• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nakama in Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nocturneequuis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
So a bit of background, I'm doing a Master's Thesis on some shonen manga titles and I'm trying to figure out what other shonen (or seinen) manga, preferably not current, has a really strong sense of teamwork and the emphasis is on the group and having to work together. I realize this is kind of a shonen trope but I'm just wondering at the extent of it.

Any ideas?

and thanks. Smile
ridiculus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this is not exactly what you need, but now I remember one article published in the Japanese magazine Otonafami, called "Buddy Manga", in which they picked up 50 titles and sorted them into 5 categories, depending on the relation between the characters: master and servant/guardian, friendship, following the same dream, co-workers and travelling company. The representative titles, respectively, were: Majin tantei Nougami Neuro, Kyou kara ore wa!!, Bakuman, You're Under Arrest and Steel Ball Run. In the last case, the word "nakama" ("company" in my translation) was even used.

I hope this will be of some help.
nocturneequuis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info! Is there a way I can access this article? If not, that's cool, I'll check out these titles in any case. Smile
ridiculus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I think the article isn't available online, but even if it was, you would have to know Japanese to understand it.

Ushio and Tora and Natsume yuujin-chou were mentioned too.
nocturneequuis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Well the Japanese is kind of a big deal but I've taken about four years of it so I could probably muddle through. But as it's probably not online as you said... Anime hyper

Thanks, though!
NeburPT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
Shaman King. Crap, I can't remember the volume/chapter off the top of my head, but it's roughly equivalent to episode 60. It has a wonderful explanation of what Nakama is, and it's done beautifully. One of my favorite scenes in anime/manga. I'll edit this when I figure out which chapter it is.
darknessblades

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
nocturneequuis wrote:
So a bit of background, I'm doing a Master's Thesis on some shonen manga titles and I'm trying to figure out what other shonen (or seinen) manga, preferably not current, has a really strong sense of teamwork and the emphasis is on the group and having to work together. I realize this is kind of a shonen trope but I'm just wondering at the extent of it.

Any ideas?

and thanks. Smile

i would say fairy tail

most destructive team: natsu, erza, gray, (lucy [to keep natsu and gray from atacking erza{see the anime ep 6-12}])
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1