• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: [C] BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh, if only someone would pick up Mononoke and Kuuchuu Buranko (not Funimation --- there's no way those series could sell enough to cover the cost of a dub). Would licensing the subtitled versions from that crazy Australian company cut costs enough to make them economically viable, I wonder?

Like others, for me C was a big disappointment. Someday there will be a science-fiction anime in which the science is economics, but until that day, we'll have to satisfy ourselves with crumbs.

Everyone talks about Spice and Wolf when "economics in anime" comes up, but I think the series that handles economics best is Horizon on the middle of nowhere. Not just the market manipulations and negotiation skills of the merchant, Bertoni, but most of the relationships between the characters on board the Musashi and their "gods": all driven by contracts and exchange, and done so that treats the economics seriously, integrates well with the action, and is imaginative. But that aspect comes close to getting lost among all the other threads in the series.

Last edited by dm on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shinn AsukaGSD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Ok i started watching C about 4 days ago and am up to episode ,10.its realli great show and not in the slightest boring.you want to know was boring reading this giys review cause he clearly doesn't know when a good anime hits him in the face and probably most of you watch the same repitive high school animes over and over again.[/list]
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
C was so disappointing which is a shame because the description was pretty promising and original. It started out alright, but it all went downhill from there. They tried to cram too much story in too few episodes and it just got really confusing. I can't even remember how many episodes I watched before I gave up.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
[c]'s only good in showing what a version of YuGiOh who was written by someone with the sociopathy of Gen Urobuchi with none of the nuance of the same would be like.

he is the us exec producer he does very little with the actual product,

Not Gen Fukunaga, this guy. Wink

every time I have looked he is in no way associated with this series.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Not Gen Fukunaga, this guy. Wink

every time I have looked he is in no way associated with this series.[/quote]
Nobody said he was. Conan was just making a snarky analogy.
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow so much hate for [C]. I personally enjoyed it very much, enough that I pre-ordered the LE.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed [C] as well - I was hooked on both the intellectual & psychological levels since it does a very good job using the whole District/Midas stuff to push out metaphors about modern financial concepts.

I can easily see how it would polarise the audience. The show (to me) seemed to be about opening a dialogue with the people watching it regarding money/credit and what our relationship with it is as a culture. ....but then, how many anime fans out there would actually go out of their way to use their free time to "enjoy" debating a subject like the concept of money and credit?

I'd argue that a series such as this should be approached in the same way movies like Thank You for Smoking or God Bless America should - it's a little bit more about the message and social commentary rather than the characters/story as a whole. Is it wrong for an anime rather than a movie to attempt something like this?

The characters and plot of the show weren't exactly uninteresting to me either. So far as Kimimaro, I related very well with him.....he gets roped into a system he doesn't quite desire to be a part of, yet he has no choice but to go along with it unless he wants his future taken from him (student loans anyone?). Mikuni as well - his hardships fuel his own personal philosophy/goals involving money, but even if his intentions are good, his opinions don't speak for everyones' and may ultimately be short-sighted (you may agree with him, or you may share an opposing opinion with some of the other characters in the show).

The review as posted seems a little harsh, but the reasons for it are fair based on the writer's personal taste - there are certainly a lot of people out there that would probably agree too. On the other hand, if you like stories that are more about a "message" than the actual plot & get you thinking, it would be unfortunate to not give [C] a try. In another time and place, the plot of the show may have actually been perfect since the foundation is there - a longer series might have allowed for deeper plot and more development of the characters' situations in the show, but 11 episodes makes this a quick enough watch that it doesn't feel like you're being "preached at" so much, thus I think it works as-is. You may not be entirely satisfied with the conclusion, but maybe you'll think twice about using a credit card in the future after you watch ~

Last edited by LinkTSwordmaster on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the reviewers should stop putting the overall score or the disaggregated scores because they never come close to matching. Outside of the overall score there is one C, the rest are As and Bs, yet the aggregate is somehow a C. Yes and 1 plus 1 does equal 3.
TD912

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this a while ago during Funi's simulcast. If you look at it as some action series and ignore the whole philosophical debate about money, you'll be disappointed.

Most of the people who hate the show seem to think it's some kind of weird Yu-Gi-Oh rip off.

Still, it wasn't very good (imo) as it seemed rushed. There were rumors floating around about how [C]'s story might have originally been planned as a longer 2-cours series, but something happened at the last minute that caused it to get chopped down to 11 episodes. Maybe that's why it felt like a rushed mess.

I think there was some Engrish words in the background during the ending theme that also hinted at this.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster eden of the east is one of my favorite series because of it's message. but it also works well as an actual story and it's message is consistent through out. C doesn't work, it keeps getting distracted by any shiny idea that comes into the writers mind and by the way I don't have a problem with the battle system, or even most of the battles except the one with the angel that gets cut off and really should have been the key idea and not what it occasionally hit upon.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
I guess this would be alright in my book. I can't remember too much of it but it was close when during the Japanese 9.0 Earthquake occurred. Funimation promised to air something interesting and [C] turned out to be one of the series from their lineups.

I thought the premise and originality at first was good but later turned into something that I didn't enjoy as much. It's been awhile though so might have to refresh a bit for a re-watch sometimes this or maybe next year for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Shinn AsukaGSD wrote:
Ok i started watching C about 4 days ago and am up to episode ,10.its realli great show and not in the slightest boring.you want to know was boring reading this giys review cause he clearly doesn't know when a good anime hits him in the face and probably most of you watch the same repitive high school animes over and over again.

How about you instead make your case on why you disagree instead of insulting both the reviewer and other users simply for not sharing your opinion. I have news for you; you are not the center of the universe and if you want to disagree than disagree, but if you're just going to post the equivalent of "I liked it so you must be stupid" then you're going to find such posts are simply deleted in the future. They are inflammatory, insulting and contribute nothing to the discussion aside from picking fights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Maybe the reviewers should stop putting the overall score or the disaggregated scores because they never come close to matching. Outside of the overall score there is one C, the rest are As and Bs, yet the aggregate is somehow a C. Yes and 1 plus 1 does equal 3.

Ever heard of the gestalt phenomenon? That's when something is more than the sum of its parts. The opposite is also true; you can have something that is less than the sum of its parts.

Perhaps the reviewer felt that the individual elements didn't click. Or, maybe he put huge weight on the story grade and little weight on the shiny visuals and nice music.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The characters and plot of the show weren't exactly uninteresting to me either. So far as Kimimaro, I related very well with him.....he gets roped into a system he doesn't quite desire to be a part of, yet he has no choice but to go along with it unless he wants his future taken from him (student loans anyone?). Mikuni as well - his hardships fuel his own personal philosophy/goals involving money, but even if his intentions are good, his opinions don't speak for everyones' and may ultimately be short-sighted (you may agree with him, or you may share an opposing opinion with some of the other characters in the show).

That's the problem with C. The concept is a good one and there are some interesting ideas, but the execution could have been much better.

I don't think it is a terrible series, as I wrote, there are some good ideas there, but it definitely didn't live up to its potential.
kamui85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote
urghh this thing got licensed? is there any info if this show was canceld in japan? 11 episodes is kinda weird for a tv series, the idea is cool but the excecution was awful.

how the world of economics affects us as humans is a trendy topic, (occupy movement etc.) i recomend watching the documentary, zeitgeist addendum, for more info.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3