• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Sweet Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
After reading this review the most startling revelation dawned up me... I too, grew up on Rainbow Bright... the movie... and I'm a guy... I really don't remember much of the article, despite reading it twice, because of this revelation. I may just shoot myself...

But their is reason to this madness and it all goes a little something like this.

It was the 80's so things like Nicktoons or Cartoon Network didn't exist for kids and if you don't like PBS or knew it even existed, then TV land was a wasteland after 8 AM til 4. My sisters loved it and it was a cartoon and to me, cartoons were all I cared for. My Dad was cool cause he knew how to record VHS's we rented onto blank tapes. And lastly the main reason why I grew up on Rainbow Brite the Movie? It was because it was recorded before Care Bears 2 the movie, Peter No Tail and 8 random episodes of Voltron. That was my childhood. If I wasn't running around outside or scaring the neighbor's dog while pretending to be a ninja; I was watching that tape. Over, and over and over again. Even after Nintendo came halfway into my life, I lived on this tape for pretty much 2 or 3 to end of grade school.

So uhh... yeah... great article? I'm sorry, I'm a bit traumatized by this revelation right now... And all those big eye and those damn hamsters... I think I need to go marathon seasons 1-7 of DBZ to cleanse myself... Or go download Peter No Tail. No... no, definitely DBZ.

Curse you Erin... curse you.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
It's too bad Ghost Hound, another Sentai release, wasn't dubbed.

Does that mean something that's subbed will more than likely never make it past the rental shelf? You also listed other reasons why Ghost Hound wasn't shelf worthy, but it seems like you prefer not to buy things that don't have a dub? (I notice you like subtitled streams, so I'm guessing that you don't mind subtitles, just buying things without dubs?)

i dont think thats it. i believe that cause ghost has a rather decent storyline and such that it kinda merrit to have a dub. It was the same thing for clannad as well for Dokuro-chan which were litteraterly begging for dubs. some people have no problem with subs only however there's some series like ghost hound that at least deserves a dub and I agree that ghost hound should have gotten one,so having it on the rental shelf is exactely where it should be at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
If you're being more conservative in what you think is a "must buy," then that just means we should take the "rental" category more seriously, since there will be some really good shows in there, just not so astounding that they demand an immediate purchase.

I have to quibble with that a litte. Something should be capable of being Shelf Worthy without necessarily being directly equivalent to saying BUY-THIS-NOW-OR-ELSE! Maybe you buy it later on, maybe you just have to go hunting off the beaten path, or even find it used. MSRP is kinda meant to be outrageous because retailers want to show they are saving their customers money, and almost nobody will ever pay it. Eventually the market will depreciate everything to pennies on the dollar (until scarcities from being OOP kick in) through age, secondary markets, or demand. Keeping the price in mind is important. However, the numerator (quality) is a more important piece to the value forumla in both the short & long-terms given tastes and technologies can cause it to drop-off (or recover) even faster than price.
elreicht

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Great Reviews!

Me and my wife watched A Little Snow Fairy Sugar maybe two years ago and we enjoyed it. Although, I have to admit that the search for "twinkle" became a bit annoying but we had to resign ourselves to it since it was a major part of the story.

We probably have to borrow Ghost Hound from a friend and give it a spin to check if it's worth the investment.

Again, great reviews Ms. Finnegan!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
If you're being more conservative in what you think is a "must buy," then that just means we should take the "rental" category more seriously, since there will be some really good shows in there, just not so astounding that they demand an immediate purchase.

I have to quibble with that a litte. Something should be capable of being Shelf Worthy without necessarily being directly equivalent to saying BUY-THIS-NOW-OR-ELSE! Maybe you buy it later on, maybe you just have to go hunting off the beaten path, or even find it used.
Personally I put all the Shelf Worthy titles in Rentals as well as. That way there I will view them at rental price and decide myself if they are then worthy of a place on my rather tight shelf. I can tell you that few have. Wink
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read your column right away because I wasn't interested in any of the shows, but the reviews were very entertaining anyway. Actually, I'm very, very interested in Ghost Hound now, so mission accomplished!

The show that brings out my inner little girl the most us Petite Princess Yucie. That anime has so much spirit and "The Power of Friendship!" that I found it irresistable.

Radio Lab is the most awesome thing from WNYC (NPR New York City), and EVERYBODY should listen to it! Google it right now! All the latest season's shows and podcasts are up (any show that can make me appreciate parasites and Science! in general rocks, IMHO!)
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

The show that brings out my inner little girl the most us Petite Princess Yucie. That anime has so much spirit and "The Power of Friendship!" that I found it irresistable.

