• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nana DVD Box Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
Yes, it is not shoujo exactly I would say it is Josei. Either way anyone who is a fan of realistic dramas will like it, same with Honey and Clover.

It's a little complicated, actually. Shueisha lists Cookie, the magazine Nana is published in, as a shoujo magazine. Other lists and publishers, however, treat it as josei. I'd say in terms of style and content Nana feels more like a josei than a shoujo, due to the age of the characters (in their 20s) and the amount of sex going on. But I've found there's more of a gray area in the female demographic than the male along the teen/adult line.

Quote:
Oh but the dub is exellent.

Well, I just don't watch dubs anyway. Forgive me for believing you ought as much as possible to watch something the way it was originally created rather than with a whole new audio track done in, no matter how well it's done. I'm a purist and a snob, I totally admit it. Wink
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely pretty high up there on my wish list for anime (just below the rest of Sailor Moon S...damn its OOP status). I remember reading the first chapter of the manga in the first issue of Shojo Beat magazine and just absolutely falling in love. It's such a fabulous series.

Really the only complaint I have with it is that I think it probably is being dragged out a bit longer than necessary but I have a feeling that the ending of the manga is fairly near (and hopefully a second season for the anime...another warning for new people is that there isn't really an ending to the first one as it sticks very closely to the manga, which is still on-going).
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Great review! You described the Nana's relationship extremely well. I think a lot of people can connect to the series because of their powerful and realistic friendship. Just like many related to Yukari in Paradise Kiss for how she wanted to experience new things and follow her passions. I've been a huge fan of Nana for years, it's one of the select anime that I can rewatch every few months.

Not to rave about Paradise Kiss, but for me Nana has always ranked slightly lower then Para-kiss. I think that mature audiences are more captivated by Nana, and the younger fans can relate to the feelings in Paradise Kiss more. I mentioned this because people are always comparing these two masterpieces.

Anyway, I bought the first season of Nana over the summer when it was released on Itunes, at first I hated the voice of Nana O.(the singer, I always mix the last names up) in the dub because she intially sounded a little akward and unsure, and Nana is anything but that, but I grew to like her take on Nana.

Looking forward to part two.

EDIT: Im pissed that they include "a little pain" in the series, it was definatly the most powerful single.

Last edited by Alestal on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
While the reviewer encapsulated the appeal of the show, and I'm sure it deserves the praise it gets by fans, I don't really like it. As I felt with Paradise Kiss, Nana is depressing in a bad way (that is, I usually like melancholic shows) and has characters I can't relate to, nor feel sympathy for, at all. That edgy, "ooh, young adults being in relationships, having sex, breaking up, and living their lives while striving for their dreams" vibe doesn't do it for me. That facet of modernity being explored is something I've shunned in my own life.

And someone please strangle Mario for me. I know of no other person who actively seeks to give moe anime a bad name more than him (while paradoxically being a fan of the genre himself). I love moe anime, especially Clannad, but for chrissakes, it doesn't need to be brought up here where it's just going to be ridiculed! Use common sense!

You know, I agree with everything you said(except for the part about strangleing the moe otaku user). I actually was JUST about to buy this, when I visited ANN on my Iphone to read a review--right there in Best Buy--and saw that they were up for stream. I'm on episode 5, and, after everytime I watch an episode, I always have this bad taste in my mouth. It's a wee bit too depressing. But, I'll try and continue. When Carl said "can be difficult to watch", I wasn't sure what his reasons' were, but, that was mine.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
NANA Has Nothing on Clannad.

Dear god, I hope you're kidding.

I wish Nana was released in two sets. It's one of those series that you can't watch 11 episodes at a time. It's one of those series that you must watch in a marathon because of how great it is. I just find it really hard to shell out 49 dollars to buy it. It's either Honey and Clover or Nana and one of them's got to give.

I have to disagree about the greatest anime statement though. Peach Girl is in competition for one of the best anime out there. It's so stupid and ridiculous that it makes an entire 360 and becomes good.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
While the reviewer encapsulated the appeal of the show, and I'm sure it deserves the praise it gets by fans, I don't really like it. As I felt with Paradise Kiss, Nana is depressing in a bad way (that is, I usually like melancholic shows) and has characters I can't relate to, nor feel sympathy for, at all. That edgy, "ooh, young adults being in relationships, having sex, breaking up, and living their lives while striving for their dreams" vibe doesn't do it for me. That facet of modernity being explored is something I've shunned in my own life.

