• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-11-06]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

No, he wasn't aware of that and neither was I when I edited the article.

I don't read every single thing published on every other anime site. Neither does Brian.

So...retraction/edit then?

This probably has more to do with something Mania wanted Chris to do, then Chris himself. I can't remember one article Chris wrote, back when he had AnimeonDVD, that was so blatantly flamebait.
infinitebeauty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Avarice_WP wrote:
(I haven't read his article- think ill go do that now, but I gotta say- in general I find american animation ugly and plain. Batman? Spongebob? Aquateen hungerforce? Okay that last one is funny...)

Are you referring to the way in which it is animated or the character design? Because Batman:TAS had gorgeous character design. Other good-looking American cartoons include Samurai Jack, Batman Beyond, and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

If you were talking about animation quality, then disregard. I'm pretty sure everyone has sent their animation to be done overseas for the past couple of decades.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

This probably has more to do with something Mania wanted Chris to do, then Chris himself. I can't remember one article Chris wrote, back when he had AnimeonDVD, that was so blatantly flamebait.

Well, it's a tough call there, isn't it?

Brian answered the question as if the article were published on some random anime blog - it certainly sounds like something that would pop up on the blog of a newbie fan - and so in context, the answer stands, because that's how Brian feels about bloggers who go on about that sort of thing. In context it is quite clear who Brian is referring to - teenage anime bloggers who think ragin' against American cartoons makes them even 'more authentic' anime fans or some such nonsense.

Then it turns out that it was an AOD article the question was referring to - hardly a random anime blog. Nobody would describe Beveridge as a 'teenage anime blogger' or a 'child' or any of that. So to me it is very clear Brian didn't know that it was an AOD article, and instead assumed what any reasonable person would, that such a piece would be found presumably on a random blog.

So 'retracting' the answer would require that Brian's opinion on such an article would totally change were it written by a professional rather than a random teenage blogger. I would argue that while his language would likely change - he wouldn't be quite as blunt or insulting about it - his reaction to said article would be similar, that it is a foolish thing to say. I would agree with him. I didn't like Chris's "10 reasons anime is superior" article one bit; I respect the man greatly but that article was way below his usual standards. I'm the last person to throw stones - I've published my fair share of crap and have let my standards slip on one too many occasions, but I'd also expect any of my peers to be honest with me about it when I have. They usually are.

So, in context, the answer stands, and the only reason to change it would be to ensure that Chris knows the answer was not intended to be about him (I'm relatively positive he doesn't read Answerman in the first place). Perhaps just a footnote explaining the simple context that Brian answered the question as if the article being asked about were published on some random blog? Hm.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't think a retraction is really necessary. The sent-in question was "To me, there's nothing wrong with liking both American and Japanese animation. I was wondering what do you think?", and that's the question he answered. That being said, now that we know exactly what article was being referred to by the questioner, I think it might be interesting to have Brian read that article and then append his thoughts on that specific article onto the end of his original answer. It would allow his original point to stand, keep him from stepping on any toes by making it clear that his original answer was in no way directed at that specific article, and let him expand his comments to more fully address the specific issue the questioner was interested in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

There was the Slayers one too. And yeah these seem a bit out of his character. Perhaps there's a need to drive traffic? Who knows.

While uncharacteristic and certainly eyebrow-raising columns, Chris made some thought-provoking statements.

Pepperidge wrote:
I do wish they'd make a Shenmue III. 8/

You're not alone! Not that it'll ever happen, sadly. Sad
RedTail

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:

Well, it's a tough call there, isn't it?

Brian answered the question as if the article were published on some random anime blog - it certainly sounds like something that would pop up on the blog of a newbie fan - and so in context, the answer stands, because that's how Brian feels about bloggers who go on about that sort of thing. In context it is quite clear who Brian is referring to - teenage anime bloggers who think ragin' against American cartoons makes them even 'more authentic' anime fans or some such nonsense.

Then it turns out that it was an AOD article the question was referring to - hardly a random anime blog. Nobody would describe Beveridge as a 'teenage anime blogger' or a 'child' or any of that. So to me it is very clear Brian didn't know that it was an AOD article, and instead assumed what any reasonable person would, that such a piece would be found presumably on a random blog.

So 'retracting' the answer would require that Brian's opinion on such an article would totally change were it written by a professional rather than a random teenage blogger. I would argue that while his language would likely change - he wouldn't be quite as blunt or insulting about it - his reaction to said article would be similar, that it is a foolish thing to say. I would agree with him. I didn't like Chris's "10 reasons anime is superior" article one bit; I respect the man greatly but that article was way below his usual standards. I'm the last person to throw stones - I've published my fair share of crap and have let my standards slip on one too many occasions, but I'd also expect any of my peers to be honest with me about it when I have. They usually are.

So, in context, the answer stands, and the only reason to change it would be to ensure that Chris knows the answer was not intended to be about him (I'm relatively positive he doesn't read Answerman in the first place). Perhaps just a footnote explaining the simple context that Brian answered the question as if the article being asked about were published on some random blog? Hm.

