• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kid Friendly Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackBassV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Sakura (Anime) is a sub only title. At 10, she may have difficulty reading quickly enough. Cardcaptor is the (edited) dub version Smile Not as good as CCS, but not too bad.

Pretty Cure is excellent (but not licenced), especially for advertising anime.

Azumanga Daioh is another I'd recommend - Both Anime and Manga. There's no violence, just teenage school girls and their relationships. Doesn't sound funny, but is.

You may want to try Dragon Half too. A little cartoonish violence, but also really funny. The Theme song (My Omelet) is one of the funniest things in existence.

My daughter first saw Dominion Tank Police and New DTP when she was about 10. She loved it, and still watches anime today (dubbed though Sad)

Anyway, hope these help Wink

JBV^_^
KLS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned this:

Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety

Yes. I watched the first episode with my eight-year-old sister -- you can download it either subbed or dubbed from www.riskysafety.com -- and she liked it.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Sakuara Wars is the only one I can think of from all that I have seen.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Robotech would be another.
Taruto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
If she likes the cutesy stuff like Sugar, you might want to try buying her the first Magical Meow Meow Taruto dvd, providing her birthday's before the 22nd of Feburary Confused since that's the release date.
It's one of my favorite anime (incase you haven't guessed), and it's suitable for all ages. Probably one of the cutest series I've ever set eyes upon Anime smile

JBV - are you sure Azumanga Daioh's suitable for 10 year olds? The first dvd recieved a 12 rating here, and the ratings here are pretty weak to say the least.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Uhhh, no. We're talking about anime titles that would be suitable for girls. Get with the program.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:05 am Reply with quote
This is a rather shameless plug on my part, but I also recommend Figure 17. It's rated 7+ and has an excellent storyline that is appealing to both male and female audiences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:36 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Uhhh, no. We're talking about anime titles that would be suitable for girls. Get with the program.

What the hell? I'm a girl, but I still love gory movies and I'll watch all three of the original Star Wars movies in a row any day, any time. :roll: Girls can like robots too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kainzero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:45 am Reply with quote
i'd also go with tiny snow fairy sugar. what's the name in the US? A little fairy named sugar or something?

one of the most underrated shows ever, most people would be ashamed to admit they watch it, but it's REALLY good.
Khestrel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you want better results, you'll have to tell us a little more about what your family deems appropirate. For example, at that age, I could watch violent and scary movies, but nothing with foul language and sexuality.

Sorry, I should have made this clearer in my first post. For my parents, language so long as it is nothing too extreme is not really an issue. Bloodless violence is generally fine as well, but anything overtly sexual is absolutely not allowed. I think that covers all bases.

And, thanks for all of the suggestions guys! I have only had the chance to look at a couple of the links, but already things are looking promising. Right now, I think I am leaning towards A Little Snow Fairy Sugar and Totoro (my little sister loved Kiki's Delivery Service, so I probably can't go wrong with another Studio Gihbli film), but I am less than halfway through the posts, so who knows what she will end up with.
Thanks again.

Khe-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:13 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

I know girls who like Robotech actually otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it. Rolling Eyes
Acolyte

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:27 am Reply with quote
You might give Angelic Layer a go. My 10 year old daughter loved it. No foul language, lots of action, the main character is a girl, and unless you concider having a octopus shoved down the back of your pants sexual (and I'd hate to meet the person who would), no sexual content to speak of.

Figure 17 is another good choice, so I second areaseven's nomination; but be warned, the ending is way sad, to say the least, and needs a full box of kleenex. Anime cry

Sugar, A Little Snow Fairy is excellent. Far to many people diss on it for being "cute", and, well, it is, but it's a joy to watch. And again, the main (2) character(s) is a girl; one human, and one fairy.
H-Gurl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Try:

Soar High! Isami:
release#2138

Space Pirate Mito: (sounds violent, but retains a 7 and up rating, because it's really just a cute kiddy show)
http://www.animatedbliss.com/DVD/listings.asp?iDetail=Space%20Pirate%20Mito%20Vol.%201:%20Call%20Me%20Mom

Adventures of the Mini Goddess:
http://www.animatedbliss.com/DVD/listings.asp?iDetail=Adventures%20Of%20Mini-Goddess%20Box%20Set
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I thought I was the only one who surfed animatedbliss.com H-Gurl! That is a good idea though. Scroll down the list there and you'll find good stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:07 am Reply with quote
How could I forget this?

Magical Stage Fancy Lala
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3