This about sums up my thoughts of the show. I couldn't really relate nor attempt to care for either of the two Nanas. I can see why it is appealing to the audience that relishes such content though. It's a well constructed series, just not one I particularly like.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
I never heard of Rebecca Shiochet, so I Googled her and saw she sings in a band. I haveta know: does she sing in the show? I was curious about how the dub would handle the music in NANA for a while; I know it's probably too much to hope for a Beck-like dub, but I'd love that (if it were done well).

Great review; I love the manga and adding music to the story can only make it better! Smile
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
JairStout wrote:

And someone please strangle Mario for me. I know of no other person who actively seeks to give moe anime a bad name more than him (while paradoxically being a fan of the genre himself). I love moe anime, especially Clannad, but for chrissakes, it doesn't need to be brought up here where it's just going to be ridiculed! Use common sense!

You know, I agree with everything you said(except for the part about strangleing the moe otaku user). I actually was JUST about to buy this, when I visited ANN on my Iphone to read a review--right there in Best Buy--and saw that they were up for stream. I'm on episode 5, and, after everytime I watch an episode, I always have this bad taste in my mouth. It's a wee bit too depressing. But, I'll try and continue. When Carl said "can be difficult to watch", I wasn't sure what his reasons' were, but, that was mine.

Ah, I only jest about the strangling. Wink

Having a bad taste in your mouth is a good way of putting it. I've come to realize that I'm an anime fan because of its departures from reality. Nana seems to relish in making the story its telling as true to life as possible. The end result is too depressing and soap operish for me. But again, this comes from my perspective of anime as a form of escapism.

Megiddo wrote:
JairStout wrote:

This about sums up my thoughts of the show. I couldn't really relate nor attempt to care for either of the two Nanas. I can see why it is appealing to the audience that relishes such content though. It's a well constructed series, just not one I particularly like.

Exactly. I think it's easy to tell that from a perspective more suited to this type of storytelling, Nana is top notch. And on a more technical aspect, I think this is one of Mad House's best looking shows.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
UltimateSpaceLion wrote:
Great review! I expected NANA to get no less.

I'm surprised to see no mention of the fact that the amazing, original first ending theme "a little pain" has been replaced by the slightly less affecting second ending "starless night", something which enraged me when I first heard it (and still does). I think that warrants a mention...

I swear to God I was all set to buy this boxset until I read on the AoDVD boards that "A Little Pain" is missing from the soundtrack. If there's one song in the entire OST they couldn't leave out of the American release, it's that one. Many of the show's most poignant moments work especially because of that theme playing in the background, and I just can't imagine Nana without it.

What really baffles me is the fact that, even though Viz couldn't license "A Little Pain", they still managed to license "Starless Night", which was recorded by the same artist. What's up with that? In fact, if they had done the opposite, replacing the second ending theme for the first one, I wouldn't mind buying the boxset, albeit begrudgingly. Now I wonder if they'll manage to license all those Spitz and Shikao Suga songs for the Honey & Clover boxsets.

But other than that, Nana is a flawless adaptation of one of my favorite manga series of all time, and anyone who enjoys a good relationship-driven drama should check it out.
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:

I swear to God I was all set to buy this boxset until I read on the AoDVD boards that "A Little Pain" is missing from the soundtrack. If there's one song in the entire OST they couldn't leave out of the American release, it's that one. Many of the show's most poignant moments work especially because of that theme playing in the background, and I just can't imagine Nana without it.

What really baffles me is the fact that, even though Viz couldn't license "A Little Pain", they still managed to license "Starless Night", which was recorded by the same artist. What's up with that?