I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job, but as a professional courtesy, Brian should probably further qualify his statement in the next edition of the column.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I generally watch long series (20 episodes or more) every weekday afternoon when I get back from work, one episode per day. It's a combination of the Japanese per week and the Western per day syndication. It gets me through a series at reasonable speed, without resorting to bulk watching.

Twelve episode series I would watch two episodes at a time weekly.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the controversy. The question was too vague to know who did the list and where it came from. Besides, it's obvious(at the beginning) the question was answered under the impression this list came from some random fan blog. Hardly an issue, but I guess some people are bored.
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I actually got the impression when reading the column that the questioner was referring to a more professional piece and Brian was referring to it as a random blog kind of as a joke... That was before I knew it actually was, though.
vega427

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
"some loser arsehole's anime blog". Damn that was funny!

Last edited by vega427 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
I guess he doesn't realize that WB contracted Sunrise to animate Batman: TAS. The only scenes that weren't done in Japan were from Bruce Timm's pilot.

Actually, Sunrise was only one of the studios contracted to animate Batman:TAS, as were TMS and a couple of Korean studios.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
As to how to get anime back onto TV and exposed to the mainstream, I wonder why U.S. companies haven't adopted the model in Japan? In both countries, merchandising revenue is 10 times DVD revenue. When an anime is made in Japan, the production "project" team includes companies from every revenue stream: figures and other merchandise, music sales, TV stations and other sponsors in addition to the actual series production companies.

Why not do the same thing in the U.S.? Don't just keep trying to convince, or even pay, TV channels to show anime just to drive that show's (or distributor's) DVD sales. Run tie-in ads for merchandise, give retailers like TRSI cheap 15-second spots to advertise specials, toss up the latest schedule of conventions occasionally, offer ad space on web sites or package covers for the TV channels, etc. Do it as a coordinated effort with the goal of everyone making more money and expanding the market. Basically, direct viewer attention at all aspects of fandom--the knowledge of anime that existing fans take for granted. Loop everything together to create and show a big picture of anime in the U.S., and motivate people to look for more (maybe they aren't impressed with this show, but don't know there are 1,000 others to watch).

Just seems to me there are numerous original ideas for driving the success of anime on TV and expanding the market, but all that's being considered is the way it's always been done, which obviously doesn't work anymore. One thing the Japanese do far better than the U.S. is work together with lots of other companies in synergy to drive the success of a show and the industry as a whole. They aren't perfect, and they have some changes to confront as well, but the U.S. industry hasn't really tried that strategy, as far as I can tell.

As to catching up on anime... I would submit an answer but it would be one line: I marathon, almost exclusively, because my memory for previous episodes sucks and I always have to watch at at least the last half of last week's show over before watching the new one Wink.
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First of all, dude, my first piece of advice: don't get worked up over Top 10 lists on some loser asshole's anime blog. There are other, far more salient issues currently plaguing our world that deserve your ire than what a dumb baby with a blogspot account and a brain STD has to say about cartoons.

It's nice to see Chris Beveridge generate such heated conversation Razz . I'll admit that article wasn't his best work. But I have to agree with the generel belief that "Anime is Superior to Western Animation". Not really for all the reasons he claims, but he is on the right track. Is all anime perfect? Of course not. Is there some crappy anime? Sure. Are there some amazing western cartoons? Of course! But on the average in my opinion is anime is much better. That doesn't mean that just because it's Japanese it's divine, and everything else is crap by default. But usually anime is much better. If I didn't think so I wouldn't be such an anime fan Razz . But it's really not fair to compare anime to western animation, they have huge differences that shouldn't be ingored. And comparing them is kind of problematic , because they are apples and oranges. They are not attempting the same thing, they are not made for the same reason, ect etc. It's not fair to compare them...

Anyway this sure was an interesting "Hey Answerman!" , that's for sure. Laughing
Avarice_WP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
Dang, I guess there are a lot of batman fans on this site. I spend a day at work, come home, and find a bunch of angry bat-heads pissed off about one comment I made. Thats cool though- no I didn't know animation was contracted out to asia. Doesnt matter - Batman shows have crappy ART DESIGN- along with a lot of other western shows. Big chins= meathead stupidity. Besides that, I didn't see any posts defending spongebob or aqua teen. Cus their designs suck too- same with all those damned computer animated movies coming out in the US. Just because UP! has a good story or interesting characters doesnt mean that the shows art design is not retarded. Cars? IceAge? Come on, your killing me here. Dont tell me you defend that garbage too...(for the record, I haven't seen any of those. I dont waste my time on kid stuff).

There are problems with anime, as I agreed with in my first post, but there are a lot of stupid as hell character designs that makes shows unwatchable in the US. The truth hurts!
Avarice_WP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
OH MAN, almost forgot. Someone mentioned Samurai Jack. Man I hated that show. Remember that scene from Clerks 2, where the nerds have their StarWars/Lord of the Rings argument? Well, when the one guy makes fun of Lord of the rings, that is how I pictured Samurai Jack- the same damn thing in every episode. He walks- slowly. He comes across some ruins. He kills some robots. No dialogue. Classic. Such a boring show- yet some people defend it no matter what because it had a unique art style. Sigh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6