeah, take Animation or music clarity or whatever into account, sure, it's leagues ahead of Dragonball- but hey, wait, it was made a good 15 years after? Animation quality (supposedly) does improve after such a long time. However, when it comes to storytelling, you've got to realise that it's all based on personal choice and tastes, not on some grand-high scale or fanbase. I mean, I can't stand Love Hina, but there's no doubt that there is a gigantic fanbase for it.

PS. part of the inspiration for Naruto was, infact, DBZ. So show some gratitude, kay Wink?
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:25 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
Isaaru wrote:

More important then what? And how is another crappy shonen series important? Seriously, what happened to the quality of shonen?

Yeah, it got bad.
Koraji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Question... Since they won't release the eps. for Big O 3 or Case Close then is it possible for me to rent either one or buy either one?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Koraji wrote:
Question... Since they won't release the eps. for Big O 3 or Case Close then is it possible for me to rent either one or buy either one?

There is no Big O 3. It doesn't (and hopefully never will) exist. As for Detective Conan, FUNimation is currently in the process of releasing the series, and will likely stick with it for the long haul.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Koraji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why most people hate Big O. I didn't think it was that bad, just the last eps. they aired on Adult Swim made me think I wasted my time.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I adore Big O, which is precisely why I don't want to see any more episodes produced. I was actually rather satisfied with the way the second season ended, and I think it'd destroy the series if they tried to drag it past this rather conclusive stopping point.
Koraji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
You're right... It would ruin the whole meaning of the show. Still I was left confused.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Let's look at the examples you gave: DB and DBZ have been maintaining popularity in the US since 1996, at that time the series were still fresh, heck the series had just wrapped up in Japan the same year it debuted over here.

Excuse me? Dragonball GT isn't exactly helping the franchise by being aired now....the card games are nothing more than Thift Store Donation Fodder, the toys are Bargan Bin Rejects.....The only thing of that property that is going good is the video games, but even that is being hyped by little kiddies that have to have a PARENT make the monetary choices. Heck, the fighting engine on that game looks outdated to another outdated fighting game, Guilty Gear Isuka!!

None of that is relevent. First off I never mentioned GT so don't even go there. The cards, just like any CCG, had their moment, but there are so many throw away card games out there that you really can't use that to measure the shows popularity, especially not now that the series is over. When a series finishes the populairty of it's merchandise drops as well, it's only natural. I wouldn't measure the popularity of Akira by the popularity of the McFarland action figures that were only clearance pegs for years. If you do insist on measuring the popularity by it's merchandice then the toy line is actually a better example of popularity than you think. The toys are still seeing release today even though the series ended years ago in the US. Believe me, if the toy line was doing as poorly as you think they would then Jakks, a company that is always eager to cut the fat, would have dropped the line a long time ago. Instead they've actually pulled something unexpected in importing the latest Bandai DBZ line from Japan. And of course the video game is bieng hyped by little kids, duh, who do you think is hyping the show? And really, what does the fighting engine have to do with the popularity of DBZ the show?

You know, you can love it or you can hate it, hell, you can even be indifferent about it, but no matter what you think about DBZ it will always remain one of the most popular anime titles to have ever crossed the Pacific.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zopwx2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I adore Big O, which is precisely why I don't want to see any more episodes produced. I was actually rather satisfied with the way the second season ended, and I think it'd destroy the series if they tried to drag it past this rather conclusive stopping point.

I'm going respectfully disagree.

The only reason given to us by Cartoon Network for not creating a 3rd season is that it cost too much money.

As far as the story goes, the head writer Chiaki Konaka linked to a season 3 website with the words "do you want to see a 3rd?". Obviously the man who penned all of the second season is not opposed to any additional big o.

Not to mention Sean Akins from cartoon network refering to Big O as unfiinished.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quote
Naruto sucks.

::sigh:: you probably want reasons?

It's got the same shortcoming DBZ had. Lots of nothing for lots of time. It's a kids show dude. I expect that. I like one piece a lot more and that's a kids show too. actually, i love one piece. The characters are a lot more interesting. There isn't nearly as much downtime because the characters are lot more quirky and interesting to watch during down time. I like the naruto manga...correction liked..past tense, but it's really not that interesting anymore. It definitely isn't the best thing since sliced bread that everyone seems to say it is. It's made for the widest japanese audience for animation....prepubescent boys. The argument that Japan respects animation more than...say the US...is an invalid argument since they don't respect it all that much more. The actual "adult" anime comes out in Japan at pretty much 1am. Inu Yasha is shown at like 7pm, and that show is pretty tame. I'm not sure about Naruto, I believe it's an afternoon show, but not sure. Pretty much, Naruto is a kids show for Japan. Which I guess translates to the adultswim block for us here in the states. All that still doesn't excuse the fact that Naruto sucks. The fighting, on occasion, is actually quite thrilling, but that's it. the animation quality can actually go quite down to hell on occasion, like many tv series. Naruto to me is a take it or leave it show, and I would rather leave it. I have dating-sim animes higher on my to watch list than Naruto. Don't dis those either just because they're dating-sim animes. I hear Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is actually pretty darn good. It might not be your thing, but hey, Naruto should be mine. But it's not. It's an average show. Which still makes it good I guess, but for what it could of and should of been, it sucks. The Dragonball Z for the new age. I really liked DBZ too. Atleast the manga...all in all. The mangas are better.

This is explainable by the fact that the show needs to keep itself behind the manga, and thus throw in fillers. If you don't know what a filler is...you really haven't been into this for all that long, or you haven't really dug yourself deep into this. "This" being the hobby of being an anime fan. Fillers are things that...well you should have guessed it atleast, fill up time. It puffs out the tv series to let the manga move past or just for the animators to add certain things. In shows like naruto, where it does follow the manga fairly closely, it's basically animators doujinshi. Sometimes fun, most of the time just bleh. The entire last two story arcs of kenshin is pretty much filler, but they never got back on track. Anyway I'm an anime fan and I love it. That's my credentials for saying Naruto sucks. The reasons why it sucks? Typical shounen storyline, tournament style plot points, which DB/Z pretty much invented or atleast made insanely popular, and above all else, the chuunin episode where Sakura had to try to keep the passed out Naruto and Sasuke from harm. Boo to endless flashbacks. Although Sakura being beat was quite funny for the first two or three times they cut back to it.

That's my reason for saying Naruto sucks. I made it vocal because so many people keep saying Naruto is the greatest anime and such. It definitely doesn't deserve its high placement on a list for all time best anime, but it's not my list that Naruto decorates. Enjoy, and you know what...if you flame back at me, I don't care, I'm done with this topic and with talking about Naruto.

Go Paranoia Agent, kick some major arse Samurai Champloo, stay classy Last Exile, warp our minds Boogie Pop, stay ever loving glorious Crest of the Stars and keep on chugging GiTS:SAC. May Risky Safety, unbutchered Cardcaptor Sakura and the glorious Kodocha grace your ever loving ranks as animes that kick arse on television.

Last edited by hkrok76 on Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7