Obviously it's a rights issue. Even if the song was done by the same artists around the same time, they still might not be able to get the rights to it. Contracts are overly complicated, and one song could end up here with this group, and another there with that group etc. Even if that's not the case, the Japanese may not have wanted to/be able to sell the rights of the song, or perhaps they were asking a crazy price for it. Even Viz wouldn't just delete a song for the hell of it. I'm sure they wanted the song, but it wasn't worth it in the end I guess, or it was not possible. It is a real shame to lose an ending song, but I personally like the song they still have a little better then the one they didn't get. But for me it doesn't really matter anyway, because at least I have the show. I would not be that upset if I lost the ending theme I like best or anything. I would have liked to have all the ending themes, but it's not a problem for me to be missing some because of this. Nana had to be an expensive license as it is, and it probally cost them a lot of money to get all the songs that they did get. Plus dubbing all those episodes was not cheap. I value dubs very highly, and Ocean dubs are top of the line. My favorite dubbing studio now since Amusement Park Media has been dorment. It might not have been feasible for Viz to get all the songs. So it's no big deal for me. I'm not ganna refuse to buy a series because of something like this...But hey everyone has different opinions and it's their money not mine...
JGonspy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
UltimateSpaceLion wrote:

What really baffles me is the fact that, even though Viz couldn't license "A Little Pain", they still managed to license "Starless Night", which was recorded by the same artist. What's up with that?

Apparently the European versions of Nana are also missing "A Little Pain", which points to some sort of problem with the licensing end in Japan. The rest of the songs are apparently intact though, so the later episodes should be just fine.

I actually didn't care too much for the dub. I found Nana O. to lack the strength of the original version, and while the other roles were mostly good, I couldn't quite get over that. Another issue has to do with the translation, in particular, the fact that the dub seems to be avoiding references to Vivienne Westwood. Aside from the fact that a British fashion designer would actually be more familiar to western audiences, it actually has some important thematic value to it. It might seem small, but the punk rock angle is an important part of the series and the grander statement it's trying to make.
orionism1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
JGonspy wrote:
Apparently the European versions of Nana are also missing "A Little Pain", which points to some sort of problem with the licensing end in Japan. The rest of the songs are apparently intact though, so the later episodes should be just fine.

I actually didn't care too much for the dub. I found Nana O. to lack the strength of the original version, and while the other roles were mostly good, I couldn't quite get over that. Another issue has to do with the translation, in particular, the fact that the dub seems to be avoiding references to Vivienne Westwood. Aside from the fact that a British fashion designer would actually be more familiar to western audiences, it actually has some important thematic value to it. It might seem small, but the punk rock angle is an important part of the series and the grander statement it's trying to make.

Ok so I actually just purchased this first NANA series on amazon and as I'm writing this I am canceling the order. Are you 'F'ing me? They went ahead and released this series without "A Little Pain". Even throughout the series in the background music? I'm a little shocked but I'm gonna stick with an Import with subs then. It's cheaper anyways. I really loved this series, can't believe how hard it is to get information from point 'A' to 'B' legitimately intact. Am I being to harsh? Is it worth rediscovering the series through the new dub? Or should a fan of the original version with subs just stay away?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
orionism1 wrote:
JGonspy wrote:

Ok so I actually just purchased this first NANA series on amazon and as I'm writing this I am canceling the order. Are you 'F'ing me? They went ahead and released this series without "A Little Pain". Even throughout the series in the background music? I'm a little shocked but I'm gonna stick with an Import with subs then. It's cheaper anyways. I really loved this series, can't believe how hard it is to get information from point 'A' to 'B' legitimately intact. Am I being to harsh? Is it worth rediscovering the series through the new dub? Or should a fan of the original version with subs just stay away?

lol "import" no. It's a bootleg. Congrats for buying a bootleg.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
orionism1 wrote:

I hate to tell you, but import DVDs (Japanese R2s) almost never have English subtitles, and are far more expensive than R1s. The Japanese NANA DVDs will run you about $45.00 a disk (with 2-4 episodes a disk), without subtitles.
Even the Hong Kong R3, which is very cheap, doesn't have English subtitles.
I notice a lot of people on here saying "Well, I'll just buy the Japanese DVDs!" whenever they dislike something about the R1 release, without realizing how a)rarely R2s have subtitles and b)insanely expensive R2s are.
The only way you're going to be able to a cheaper import with subtitles, is like Megiddo said, with a bootleg. And, well...bootlegs suck.
Honestly, I think you are being a bit too harsh. Yes, it sucks that 'A Little Pain' isn't there, but it may not be Viz' fault, and really, what are you watching NANA for, the actual show itself, or just the one song?
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Nana receive such high praise. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4