Now there's a good show for a younger audience that manages to be very cute, but not over the top, annoyingly cute. If I ever have kids, Yucie would definitely be a show that I'd watch with them. Plus, Glenda is awesome. And the ending...oh man, I'll admit it, I cried like a baby.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Liked your reviews, with the following exception:

Quote:
This would almost, almost, almost be Shelf Worthy, but the lack of a dub or any extras really holds it back.

Have you looked at the polls on this site? If you do, you may notice that the majority of us prefer subs to dubs. By your (current) opinion, that would make both Maria-sama ga Miteru and Aria non-shelf-worthy.

And as for extras, they are precisely that, Extra. Most people watch the extras once then never bother again (at least that's how it is for me - except the puni-puni poemi commentary track!), so why penalise a dvd for the lack of them. They are nice to have, but at best only add a little attraction to a good series, and makes no difference to a bad one.

I've only seen the first episode of A Little Snow Fairy (when originally released), and hated the dub. Far too saccharin for a diabetic like me^_^. That said, I enjoyed the manga. Think it's the lack of sugar coated voices that enabled me to complete the 3 volumes.

JBV^_^
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:
Have you looked at the polls on this site? If you do, you may notice that the majority of us prefer subs to dubs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this editorial column is not a democracy. You can't vote your favorite titles into being Shelf Worthy because this is an opinion column.

I too prefer subs to dubs, but if I'm going to buy something for my 300 square foot apartment it either be damn good or else come with some damn good extras at a damn good price.

JackBassV wrote:
Most people watch the extras once then never bother again

I agree with you here, and I'll take it a step further: I watch most anime once and never again. In order for something to be worthy of my shelves, it needs to be something I intend to re-watch, or something I would force friends to borrow.

If a Little Norse Prince DVD came out, sub-only, I would buy it. Miyazaki was involved, it's really good, and I want to re-watch it and loan it to people. It's unquestionably Shelf Worthy.

But there are some titles, like Ghost Hound and Claymore that are on the Rental Shelf fence. Both shows are very good rentals, but they aren't really shows I'd re-watch or want to loan to people. Claymore was the entire series box, with a good dub, and some little art booklets, and lots of Extras, at a reasonable price. Normally I wouldn't buy Claymore, but all the nice extras pushed it up over the fence. Ghost Hound is just as good, but nothing is pushing it over the fence.

JackBassV wrote:
By your (current) opinion, that would make both Maria-sama ga Miteru and Aria non-shelf-worthy.

I haven't watched more than a few episodes of either show, but even if they had dubs they might not be Shelf Worthy. I don't really care for either show. That said, I've been collecting the Aria manga and I like it a lot.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
If a Little Norse Prince DVD came out, sub-only, I would buy it. Miyazaki was involved, it's really good, and I want to re-watch it and loan it to people. It's unquestionably Shelf Worthy.

Ask and ye shall receive. You can pick up the UK edition for about £5 ($8.25) from amazon.co.uk.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Ask and ye shall receive. You can pick up the UK edition for about £5 ($8.25) from amazon.co.uk.

Wouldn't that be in PAL? Could I even watch it with VLC? I'd like a nice R1 that I could loan people to play!
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
Do a search on the Internet for "region-free DVD players." They're pretty inexpensive; I saw a Toshiba listed for about $55. That doesn't make lending easy, though, unless you're willing to lend the player as well.

Some computer DVD drives allow you to change the region coding up to five times. Again you'll find a lot of helpful information about how to do this on the Internet.

There's also the option of ripping the DVD to XviD or Matroska and sharing that instead, though DVD ripping per se, even for personal use, violates the no-circumvention provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Even if making the copy were legal, lending it to friends is not. You're only permitted to lend the original under the "first-sale" doctrine.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Wouldn't that be in PAL? Could I even watch it with VLC? I'd like a nice R1 that I could loan people to play!

Uhm, yeah - it would be R2 PAL. Sorry. European film fans these days are used to DVD players being region free (or else easily and legally unlockable) and being able to play both PAL and imported NTSC discs with no major problems. We forget things are different in America.

I don't know much about VLC but after a quick look through the Wikipedia article on it, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't play it.

If you're a big Ghibli / Miyazaki fan, there are also affordable UK editions of Only Yesterday, Tales From Earthsea and (due out in January) Ocean Waves - not to mention a recent Panda! Go Panda! release - so it might be worth investigating further.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Any software player would work, provided you use some additional software to overrider your drive's region protection. DVD43 should suffice for this.

A more expensive solution will probably not be required, unless you're a major Ghibli fan willing to import numerous titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4