• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: 20 Animated Features Line Up for 2009 Oscar® Race

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:23 am Reply with quote
...What the heck is Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 doing in that list? I thought the Oscars were supposed to go to movies with a decent amount of class and art to them? I know the chances of it being actually nominated are slim, but it's like nominating 'Ten Things I Hate About You'. Is this just a list of all of the animated films released this year?

Personally, I think that the three best animated films on that list are 'Coraline', 'Ponyo', and 'Up', in no particular order. Ponyo deserves at least a special mention in terms of art (watch the jellyfish scene and tell me it's drab--just try), and Coraline is surprisingly dark for an animated film, courtesy of Niel Gaiman.

Hmm...makes me wonder if we'll ever see an American Gods movie...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Funny you mention Ten Things I Hate About You which was pretty much a modernization of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew.

Though I suppose that doesn't mean it automatically have "class" (whatever that means for a movie).

Since there are 20 possibilities, doesn't that mean more nominations than if there were less than 20? I'm not that much into the Oscars, but I remember reading that.
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
...What the heck is Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 doing in that list? I thought the Oscars were supposed to go to movies with a decent amount of class and art to them?

I'mn pretty sure the titles under consideration for nomination are submitted to the nominating committee, not by it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1